Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joellypops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
UK
Hi - Can anyone help?

Running an early 2011 13' MBP on ML. For a year - 18 months I've noticed poor performance at times, consistently slow boot (sometimes 5 minutes to usable), occasional lockups and spotlight often reindexes itself and slows the system (much more than my previous MBP), I can't see anything that triggers it. I'm also getting recurring errors in Disk Utility of 'Invalid block count', every time I'll repair the disk, but after a month of use the error will reappear. About three months ago I erased and reinstalled ML, some of my data was moved over in Time Machine but I didn't restore from it. The erase and reinstall hasn't made any difference and I'm still seeing the same issues. Hard disk SMART status appears to be fine.

Can anyone recommend any troubleshooting steps? I'm not sure what else to do, still under Applecare and was thinking maybe the HD isn't working correctly?

Cheers! :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do a command-r boot to recovery and run Disk Util repair from there and see if that fixes the disk errors. If the disk errors reappear after that it would point to a bad drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.