Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

WWDC Rumor Tidbits: Camera Filters and Motion Sensing in iOS 7, iRadio for Mac and Apple TV?

In a roundup of what to expect at next week's World Wide Developers Conference, 9to5Mac has released some new rumors concerning both iOS 7 and Apple's upcoming streaming music service, "iRadio."

Alongside the standard iOS 7 rumors, the site suggests that Apple has been experimenting with camera filters for its built-in camera app, like those used in many third party camera apps such as Instagram.
Quote:
We understand that while many iOS engineers are excited about the potential of filters being built-in to the iPhone's camera app, some Apple executives are not as fond of the feature. With that in mind, we are not sure if filters will make this year's release.
In addition to experimenting with camera features, Apple is also said to be testing new motion technology, which could be used to shift objects on the screen based on device orientation.
Quote:
We have heard whispers that Apple is testing new technologies could move on-screen objects based on the iOS device hardware being moved in-air. For example, app icons could slightly shift depending on the angle that the iPhone is being in held. The technology is similar to what allows the iOS 6 volume controls to rotate based on the iPhone being moved. We are not sure if this feature will make the cut for iOS 7, but the development of this technology is nonetheless intriguing.
As far as Apple's upcoming streaming music service is concerned, 9to5Mac suggests that it could potentially be offered as a pre-installed standalone app alongside iOS 7, but other options include a separate app users would have to download from the App Store or incorporating the service into the existing Music app. There are also rumors that the music service could also be brought to both the Mac and the Apple TV in the future.
Quote:
We have also heard that Apple has expressed interest to record labels about expanding the streaming music service beyond iOS devices. Without sharing specifics, Apple mentioned that it would like to integrate the service into a tweaked version of iTunes and the Apple TV's software.
iOS 7, which is said to feature a total redesign, will be unveiled next monday during Apple's WWDC keynote. Apple is also pushing for a WWDC release of its streaming music service, though it is unclear if the company will be able to achieve that goal.

MacRumors has a detailed roundup that includes more information on what to expect at next week's presentation, including OS X 10.9 and new MacBooks.

Article Link: WWDC Rumor Tidbits: Camera Filters and Motion Sensing in iOS 7, iRadio for Mac and Apple TV?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Enough talking, bring it on already!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
B...
macrumors 68000

Didn't we already do this?
B... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
komodrone
Banned

I wonder if Jony Ive is going to stand up and talk about the design
komodrone is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

So much iOS news I can't keep up! That's a good thing tho
DavidBlack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:10 PM   #6
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
... filters being built-in to the iPhone's camera app, some Apple executives are not as fond of the feature.
$20 says Jony finds them tacky.
slrandall is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

The item regarding shifting app icons depending on device orientation is interesting given the alleged leaked image of iOS 7 that appeared to show the icons off center. Many scrutinized the image as a fake because of it.

dun. Dun. DUN...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:12 PM   #8
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
I wonder if Jony Ive is going to stand up and talk about the design
Yea that would be nice I've only seen Ive on stage once, that was when they started using unibody construction for the MacBooks. So yea I believe he would this time for iOS 7
DavidBlack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:14 PM   #9
iomar
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iomar
A lot is riding on Jony Ive... He can either make it or break it... We just have to wait and see...
iomar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:15 PM   #10
danb77
macrumors 6502

This motion sensing is utterly out of step with both flat design and anti-skeumorphism. I'll believe it when I see it.

Fully expect that skeotastic volume control to disappear in iOS 7...
danb77 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Knighstalker
macrumors member

Quote:
WWDC Rumor Tidbits: Camera Filters and Motion Sensing in iOS 7, iRadio for Mac and Apple TV?

So where is the Apple TV WWDC Rumor Tidbit???
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:16 PM   #12
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

These last few days before a WWDC keynote, iPhone event, or iPhone/iPad release are always the hardest.
rwilliams is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:19 PM   #13
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a

There are enough apps out there already that can make crap photos even crappier (or...sorry...."artistic"). Just leave the filters alone Apple, unless you are talking about something like a physical neutral density filter or polarizing filter.
GuitarDTO is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:20 PM   #14
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighstalker View Post
"There are also rumors that the music service could also be brought to both the Mac and the Apple TV in the future."
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

The dry spell ends on Monday!
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:20 PM   #16
arcite
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrandall View Post
But making all your pics look like old Polaroids never gets old!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:21 PM   #17
Some guy
macrumors member

Yes, that is what iOS 7 needs, camera filters.
Some guy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:23 PM   #18
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighstalker View Post
It's the iRadio addition to it (the AppleTV) and the Mac.
BlueParadox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:25 PM   #19
someone28624
macrumors 6502a

These rumors are rather boring. I'm really hoping there's something good coming that they've just done an amazing job keeping under wraps.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:25 PM   #20
iapplelove
Banned

Just work iphoto and iMovie into iOS
iapplelove is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:26 PM   #21
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Filters would be kind of useless even if you use them, in my opinion. If you use Facebook and want your photos to that network, shooting with the Facebook app now supports filters. If you do the same with Twitter, yep, Twitter supports filters too.

So this would basically only be truly useful to me if I wanted to send one and the same photo easily to both networks. Or if I just for some reason wanted a filtered photo in my camera roll.

Finally, Instagram is the default place people go to for filtered photos. The Twitter filters never took off in my Twitter feed, and the Facebook ones never seem to have done either. I think they're looked down on. So I actually don't think this is a feature in very high demand, despite the popularity of Instagram.

Last edited by Northgrove; Jun 6, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Northgrove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:27 PM   #22
2bikes
macrumors 6502

In 9to5mac, iOS7 usage analytics show resolutions of 320x396 and 320x27088. Does any one know what these are?
2bikes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:29 PM   #23
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

"Total Redesign"

Blah. Glitz, glimmer, bling, flash, not useful.

What I want is two simple things that would make all the devices more useful:

1) Cross OS compatibility. All MacOS software would work on all iOS devices and all iOS software would work on Macintosh computers. I want to use my data and tools no matter where I am or what device I'm using. The computing power is there. Apple's just making the OS's get in the way.

2) Legacy support: Classic, PPC, 68K, etc. I have older data and applications I need to use. When Apple abandon's support the put up a hurdle for people upgrading their hardware and OS. This is costing Apple money because there are a lot of people not upgrading.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:30 PM   #24
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Don't get me wrong, as an iPhone and iPad owner, I'm desperately looking toward iOS7. As a Mac owner, I can't wait to upgrade to a 13in rMBP with Haswell.

But can I see some AppStore love for the AppleTV?!
KylePowers is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:35 PM   #25
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

In addition to experimenting with camera features, Apple is also said to be testing new motion technology, which could be used to shift objects on the screen based on device orientation.
to what practical purpose. I can't think of one. Sounds to me like the same moving shadows that Forstall spent so much time on that he forgot to fully debug the wifi systems and cost users vast time and money on Cell Data charges.

And the same stuff that Sir Jony Ive was speaking against.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrandall View Post
perhaps, but $50 says that this kind of thing. as a DLC perhaps will find its way into iOS at some point.

And I say good. make the software 'plugin' friendly and let those that want get and those that don't skip it. This is the one idea my cousin had that I think is a must do. in iOS, their iOS and Mac apps

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion