Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
I'm driving 2000 miles Wednesday, first time I'm using a map app in 2 years(used navigon had no problems) . I remember all this trash talk about apple maps...is it really that bad? I plan on using my iphone to guide me home...Is it really that much worse than google maps app?

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I tried to use Apple Maps. I really did. Then it got me lost for an hour in the middle of Vancouver on a drive from Seattle to Whistler, BC. Never again.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I wanted to say I had no issues with Apple maps, however that is not the case. I spent some time in Boston and decided to use Apple maps to find a local restaurant, Apple maps is telling me it's in the opposite direction on the other side of the street, after a short walk I realize this is totally wrong as the place would have been IN the harbor.

So I take out Google Maps, and it pinpoints exactly where this place actually is. I'm hesitant to use Apple's Maps now, I know this was only one incident but when it comes to my driving especially for work I can't afford to get lost when there are apps that have never steered my wrong in the past.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think, before I went, I'd check how it sends me with Google or some other map to see if they agree or at least both get you to same place approximately the same way. I haven't had issues but I don't tend to check for POI but just driving to a specific location that I have entered.
I'd think I'd check, at least, from the last interstate exit to actually where you want to go.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
is it really that bad? I plan on using my iphone to guide me home...Is it really that much worse than google maps app?
Bad and good are always highly subjective. Use it in town and see how it works for you. That's the only way to answer your question. Polling isn't the way to answer questions on preference. If you really want a collection of random opinions then there are plenty of existing threads with varying opinions that you can reference.

Do you no longer have Navigon?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I use it and mostly it's fine. It did have a few issues around the one way system in Birmingham (UK) once but apart from that no complaints. My TomTom used to have the odd issue as well. Satellite Navigation is fine to a point, but you need a bit of common sense and a back up plan. That said I grew up in the map book era so I do worry for the current generation when their Sat Nav goes on the fritz. They are not going to have a clue.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
well, i dont know about your area but it's quite bad in my area. i'm never gonna take the risk of taking a trip with the help of apple maps.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
well, seriously, i've haven't had any issues with apple maps at my place.
i think apple maps are having issues in some particular countries.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
In Scotland the directions seem OK - occasionally they go wrong but not more than dedicated devices in my limited experience. Points of interest on the other hand are cr*p where I live (as much as 10 years out of date)....

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Apple maps works for me

In the sticks of Minnesota, or in the streets of Minneapolis or Rochester, Maps has worked for me. Over that distance, however, you most likely will encounter signal loss at times of either cell towers or GPS satellites so do not expect perfection.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'm driving 2000 miles Wednesday, first time I'm using a map app in 2 years(used navigon had no problems) . I remember all this trash talk about apple maps...is it really that bad? I plan on using my iphone to guide me home...Is it really that much worse than google maps app?
No problems using Apple Maps around VA's largest cities.

When it launched last year, it didn't have nearly as many points of interest on it (like restaurants, gas stations, etc), but it seems pretty on par with Google Maps now. In this area, anyway. :)

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I use it all the time in Los Angeles and it works fine for me. I even took a recent trip to Las Vegas by car and it didn't mislead me there either. I guess it really depends where you live.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
It should be fine now.

I think all the media hype was surrounding the first release of Apple maps. Mapping technology is powered by social media and for years iOS devices were used to make Google maps more accurate. However, now that millions of devices are currently using Apple maps it should be up to par or better than the old mapping software.

If you think about it, the GPS on your phone is sending information back to the service. Therefore, the more folks that use the service the more accurate it will be over time.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Don't do it.

I went on a trip 50 miles away from my home here in the UK last week, and it was telling me to go down roads that didn't exist.

When it got me lost, I was driving down a new dual carriageway which wasn't even on app! That road has been there at least 2 years.

I've sent ~25 reports in to Apple about stuff that's in the wrong place/missing from Maps over the past 6 months, and none of it has yet been added.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
Yeah I went with google maps. It worked perfectly, didn't get lost, got home in the projected time, the turn by turn is awesome!

I don't know why the google map app only has 3 stars.

I Did the trip in 2 days 26 hours of driving north dakota to Louisiana

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Be careful or you might want to go to Macy's and end up at JCPenny...

Google maps will do your laundry and bake you a cake. AND pay your bill evidently.

Use Google maps. Why take the huge risk of a teeny tiny minor inconvenience????

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
Be careful or you might want to go to Macy's and end up at JCPenny...

Google maps will do your laundry and bake you a cake. AND pay your bill evidently.

Use Google maps. Why take the huge risk of a teeny tiny minor inconvenience????

google maps wasn't working for me and I was freaking out, it's not very user friendly.....I got it working though.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Apple maps has consistently been much better than google maps. Better traffic re routing and perfect directions.

POI is crap though.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
I've had a few problems in the past, but perhaps not enough to declare Apple Maps a piece of junk.

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Apple Maps is accurate for me. I'm in the UK for what its worth.

Some things are but some where I live are in the wrong place or dont even exist anymore. There is a pub about 2 miles away which Apple insists is next door to me. Even though I keep reporting at least once a month since Maps was released. :(

Also try planning a route with no motorway junction numbers! You cant, so out comes GoogleMaps again.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Some things are but some where I live are in the wrong place or dont even exist anymore. There is a pub about 2 miles away which Apple insists is next door to me. Even though I keep reporting at least once a month since Maps was released. :(

Also try planning a route with no motorway junction numbers! You cant, so out comes GoogleMaps again.

POI's aren't all that but routing is ace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.