Dell Printer with Mac? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Nov 4, 2005, 01:39 PM   #1
elhobbo
macrumors newbie

Dell Printer with Mac?

This might be a very stupid question but I am new to Macs. Is it possible to use my Dell A920 Inkjet printer with my Mac? I have gone to Dell's website and there are only XP and 2000 drivers available. Any help is appreciated.

El Hobbo
elhobbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 01:41 PM   #2
link92
macrumors 6502

If it has a USB cable, probably.
link92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 01:43 PM   #3
elhobbo
macrumors newbie

Yes it has a USB cable but connectin git isn't my problem, its getting the mac to recognise it. Is there a printer set up wizard or something?
elhobbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 01:46 PM   #4
link92
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhobbo
Is there a printer set up wizard or something?
Nope. Just plug it in and it should work.
link92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Eluon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Eluon
we very rarely deal with drivers. plug it in and it will work.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 02:24 PM   #6
DaftUnion
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to DaftUnion
It's a mac. Plug it in. It works. End of story.
iPhone 8gb
DaftUnion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 03:01 PM   #7
cube
macrumors G3

This is a Dell printer. How would it work if Dell makes no Mac drivers that Apple can include with the system?
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 04:50 PM   #8
dmachine
macrumors member

Dell doesnt make their own printers, they just slap their name on it and sell it. I believe that Epson makes their printers, you might be able to try and Epson driver and have that work.
dmachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 04:55 PM   #9
liketom
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to liketom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmachine
Dell doesnt make their own printers, they just slap their name on it and sell it. I believe that Epson makes their printers, you might be able to try and Epson driver and have that work.
os x has epson drivers built in i think , so just plug the printer in and spotlight printer setup util and add it that way
liketom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:49 AM   #10
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftUnion
It's a mac. Plug it in. It works. End of story.
This is true for some things, but both the printers I've bought to use with my PowerBook have required me to install drivers from the included CD. No big deal, and I didn't have any trouble getting them to work, but it was more complicated than just plugging them in.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:09 PM   #11
katie ta achoo
macrumors 601
Blogger

go into system preferences and go to "printers and fax" set it up from there.

It should work.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 03:32 PM   #12
SummerBreeze
macrumors 6502a

Whenever I'm at a friend's house and I feel the need to print, I never have a problem with just plugging it in and printing without drivers. Like most other people have said, since it's a Mac you can usually just plug it in and it works. No more wizards to go through or anything.

Of course if it doesn't work, you can always google your printer name and see if someone else has come up with a way to make it work. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 03:44 PM   #13
homerjward
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to homerjward
an a920 will not work with a mac.
believe me, ive tried...
Old Nov 5, 2005, 04:09 PM   #14
ryannel2003
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ryannel2003
Hello everyone!

Unfortunaetly, Dell's printers are only supported by Windows 2000 and XP. It even says so on there site. I guess you could try plugging it in and going under Printer Setup Utility, but I don't think that will help. Lexmark makes Dell's printers, so you could try going to the Lexmark website and find the printer that matches yours closely and see if those drivers work.
ryannel2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 04:28 PM   #15
micvog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmachine
Actually, last I heard Dell uses Lexmark. The A920 is a X1150 IIRC which does support Mac OS 9 as well as Mac OS X. I would try that driver although I have no first-hand knowledge that it will work.

Michael
micvog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:40 PM   #16
pbbaker123
macrumors regular

Me too

I just got handed one of these... I have the Lexmark driver downloaded but it won't install because it requires that the printer be connected during installation...

Anyone have this problem...
pbbaker123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:43 AM   #17
jasonpc
macrumors newbie

i have an A924, and i am having the same problem. Pretty fed up, might just go buy a new printer. Just got rid of my Dell laptop for the new MacBook, very satisifed!
jasonpc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:00 PM   #18
gsahli
macrumors 6502a

No one has reported being successful at getting Lexmark drivers to recognize the equivalent Dell (non-postscript) printer.
Sorry.
gsahli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:05 PM   #19
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpc View Post
i have an A924, and i am having the same problem. Pretty fed up, might just go buy a new printer. Just got rid of my Dell laptop for the new MacBook, very satisifed!
You buy your MacBook at an Apple store? They should have a $100 printer rebate going on. Applied to one of their $99 printers, the printer nets out to $0.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:06 PM   #20
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

The only hope you might have with getting a Del printer to work is by using the gutenprint drivers. It may or may not work.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:15 PM   #21
MisterMe
macrumors G4

There are two ways for a Mac user to use a printer that is not supported by its vendor for MacOS X. You connect it to a Windows computer set it up as a PostScript printer. If you don't have a Windows computer, then you can use a compatible CUPS driver. Gutenprint is a popular bundle of CUPS drivers for a wide array of printers. Printers not supported by Gutenprint may be supported by The Linux Foundation's OpenPrinting project. The Foundation has four listings for Dell printers with the "924" model number. The Dell photo 924 works perfectly. The other three, including the Dell Photo AIO 924 (All In One), are listed as paperweights.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 02:57 PM   #22
SecretAlibi
macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Macbook Pro. and i have a dell AIO photo 924 printer..I can get the computer to recognize it via USB but i dont know what driver to tell it to use..any help??
SecretAlibi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:16 PM   #23
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAlibi View Post
... i have a dell AIO photo 924 printer...any help??
You didn't read my post that is immediately above yours. I suggest that you read it.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:38 PM   #24
drplatt
macrumors newbie

macbook and dell printer

I am trying to connect my dell photo 924 printer to my macbook. I see that people have been posting directions for how to go about doing that; however, I am not sure I understand this computer-speak.
I have contacted both mac and dell on this matter and they have both told me that connecting the 2 is impossible.
any help?
drplatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:18 PM   #25
rdturner1955
macrumors newbie

Dell 300cn Printer and Mac OSX 10.6 in COLOR

I am happy to say this is wrong. But it ain't easy. After spending a half day trying various solutions - I now have my Dell 300cn printing in color under OSX 10.6. It was easy enough adding the networked 300cn using a Gutenprint driver for PCL, but wi]ould only print in grayscale. After almost giving up, I happened on the Linux open print sight and the driver named HPIJS. Follow this link http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...g/macosx/hpijs to get to that site - and install HPIJS as follows.

1. need to install HPIJS for Mac OS X web page: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...g/macosx/hpijs
2. first install GPL Ghostscript from the same page (or gplgs-8.64so-ub.dmg)
3. next install Foomatic-RIP for Mac OS X from the same page (or Foomatic-RIP 4.0.2)
4 install HPIJS from the same page (or hpijs-3.9.2-ub.dmg)
5. Go to the Printer & Fax under system prefs, and click the "+" under the left pane. Select IP. Select Protocol: "HP Jetdirect - Socket: On the Address field type in the IP address for your networked printer. Leave Queue blank On name foeld type any name you choose. On the Print using selection select: ""Select printer software". A dialog box will pop up = type "pcl 6" into the search field and then select "HP Color Lasjet Series PCL 6 CUPS"
6. I imagine this may work with other Dell printers too.
7. It will print fairly slowly - but at least in prints in color. If speed is an issue, and color is not needed, go thru this process from #5 on again and select a Generic PCL 6/PCL XL - Cups+Gutenprint option. It's very fast but only prints in grayscale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
Hello everyone!

Unfortunaetly, Dell's printers are only supported by Windows 2000 and XP. It even says so on there site. I guess you could try plugging it in and going under Printer Setup Utility, but I don't think that will help. Lexmark makes Dell's printers, so you could try going to the Lexmark website and find the printer that matches yours closely and see if those drivers work.
rdturner1955 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals