Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
Hi.

I have a Mac mini Server Mid 2010 which has 2*500GB HDD.

I cloned the whole system (first 500GB HDD) of my Mac mini and stored it in a different hard drive (second 500GB HDD) which is also inside my Mac mini using CCC.

What I want to happen is that, can I clone or copy (whichever you prefer) the cloned system (which is stored in the second 500GB HDD) to my QNAP TS-212 NAS?

If it can't be done, what equivalent application I could use to get the job done? Or, it can't be done at all?

Last edited:

technowar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
Filesystem is different from the link you posted. Mine is smbfs, Idk why.
p4pHFPA.png

This what happens when I choose Backup (NAS) in the Destination. Most of the items in the left (Mountain Lion) are inaccessible.
bO8nwSL.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are you using SMB or AFP to attach to the NAS. SMB is a windows technology and I think it won't properly handle the metadata. I connect to my NAS by way of AFP.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
SMB because for some weird reasons, AFP can't connect to my NAS.

Edit

I managed to connect via AFP and still the same with above.

I think the pertinant piece of information is this
CCC will only back up system files to locally-attached HFS+ filesystems

Mac OS X can only be installed on an HFS+ formatted volume. This requirement is also carried to a backup volume. When system files are copied to non-HFS+ filesystems, important metadata are invariably lost, resulting in files that cannot be restored to their original functionality. In short, you cannot restore a functional installation of Mac OS X from a backup stored on a non-HFS+ volume. To prevent any misunderstandings about this limitation, CCC will exclude system files from a backup task if the destination is not a locally-attached, HFS+ formatted volume.

Note that the "locally-attached" caveat is an important distinction. Even if your destination volume is HFS+ formatted, if it is attached to an Airport Base Station (for example), then you're accessing the volume via file sharing. If you open the Get Info panel for the volume, you will see that the volume format is "AppleShare", not HFS+. It is not possible to update an OS backup on a network volume. If you would like to maintain a backup of Mac OS X on a network volume, you can back up to a disk image on the network volume. See the related documentation below for additional information on this backup strategy.

Since Qnap is not a locally attached file system it deselects the OSX system files which (for some reason) includes the Application folder. I can understand /Library and /etc and the other system folders but not the Application folder (even though it is created during install)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Since Qnap is not a locally attached file system it deselects the OSX system files which (for some reason) includes the Application folder. I can understand /Library and /etc and the other system folders but not the Application folder (even though it is created during install)

Unless you have a very unusual, very non-standard install all of the folders you are talking about are on the same filesystem: most Macs have a single HFS+ filesystem that contains all the folders...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.