Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
It appears that Sims 2 is screwed up by 10.4.3
Prior to the update it was working fine, but now its screwy.

The game loads fine and everything appears right, but when you select a neighborhood or go into a house, the control panels don't show up right.

The control panels only show up when you move the mouse the far edge of the screen, and when you go to hit a button...they disappear. Everything else works fine.

Anyone else confirm?

wacko42

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Having the same problem here.

Just started playing it a couple days ago too.

Dual 1.8 G5
1.5GB RAM

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
That's the same sort of symptom that happens when you use a video card which is below the recommended power... this wouldnt happen to be an iMac on "Automatic" performance, would it? What happens if you crank it up to "Highest"?

"Automatic" performance in the game? Don't see any type of setting like that.

Besides, if the game was working perfectly fine under 10.4.2, and the only change I make is upgrading to 10.4.3 and then it stops working, the problem is obviously with 10.4.3

wacko42, who is using a PowerMac Dual, is reporting the same problem...and it has a better graphics card. Besides, minimum system requirements for video are ATI Radeon 9000 or NVIDA FX5200 32 MB or better. And it says "This game runs best on on iMac G5 or PowerMac G5..."

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
wacko42 said:
Just started playing it a couple days ago too.

I know...ticks me off.
I just got the game today, and it was working perfectly fine before the update.
:(

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Josh396 said:
I think he's referring to the Automatic setting under Energy Saver in System Preferences for the processor.

Processor performance and that setting should have nothing to do with the video card. :confused:

Tried it anyway...did nothing to help

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Response from Aspyr:

It seems this problem is fairly widespread--for some reason, Sims 2 just doesn't like the update to 10.4.3. We're working on a solid resolution to it, but in the meantime, I would suggest a full reinstall of the software--something generally advisable whenever you update your OS. Make sure to remove the preference files located in Home/Library/Preferances/ as you uninstall. These files are: com.aspyr.TheSims2.plist, com.aspyr.TheSims2BodyShop.plist, The Sims 2Package Installer.plist

The software ought to work unhindered after it's reinstalled, but please let us know if you're still having trouble. We'll be working on an easier fix for this as soon as possible.

(BTW, I don't think a reinstall helps this problem).

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
Mine was messed up BEFORE 10.4.3.

After I reinstalled Tiger cleanly, my copy will not run. I get past the EA logo, the Maxis logo (which doesn't show up, instead shows a red X), and the Sims theme, and then "The Sims 2 Has Quit Unexpectedly"

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
We're having the same problem here. I haven't yet gone down the reinstallation route, but I have tried trashing the pref file. I hoped that, in creating a new one, the problem might resolve itself, unfortunately this did not happen.

Hopefully this will be a top priority at Aspyr because, presumably, many users will upgrade to X.4.3 soon... I think this is the only time I've experienced when upgrading has caused problems with existing software. Grrrrr.

melody

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2005
Same thing with Sims 2 since the upgrade.

I did a complete uninstall (as instructed), then a reinstall. No improvement so I called the people at Aspyr. They asked me what kind of video card I have - GeForce FX 5200 - and said I was "one of the unlucky ones". After many polite apologies they told me to check aspyr.com's support for Sims 2 and assured me they would have either a patch or "work around instructions" in the next few days, ASAP.

The game was working great before the upgrade. Love it and hope to be back at it soon!

Rhwhen

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2005
Oh dear I just installed 10.4.3 today and it has indeed wrecked Sims 2 completely> I wish I'd read this forum before!

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I blame Aspyr it was badly ported over to Mac to begin with. There haven't been reports of other games being screwed by the 10.4.3 update.

melody

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2005
Here's my correspndence with Aspyr:

Original Question
The Sims 2 does not work since upgrade to 10.4.3. Please inform as to patches or work arounds.

Thank you - Love the game!

Melody
Aspyr Media Support Response

Hello, Melody.

We are currently working on a fix for this issue. We have no ETA as yet regarding when it'll be out, but please keep an eye on our support page at http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/10880/support/ for the latest updates on this situation. We're deeply sorry for the inconvenience, but thank you for your feedback!

Aspyr Support Team

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
melody said:
Here's my correspndence with Aspyr:

Original Question
The Sims 2 does not work since upgrade to 10.4.3. Please inform as to patches or work arounds.

Thank you - Love the game!

Melody
Aspyr Media Support Response

Hello, Melody.

We are currently working on a fix for this issue. We have no ETA as yet regarding when it'll be out, but please keep an eye on our support page at http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/10880/support/ for the latest updates on this situation. We're deeply sorry for the inconvenience, but thank you for your feedback!

Aspyr Support Team

That kind of sounds like a computerized response

zooglea

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2005
Most Definitely Screwed Up

Running on a 1.8 ghz G5 and after the 10.4.3 update, the menus have disappeared. Tried a complete reinstall of Sims 2, deleting the prefrenences and even the EA Games Folder, all to no avail. :mad:

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Confirmed.

Can anyone else agree that the Sims is just a bad port however? Im running it on a Imac 1.8 with 1G Ram with the graphics card being 128mb. The frame rate is choppy, never what I would call smooth! Im running it on only low settings but this has no effect!

Anyone else qualify this, or is it just me?

rozwell

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2004
Maxiseller said:
Confirmed.

Can anyone else agree that the Sims is just a bad port however? Im running it on a Imac 1.8 with 1G Ram with the graphics card being 128mb. The frame rate is choppy, never what I would call smooth! Im running it on only low settings but this has no effect!

Anyone else qualify this, or is it just me?

I have a 12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25Gb ram and 64 Mb video, all setting low or off and it barely gets by...

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Amazing that they can't do a decent port for it.

Have you actually tried running it on a Mini, which they say is the minimum spec? It's actually like watching a pot of paint solidify...not fun at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.