Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:08 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Claims 20% of U.S. E-Book Market, Double Previous Estimates




Publishers Weekly reports (via paidContent) that testimony from Apple executive Keith Moerer in the ongoing e-book price fixing trial has revealed that Apple holds approximately 20% of the e-book market in the United States, roughly double many of the previous estimates made by third parties.
Quote:
The government also focused on the relative success of the iBookstore asking Moerer what marketshare the store held in the months after launch (about 20% Moerer said) and what its marketshare was after several years of operation and adding Random House in 2011 (also about 20%).
Beyond the market share claim, Moerer pointed to strong growth of the iBookstore in vigorously challenging the U.S. government's assertion that Apple's e-book effort has been a failure.
Quote:
The government called the iBookstore "a failure," and charged that "Apple pricing was unfair to consumers," and that "Apple sold fewer books because of the higher price caps." Moerer challenged that characterization, "I disagree. E-book sales grew 100% last year at the iBookstore and it had over 100 million customers." The government countered that "when you drop prices you sell more books," and Moerer said, "sometimes, yes."

But the government bluntly said, "Apple forgot to focus on customers that's why the iBookstore is a failure." Moerer: "that's not true."
Testimony in the case is now in its second week, with Apple senior vice president for Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue scheduled to take the stand tomorrow.

Article Link: Apple Claims 20% of U.S. E-Book Market, Double Previous Estimates
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Semester
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
That was surprising!

The strength of the iTunes ecosystem is easy to underestimate I guess.
Semester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Mac21ND
macrumors 6502a
 
Mac21ND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
If Apple has 20%, I'm curious who makes up the other 80% (?)
Mac21ND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:12 AM   #4
segers909
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
This is remarkable considering they do not sell any E-ink devices.
__________________
iPhone/iPod Touch expert
Having problems? Need help? Feel free to PM me!
segers909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:14 AM   #5
powers74
macrumors 68000
 
powers74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the bend in the river
Send a message via AIM to powers74
Sounds like they're pulling some pretty basic reverse psychology on Eddy- EDIT: sorry, Moerer- there. I can see them turning those numbers on Apple.
__________________
“What do you think, Phil? Too much?”

Last edited by powers74; Jun 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Wrong name
powers74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:15 AM   #6
bigcat318
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
The Gov stating things as facts with no backup? You dont say.
bigcat318 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
But the government bluntly said, "Apple forgot to focus on customers that's why the iBookstore is a failure." Moerer: "that's not true."
WTF? It is a failure because the government claims it is a failure? That's it? Are these guys just naturally stupid or do they have to go to special training courses?
gnasher729 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Cue: "Apple should just buy the government" or "The gov is stupid bringing a case like this" (because we consumers like price fixing higher than what it would have cost for the same book from others like Amazon), and similar. Those that feel this way, please send all the money you can make for as little as nothing in return payable to Apple, Inc, 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014. I'm sure they'll appreciate your donations in support of this kind of business behavior which helps the publishers at our expense and basically pressures alternate competitors like Amazon to RAISE their eBook prices.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Badandy
macrumors 68040
 
Badandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac21ND View Post
If Apple has 20%, I'm curious who makes up the other 80% (?)
ummm....Amazon.
__________________
2012 13" Macbook Air: 1.8, 128 SSD, 8GB RAM
iPhone 4S 32GB (Black)
Badandy is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Boomchukalaka
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
How does the government calling the iBook store a failure do anything to move forward its case against Apple? Isn't the basis of this case the negotiations that Apple had with the publishing companies? I find this case incredibly interesting in as far as that the government is going after Apple for the price of ebooks yet oil companies continue to have free reign to price gouge at every drop of the hat.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
WTF? It is a failure because the government claims it is a failure? That's it? Are these guys just naturally stupid or do they have to go to special training courses?
Well they are lawyers...and they do work for the government...
Boomchukalaka is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:21 AM   #11
ValSalva
macrumors 68040
 
ValSalva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Burpelson AFB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
ummm....Amazon.
Exactly. I'm surprised Amazon isn't at 95%. Good to see Apple at 20% if these numbers are to be believed.
ValSalva is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Red Oak
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
This government of ours is out of control. The amount of money being wasted on this trail is mind blowing
Red Oak is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:29 AM   #13
writingdevil
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
WTF? It is a failure because the government claims it is a failure? That's it? Are these guys just naturally stupid or do they have to go to special training courses?
It's incredibly ironic and ludicrous that the US Government is lecturing Apple on wooing and taking care of customers.
writingdevil is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Mac21ND
macrumors 6502a
 
Mac21ND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Exactly. I'm surprised Amazon isn't at 95%. Good to see Apple at 20% if these numbers are to be believed.
You'll also have B&N in there as well.
Mac21ND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:31 AM   #15
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Then Amazon doesn't have a monopoly, now does it?
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:31 AM   #16
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchukalaka View Post
I find this case incredibly interesting in as far as that the government is going after Apple for the price of ebooks yet oil companies continue to have free reign to price gouge at every drop of the hat.
I think Apple should get into the oil business and launch a string of Apple gas stations with gas priced at about $10/gallon. What is a gouge by existing oil companies will probably be spun into comments like "but my car is snappier when I use Apple gas" or "I've noticed a significant improvement in how my car runs with Apple gas" and probably some "Die, Exxon Die", etc.

Then, a few months later, out comes Samsung Oil with bigger screen gas pumps at about 2/3 of the price of Apple-branded gas. And of course, that will be substantially inferior gas even if Samsung is the underlying supplier to themselves and Apple's gas stations.

All
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:31 AM   #17
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
This government of ours is out of control. The amount of money being wasted on this trail is mind blowing
Yes, our government is very wasteful. But, no matter how the government acts or how Apple's high-powered lawyers spin Apple's behavior/words, it's more than highly likely Apple is guilty in this case. The evidence is overwhelming.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 AM   #18
BobVB
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by segers909 View Post
This is remarkable considering they do not sell any E-ink devices.
Agreed. Any standard book that doesn't need color I buy on Amazon so I can use it on a nice cheap kindle outside, at the beach or any other high light environment where an iPad is useless.

But then there lots of people like my sister who don't even know that iPads can read kindle books.
BobVB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 AM   #19
vmachiel
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Holland
I read all my books now on my retina iPad. Love it! 20% is still way higher than what I would have guessed, very nicely done Apple
__________________
2010 MBP, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD; 32GB Silver iPhone 5S; 32 GB Wifi iPad (3rd gen)
vmachiel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:33 AM   #20
AppleVsAndroid
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
This government of ours is out of control. The amount of money being wasted on this trail is mind blowing
When has government ever made money?
They always reach the pockets of people and by borrowing from countries like China.
Its the only job where politicians rip off money from people to get their paychecks for doing experiments on people, economy and country!
AppleVsAndroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:34 AM   #21
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post
This government of ours is out of control. The amount of money being wasted on this trail is mind blowing
The trial is about not allowing big companies to screw over us consumers by fixing ebook prices at higher than what they would have otherwise sold for. In other words, this is the (seeming rare) government action actually trying to do something for the people- not the huge corporations- and we're finding fault with it because one of the culprits happens to be Apple. If this was a thread about someone like Samsung or Amazon doing the same, I bet the sentiment would be substantially the other way.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:37 AM   #22
Plutonius
macrumors 68040
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Yes, our government is very wasteful. But, no matter how the government acts or how Apple's high-powered lawyers spin Apple's behavior/words, it's more than highly likely Apple is guilty in this case. The evidence is overwhelming.
Why don't you wait till the verdict is announced. .

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
The trial is about not allowing big companies to screw over us consumers by fixing ebook prices at higher than what they would have otherwise sold for. In other words, this is the (seeming rare) government action actually trying to do something for the people- not the huge corporations- and we're finding fault with it because one of the culprits happens to be Apple. If this was a thread about someone like Samsung or Amazon doing the same, I bet the sentiment would be substantially the other way.
Do you work for Amazon ?
Plutonius is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:37 AM   #23
theBB
macrumors 68020
 
theBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Yes, our government is very wasteful. But, no matter how the government acts or how Apple's high-powered lawyers spin Apple's behavior/words, it's more than highly likely Apple is guilty in this case. The evidence is overwhelming.
Unfortunately, not one evidence of illegal behavior has been presented. Government is adding a lot of events and anecdotes together, each which is perfectly legal, to weave a tale of illegal collision. We'll see if the jury buys it, but with all the inevitable appeals that awaits, the final outcome will not be known for a long number of years.
theBB is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:38 AM   #24
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Why don't you wait till the verdict is announced. .

----------



Do you work for Amazon ?
Yeah, 20% of sales and 50% of the profits.
Noctilux.95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Oletros
macrumors 601
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
Unfortunately, not one evidence of illegal behavior has been presented. Government is adding a lot of events and anecdotes together, each which is perfectly legal, to weave a tale of illegal collision. We'll see if the jury buys it, but with all the inevitable appeals that awaits, the final outcome will not be known for a long number of years.
There is no jury
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is offline   4 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC