No iOS 7 for 4th gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TacticalDesire, Jun 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012
    Well its official. Apple has just stated that the 4th gen won't be getting iOS 7. I can't say that I'm surprised and I can even say I told you so.
  2. macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire
    The gen 4 Touch can't run IOS 6 that well. Did anyone really think that IOS 7 would support the gen 4 Touch ?
  3. macrumors 68030

Sep 7, 2006
    What's terrible about that is they were still selling it until recently, and yet it's going to be dumped by the end of this year.

Yes, it'll still work for some things, but it won't be safe to use it online or the like without security updates.

I think only supporting hardware 2 years is absurd, but in this case they'll have dumped it what, MAYBE six months after selling it?
  4. macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2011
    Saint louis, MO
    256mb of RAM killed it

it's under powered and always has been, same with the first gen iPad.
  5. thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012
    I was skeptical of the 256mb of RAM back in 2010. The fact that they were selling it up until last week was almost criminal.
  6. macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2010
    It does seem weird that they stopped supporting it with updates shortly after they stopped selling it. It may be for the better though if iOS 6 runs reliably on it and iOS 7 would have slowed it down.
    I've been using iOS 5 on my iPad for quite some time after Apple stopped providing updates and it still works great for many things.
  7. macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2012
    Part of me is sad. Part of me is relieved.

Sad that this is the end of the road for the 4g.I was hoping that we'd at least get a stripped down version of iOS 7 , but not to be.

Relieved, since the upgrade to iOS 6 made the 4g almost unusable. It took a coupe of updates after that to be usable. I wont have to worry about that happening now.
  8. macrumors 68040

Aug 24, 2012
    New York, USA
    All i do is watch Netflix on my ipad 1. Netflix crashes once in while...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2