Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

wwdc.jpg
Following Tim Cook's appearance at D11 last night, respected Apple journalist Jim Dalrymple has posted his expectations for Apple's WWDC Keynote next month.

It's not clear if Dalrymple, who is known to have excellent contacts at Apple, is passing on something in particular from the company or it's just a summary of what he expects ahead of WWDC.

Dalrymple writes that he doesn't expect a new iPhone or iPad model, largely because the devices are flagship products and would have their own, separate media events. Instead, he believes that the Mac wouldn't warrant its own event -- but an announcement of Mac updates would fit well at WWDC.
The Mac is still an important part of what Apple does, but I don't know that Apple would hold a special event specifically for a Mac product anymore. If they did, it would have to be quite a spectacular product.

For me, the Mac products fit well with a Tim Cook keynote at WWDC. That's all I really expect from Apple in the way of hardware at the conference.
Finally, Dalrymple expects Apple to show off new versions of both the Mac and iOS operating systems, which Tim Cook confirmed last night at D11. A number of previous reports have claimed that much of the iOS user interface would receive a Jony Ive-led revamping, with a "flatter" design and fewer skeuomorphic elements.

Last month, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple's notebook line would receive updates at WWDC, with non-Retina models shipping soon after WWDC and Retina machines shipping later due to production bottlenecks on the displays.

A number of reports have suggested that Apple will introduce new iPhone and iPad models this fall, including a Retina-display equipped iPad mini, as well as a new iPhone model perhaps equipped with a fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: New Macs, Updated iOS and Mac Software, No iOS Hardware Expected for WWDC

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
With a revamped iOS being announced on June 10, it would be unrealistic to expect a new hardware with the new iOS this summer. The new iOS will have to go through extensive beta testing.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
New Mac Pro and iOS7 please. The entire WWDC can happily consist of just those. That would be a major event.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Macs are the most important thing Apple does. I can just live with an Android phone or tablet.

Jakintosh™

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Yup, I just want a Gen 2 rMBP. Give me 256GB standard on the 13" and Haswell, and I'll be first in line. Hopefully they'll be out soon/immediately.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
So, he repeated what Cook already confirmed about OS X and iOS, and added speculation about new Macs, which would not be surprising at all....

Pretty vague. Sounds to me like his contacts don't know anything this time around. (And yes, I know they're usually spot-on.)

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I'm ready to purchase a new rMBP for my wife and a TBD display for us both to use when those products are refreshed. I really hope the 13" MBP models will get quad core processors and the TBD gets an update.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I second the wish for a new Mac Pro. I still remember the disappointment after last year's keynote when the Mac Pro wasn't mentioned. Keen to see the iOS 7 changes inspired by Sir Jony, but my main interest remains the Mac Pro. I hope Apple doesn't let us all down again this year!

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Macs are the most important thing Apple does. I can just live with an Android phone or tablet.

Wrong. To Apple the most import thing they do is make money. iOS devices are where they make the most.

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
I predict there will be major announcements of next generation iOS and OSX at WWDC. So can I be a "Apple analyst"?

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I will be very pissed if the new OS X doesn't work for early '11 MBPs.

I'm running OX 10.8 on a few late 2007 MBP models at work. I think it's safe to say your '11 model will support the next three versions of OS X (at the very least) with no problem.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I will be very pissed if the new OS X doesn't work for early '11 MBPs.

Why would you think that it wouldn't? That would be very unusual. Usually a new OS can be installed on machines 4 years old and certainly on high end machines from that vintage.

Davvid

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
nothin new but some cosmetic changes, cuz there is not much more we need. really we would all be fine with landlines. I think unemployment would be lower if people had to staff phone lines, and answer questions. And it would be faster than wading through phone trees. iwatch, please no.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Wrong. To Apple the most import thing they do is make money. iOS devices are where they make the most.

I don't care what is the most important for Apple. I care about what is most important for the people.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't care what is the most important for Apple. I care about what is most important for the people.

Except you need Apple to get you what you want and frankly, Apple isn't in it to please everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.