Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1
marvlaw
macrumors member

Best way to re-sell camera?

I have a Canon S100 that I would like to sell so that I can upgrade to the S110. I understand that there is much of a difference between the two, however my right hand is paralyzed and being able to trip the shutter via a touch screen would be a LOT easier that reaching over to the other side of the camera. That said, I was wondering if anyone could offer advice as to how I can get the most out of my S100.

Thanks in advance
marvlaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
fa8362
macrumors 6502a

I've used eBay to sell all my unwanted photographic equipment.
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:54 AM   #3
RadDave
macrumors regular

Boy, good luck in getting a reasonable deal - my brother has sold several of my old cameras on eBay probably for 20% or less their 'new' purchase price. I have 2 digital cameras at the moment, and one is a Canon S21S (probably paid $500+ new) - selling on Amazon for $600+ - looking at their used ones, just over $100 seems to be the best rate (for one that still works!) - also checked eBay and the prices are quite divergent, although I doubt that I'd get much over $100 (so again 20% or less the new price). Hope that you can get more than I've received in the past -
RadDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:01 AM   #4
fa8362
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Boy, good luck in getting a reasonable deal - my brother has sold several of my old cameras on eBay probably for 20% or less their 'new' purchase price. I have 2 digital cameras at the moment, and one is a Canon S21S (probably paid $500+ new) - selling on Amazon for $600+ - looking at their used ones, just over $100 seems to be the best rate (for one that still works!) - also checked eBay and the prices are quite divergent, although I doubt that I'd get much over $100 (so again 20% or less the new price). Hope that you can get more than I've received in the past -
Depends on the product. A newer camera will sell for much more than an older camera. A demand product will sell for much more than one not in demand.

A few months ago, I sold a Panasonic GH2 for $600 used that I paid $800 for when new.

I sold a Nikon scanner for $4100 used last summer, but only paid $1800 for it new in 2008.

Your 20% estimate is reasonable for most older items though.
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
MCAsan
macrumors 68000

See if the local camera shop resells used equipment. Also KEH (www.keh.com) is one of the largest resellers....see if they will purchase it or take it on trade.
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
maflynn

Ebay, Craigslist and buying/selling sub forum of Dpreview's forums are places I look to buy stuff.

Craigslist is great but its audience may be limited.
eBay - you have to deal with fees, and potential winners of the auction not paying.
Dprieview - I haven't executed any purchases there but I think its generally a good place. I'm a fairly active member at that site.

We here at MacRumors have our own marketplace forum but access to that is allowed after 6 months of membership and 250 posts.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:03 PM   #7
jfletcha
macrumors newbie

Take a picture of it!
jfletcha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:01 PM   #8
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

I'll suggest you sell on eBay too. I don't think your camera is desirable enough to sell on the camera forums, even though it's a good camera.

From my brief check they are $230 to buy brand new with free shipping out of Hong Kong. So be realistic with what you ask, I'd start at somewhere around $180 plus postage. Did you have an extended warranty? That would help it sell quick.

Hope it goes smoothly for you, I've never had any problems selling on fleabay, buying is another thing, especially where it involves free post out of China and they won't do airmail for me... I'm waiting on a laptop battery that just shows as sent when you check the tracking.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:04 PM   #9
ocabj
macrumors regular

For Canon I use the Canon forums or craigslist. Craiglist has actually been pretty good. Sold a 40D, 7D, 24-70, and 580 EX II on craigslist locally. Just be aware that you might get jacked so you need to handle your own security as appropriate.
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
phrehdd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
For Canon I use the Canon forums or craigslist. Craiglist has actually been pretty good. Sold a 40D, 7D, 24-70, and 580 EX II on craigslist locally. Just be aware that you might get jacked so you need to handle your own security as appropriate.
I too have used Craigslist.

What I have learned to do is to meet the person in a very public place. Accept cash only. Also good to have someone with you. Let the person see and try the camera and agree to buy it. Deal done and walk away. If you have any worries about warranties etc., prepare a transfer of ownership paper in duplicate that both of you can sign. Just realize if you sign, you are giving out your personal information. The latter should not be offered up by you but something the other person should bring up. If the buyer does not, skip it entirely.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 04:04 PM   #11
ocabj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
I too have used Craigslist.

What I have learned to do is to meet the person in a very public place. Accept cash only. Also good to have someone with you. Let the person see and try the camera and agree to buy it. Deal done and walk away. If you have any worries about warranties etc., prepare a transfer of ownership paper in duplicate that both of you can sign. Just realize if you sign, you are giving out your personal information. The latter should not be offered up by you but something the other person should bring up. If the buyer does not, skip it entirely.
Public place is the way to go.

What I used to do was have buyers meet me at my (former) shooting range (since closed) that was easy to get to (close to freeway, open to public). Safest transactions ever.
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:12 PM   #12
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a

Could always try fredmiranda forums, that's where I sell my camera gear.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:57 AM   #13
marvlaw
macrumors member

Thank you everyone for your help! I posted to eBay so we will see how that goes. If it doesn't sell I will try these other options. Thanks again!
marvlaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:41 PM   #14
glenthompson
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Public place is the way to go.

What I used to do was have buyers meet me at my (former) shooting range (since closed) that was easy to get to (close to freeway, open to public). Safest transactions ever.
I bought my MBP off Craigslist. Met the kid at the police station for the transaction since his step-dad was a policeman. We both felt quite safe.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 08:00 PM   #15
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthompson View Post
I bought my MBP off Craigslist. Met the kid at the police station for the transaction since his step-dad was a policeman. We both felt quite safe.
How surprising!

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography