Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 24, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Automatic Connected Car System Delayed Until August

Automatic introduced its Automatic Link connected car system in March of this year, promising to ship out the app and the Bluetooth adapter beginning in May.

The system includes a plug-in adapter that is designed to read data from a car's onboard diagnostics, turning nearly any car manufactured after 1996 into a connected car. The adapter utilizes an accompanying iPhone app to provide detailed information on driving habits and car health.

Unfortunately, Automatic has experienced some problems with the aforementioned iPhone app and as a result, it has decided to delay (via Engadget) the final release of the system until August to work out some of the kinks.
Quote:
The good news is that the Link - that little device that plugs into your car - is ready and being manufactured! Unfortunately, we underestimated the time needed to complete the iPhone app and we're sorry to say that it won't be ready until the end of August.
As it is only the software that needs to be tweaked (the hardware is already in production), Automatic is offering its first preorder customers the opportunity to test a beta version of the system. Customers that opt-in to the beta will receive the dongle and the app in mid-June, but the company warns that the current version of the app lacks support for Crash Alert, multiple cars, and multiple users.

Customers who are eligible to participate in the early release of the Automatic Link should have already received an email from the company with details on how to proceed. Customers who ordered later or who order today can expect to receive the Link in August.

The Automatic Link retails for $69.95 and can be preordered from the Automatic website.

Article Link: Automatic Connected Car System Delayed Until August
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

That looks pretty awesome, will probably pick one up! Wonder what it will do for my 2012 Kia Rio
Old May 24, 2013, 05:00 PM   #3
1080p
macrumors 68000

What is so special about this? OBD II adaptors for iPhone and other smartphones is nothing new.
Old May 24, 2013, 05:09 PM   #4
jpmcnown
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
What is so special about this? OBD II adaptors for iPhone and other smartphones is nothing new.
Exactly, but this is magical and revolutionary. Until it's available, THIS will have to suffice.(and it works AWESOME btw)
jpmcnown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 05:21 PM   #5
alsec
macrumors newbie

I like the soothing music in the background. What is it from!!
alsec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #6
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

I'm looking forward to this. I didn't know it existed till now.
JayCee842 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 05:36 PM   #7
akac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What's special is
#1 its cheaper than the others.
#2 the iPhone app is designed for regular people - ala my wife and kids.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:00 PM   #8
1080p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by akac View Post
What's special is
#1 its cheaper than the others.
#2 the iPhone app is designed for regular people - ala my wife and kids.

Uh.... OBD 2 Bluetooth adapters can be had for $15 on eBay. Those are only compatible with Android though. But even the GoLink (iPhone compatible) adapters are only $40-50 online.
1080p is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 06:58 PM   #9
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
easier app to use, some features like crash detection and parking location.

Last edited by verniesgarden; May 24, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
verniesgarden is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 07:16 PM   #10
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Me: "Siri - Increase turbo boost by 50%."

Engine: "Kaboom."
Old May 24, 2013, 08:25 PM   #11
fontman
macrumors member

They need to hire more i OS programers .

The App . is not that hard to write . it may have been more a delay with the hardware not doing all it was spec to do so now they have to do more software coding to get the features they need .
fontman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 08:52 PM   #12
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
I'm buying this the moment it comes out.
SkippyThorson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 09:08 PM   #13
toaster64
Banned

The "check engine" light is a load of BS. The car knows exactly what's wrong with it but doesn't tell you!
toaster64 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
simply stunning
macrumors regular

I pre ordered one of these when they came out for pre order and was sent this email. I decided to opt into the bata.

I have to say I'm pretty annoyed about it, as they sent out an email even 2 weeks ago and said all was on time to ship this month. Not sure what happened in the past two weeks to push out shipping several weeks and not have a full workin app till August?

Oh well
simply stunning is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 12:06 AM   #15
MVallee
macrumors 6502a

"Automatic only supports drivers living in the U.S."

That sucks! I can understand 911 not being supported everywhere but the rest of the features should be compatible with cars in Canada. This seems like a great idea!
MVallee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 12:26 AM   #16
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

"Your son has been in a car crash and help is on the way."

Nice way to freak out parents if it's some fender-bender that doesn't really hurt anyone. I'm hoping it's quite customizable.

Sounds like a good app. I have had my tire pressure light come on a bazillion times in the past. Considering the fact that I have four tires, it annoys me that it won't tell me which one. Same kind of thing with the engine temperature needle that sits between "C" and "H."

What I hope this is is basically like iStat Menus for your car. Tell me what my coolant temperature is. Tell me what my air pressure is. If a mechanic can hook it up to some computer running Windows 95, an iPhone ought to be able to tell you how thick the coat of paint is and what kind of gas you're using. This sounds like the ultimate "way past due" device, even though I know people are saying others exist.
Old May 25, 2013, 01:12 AM   #17
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
Me: "Siri - Increase turbo boost by 50%."
S.I.R.I.: "OK Michael."
Old May 25, 2013, 03:19 AM   #18
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Loving the fact you can clear the "check engine light" fault indicators on your dashboard with your iPhone....., just before you sell it on
Old May 25, 2013, 05:44 AM   #19
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

Built for Amercia for those who need alarms in the car for seat belts, opened doors, car keys, lights left on and park brake. You are a bright lot in Amercia.

Not forgetting the police will use the information gathered against you if required.
KiwiAdventure is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 06:32 AM   #20
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAdventure View Post
Built for Amercia for those who need alarms in the car for seat belts, opened doors, car keys, lights left on and park brake. You are a bright lot in Amercia.

Not forgetting the police will use the information gathered against you if required.
Right. This coming from someone in a country who's big contribution to the world is popularizing jumping off cliffs secured only by a giant rubber band.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:31 AM   #21
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcnown View Post
Exactly, but this is magical and revolutionary. Until it's available, THIS will have to suffice.(and it works AWESOME btw)
$107 plus every app that supports it is another $30 to $40.

The Automatic is $70 and includes their app. But not as detailed.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 08:33 AM   #22
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Uh.... OBD 2 Bluetooth adapters can be had for $15 on eBay. Those are only compatible with Android though. But even the GoLink (iPhone compatible) adapters are only $40-50 online.
I think you've answered your own question in this thread as to why this is such a big deal.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:57 AM   #23
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Right. This coming from someone in a country who's big contribution to the world is popularizing jumping off cliffs secured only by a giant rubber band.
And an unnaturally intimate relationship with sheep...

Seriously, who in their right mind would criticize notifications that warn people to buckle their seatbelt, remove their keys from the car and turn off their lights? Although most of the newer cars just automatically turn the lights off for you...
Old May 25, 2013, 10:09 AM   #24
Detrius
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcnown View Post
But it connects via wifi, which means it kills your Internet connection, right?
Old May 25, 2013, 10:51 AM   #25
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrius View Post
But it connects via wifi, which means it kills your Internet connection, right?
Read the article. It's a Bluetooth connection.
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion