Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Well its official. Apple has just stated that the 4th gen won't be getting iOS 7. I can't say that I'm surprised and I can even say I told you so.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Well its official. Apple has just stated that the 4th gen won't be getting iOS 7. I can't say that I'm surprised and I can even say I told you so.

What's terrible about that is they were still selling it until recently, and yet it's going to be dumped by the end of this year.

Yes, it'll still work for some things, but it won't be safe to use it online or the like without security updates.

I think only supporting hardware 2 years is absurd, but in this case they'll have dumped it what, MAYBE six months after selling it?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
What's terrible about that is they were still selling it until recently, and yet it's going to be dumped by the end of this year.

It does seem weird that they stopped supporting it with updates shortly after they stopped selling it. It may be for the better though if iOS 6 runs reliably on it and iOS 7 would have slowed it down.
I've been using iOS 5 on my iPad for quite some time after Apple stopped providing updates and it still works great for many things.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Part of me is sad. Part of me is relieved.

Sad that this is the end of the road for the 4g.I was hoping that we'd at least get a stripped down version of iOS 7 , but not to be.

Relieved, since the upgrade to iOS 6 made the 4g almost unusable. It took a coupe of updates after that to be usable. I wont have to worry about that happening now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.