Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

YouTube's Mobile Ad Sales Triple Soon After Debuting Ad-Enabled iOS App

Bloomberg is reporting that YouTube has seen its mobile ad sales triple in the past six months, which is partly due to increased usage of its ad-enabled YouTube apps on both iOS and Android.

The company has seen a 42 percent increase in app usage from a year ago, with 70 million smartphone owners using the app in March the United States.
Quote:
The recent growth in usage follows*Apple Inc.'s decision last year to drop YouTube as a core application in the iOS software for iPhones and iPads, said Phil Farhi, director of product management at YouTube
Six months ago Google launched a native YouTube app months after we reported that Apple was set to remove the stock YouTube app with iOS 6. The stock app that had been included with iOS since 2007 did not include ads, but YouTube's new iOS app frequently features ads before videos are played.

Article Link: YouTube's Mobile Ad Sales Triple Soon After Debuting Ad-Enabled iOS App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:31 PM   #2
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

I ususally look away when the ads pop up on my iPhone anyways.
JayCee842 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Astroexe
macrumors member

This could also be due to YouTube restrictions with the Apple stock App or their web-only version - they couldn't put Ads by the videos & they weren't available on some platforms.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
troop231
macrumors 601

I like using the McTube app instead, as it allows you to listen to music in the background.
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:39 PM   #5
B4U
macrumors 6502

Just when will these advertisers realize that they are not going to gain any revenue by advertising with Google annoying the hell out of everyone?
I can't even watch a single video clip without getting an annoying ad that just blocks the subtitle.
B4U is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
daneoni
macrumors G4

Use Jasmine instead. No ads and i can watch HQ videos on mobile data instead of stupid auto throttling.

If you're gonna feed me ads at least let me decided what quality to watch it at. Idiots.

Last edited by daneoni; Jun 7, 2013 at 03:49 AM.
daneoni is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
JoeyCloverfield
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee842 View Post
I ususally look away when the ads pop up on my iPhone anyways.
Don't say that! Next thing you know they'll be adding facial recognition that makes sure you watch them.
JoeyCloverfield is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
macrumors regular

No surprise, it almost mandatory to watch those ads. Mandatory ads shows up meaning they earn money on other people's bandwidth and time. Collecting money on both ends of the process, money collect from people putting up the ad and people watching the ad.
Avatarshark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Just when will these advertisers realize that they are not going to gain any revenue by advertising with Google annoying the hell out of everyone?
I can't even watch a single video clip without getting an annoying ad that just blocks the subtitle.
Well, this is very wrong.
Bill Killer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:04 PM   #10
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

I hate those start of video ads with a passion.

I'd rather pay a small fee to use YouTube every month than put up with their stupid ads. Maybe I need more patience.
TheRainKing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak & block them
Bathplug is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
How do you look away when a Google Glass ad comes in front of you wearing your Google Glass?

I think Google has it all figured out. Resistance is futile.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Simmias
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyCloverfield View Post
Don't say that! Next thing you know they'll be adding facial recognition that makes sure you watch them.
The Galaxy S4 already pauses when you look away...hmm.
Simmias is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:26 PM   #14
yearofthe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainKing View Post
I hate those start of video ads with a passion.

I'd rather pay a small fee to use YouTube every month than put up with their stupid ads. Maybe I need more patience.
I'm going to take a risk here. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this.
But they are some programs to stop ads on sites. If you do use it, make sure to "white list" sites you like such as MacRumors, 9to5mac etc.. so it won't be enabled when you're on their sites. The only time I use it is when a website cluster %#$^s the entire site with pop-ups & ads and those annoying 30-second unskippable ads on YouTube (15 second ones I can tolerate).

Internet Explorer users, which I'm sure they're nil here, are out of luck for such said software.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:40 PM   #15
atticus27
macrumors regular

good for google's revenue although they don't split mobile ad revenue with partners (which is around half of any major channels monthly views).
I do like the app though
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:41 PM   #16
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
It's obvious (from the title) that YouTube's ad growth is directly linked to iOS.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:47 PM   #17
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
Playtube pro is hands down the best and i always cache my videos
RoastingPig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:22 PM   #18
JodyK
macrumors 6502a

I understand why Apple dropped the native stock app but by doing so they have created an increased ad revenue for Google!

Wonder if the trade off is worth it?

I guess I wouldn't want a competitors product shipped integrated with my product either even if not doing so made them more $!
JodyK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:27 PM   #19
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyK View Post
I understand why Apple dropped the native stock app but by doing so they have created an increased ad revenue for Google!

I think the decision to stop bundling YouTube was mutual.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:45 PM   #20
minik
macrumors 65816

That's why I keep my 4th gen iPod touch on iOS 4.3.5. On my iPhone 5, I use Jasmine since the official YouTube app doesn't do a good job.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:01 PM   #21
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofthe View Post
I'm going to take a risk here. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this.
But they are some programs to stop ads on sites. If you do use it, make sure to "white list" sites you like such as MacRumors, 9to5mac etc.. so it won't be enabled when you're on their sites. The only time I use it is when a website cluster %#$^s the entire site with pop-ups & ads and those annoying 30-second unskippable ads on YouTube (15 second ones I can tolerate).

Internet Explorer users, which I'm sure they're nil here, are out of luck for such said software.
Actually IE 9 & 10 effectively have adblockers implemented as 'tracking protection' under 'manage addons'.

Not that I'm trying to defend IE, but it has improved a good bit.

I'm not sure that it blocks youtube ads like the chrome adblocker does though.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:11 PM   #22
toaster64
Banned

That does it, I'm deleting that app. Why did I even install that thing in the first place if it makes the ads work? I already killed them with an axe on my computer... YouTube videos open in QuickTime Player to avoid ads and throttling, plus I can go to recent videos, save videos I want to keep, rip the audio whenever I want, trim, play in reverse and fast/slow motion, automatically get just the video without junk on the side, etc.

----------

Quote:
Those retarded Toyota ads do not make me want to trust those people. I get low-quality, ear-piercing ads telling me that Prius technology can make a roller coaster POWER ITSELF. Screw you, laws of physics
toaster64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:43 PM   #23
atticus27
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyK View Post

I guess I wouldn't want a competitors product shipped integrated with my product either even if not doing so made them more $!
ya people have to sit through ads (which suck), but it makes youtube and the content creators more money. Also google pushes out a lot of updates constantly improving there apps
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:30 AM   #24
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

Last I heard to access the Internet on your phones is not free. Stop this free bullcrap. Ads are just plain annoying.
tonyr6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 01:10 AM   #25
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You get annoyed, yet your brain still hears the ad and processes it.

I'm just thankful that AdBlock on Cydia works in the app

I also use my dd-wrt router to block ads for all devices by returning 0.0.0.0 for the IP when an ad is called. Any protocol, any port, always.
cclloyd is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion