Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 15, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
littlepooch21
macrumors member

Buy Movies for just Digital Copy

Does anyone here buy a blu-ray movie just for the iTunes digital copy so you can have it to stream all the time? My movie collection is out of control and it would be nice to have everything digital/over the cloud. Does anyone do this?
littlepooch21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2
itickings
macrumors 6502a

Extremely few digital copies are redeemable in iTunes where I live, so it is really not an option for me. I think I have a grand total of one movie redeemed in iTunes, and a bunch of never-redeemed digital copies requiring Windows...

I have to cloudify my DVDs and blu-rays myself using unRAID and Plex. On the plus side, my computer only has to bother with mostly music and apps in my iTunes library.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:54 AM   #3
Michael CM1
macrumors 603

Why don't you just buy the movie from iTunes? I still haven't lucked into these rumored HD digital copies. So if you buy from iTunes, you've got no disc to worry about.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:48 PM   #4
javisan
macrumors regular

I stopped buying blu-ray when all the ones that I had bought only included an SD digital version of the movie. This is an insult to the consumer. So when I buy something, i just do it through iTunes so I have no disc to rip and it all works seamlessly between my iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air and Apple TVs with no effort at all.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Carlanga
macrumors 603

I just buy my DC and UV copies online from people in another forum that is dedicated to all things blu-ray You can get DC copies from other members that have bought the BD and don't care for the DC or UV for $1-5, depending on how early you want to get your DC movie.

I have more than 225 digital movies, I just buy digital for all movies that I think I like, but just not enough to buy the full BD.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javisan View Post
I stopped buying blu-ray when all the ones that I had bought only included an SD digital version of the movie. This is an insult to the consumer. So when I buy something, i just do it through iTunes so I have no disc to rip and it all works seamlessly between my iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air and Apple TVs with no effort at all.
Most new movies finally come with HD versions now
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:22 PM   #6
littlepooch21
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
I just buy my DC and UV copies online from people in another forum that is dedicated to all things blu-ray You can get DC copies from other members that have bought the BD and don't care for the DC or UV for $1-5, depending on how early you want to get your DC movie.

I have more than 225 digital movies, I just buy digital for all movies that I think I like, but just not enough to buy the full BD.

----------

do they all save to the cloud, or do you have to keep a copy on your computer
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
do they all save to the cloud, or do you have to keep a copy on your computer
There are only a few that I know that don't save in iCloud; like act of valor for example
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:30 PM   #8
littlepooch21
macrumors member

Quote:
There are only a few that I know that don't save in iCloud; like act of valor for example
yeah i have just starting buying like that also. i have noticed all are on the cloud so far.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Music8Guyz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by javisan View Post
For what it's worth, I regularly view the document here created by our very own Gadget-Man. It has helped be a deciding factor for me as to whether I'll buy BD + Digital Copy, or just get it straight Digital.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:24 PM   #10
yancey47
macrumors regular

I've bought a few Blu-Rays just for the digital copies because they were much cheaper than iTunes.
yancey47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:48 AM   #11
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

Oh fantastic. Can you PM me the site?

I buy 3D movies with itunes digital copy as those represent the most value to me personally. I don't buy blu ray any more if it does not come with an itunes copy. Just not mobile enough.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater