Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Lytro Camera Gets Wi-Fi Capabilities, New Lytro Mobile App

The Lytro Light Field Camera, which was released in late 2011, is designed to capture refocusable images, allowing the perspective of the picture to be changed at will. Today Lytro announced that it has turned on a hidden Wi-Fi feature in the camera to go alongside the release of a new Lytro app.

Quote:
Pssst. We're letting you in on a little secret. That Lytro camera you own has a little wireless chip inside. And, as of today, we are turning it on for the first time to give you a great new capability - wireless uploading and sharing!

Introducing the Lytro Mobile app. If you own an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch device, you can now experience and share light field pictures on the go. The app communicates with your Lytro camera, whose wireless capabilities can be activated with a free software update, and lets you preview and upload pictures to Lytro.com using either a cellular or Wi-Fi network.
With the Lytro app, Lytro users can wirelessly upload images taken with the camera to share, while non-Lytro users can explore the device's Perspective Shift functionality. Pictures from the app can be shared to Lytro.com, Facebook, or Twitter, and living pictures can be saved to the camera roll as animated GIFs.

Lytro owners can activate the new Wi-Fi functionality through a firmware update.

Lytro is an iPhone-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Lytro Camera Gets Wi-Fi Capabilities, New Lytro Mobile App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Kranchammer
macrumors member

That form factor...

more like Ka-Lytro-scope, amirite?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:42 PM   #3
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranchammer View Post
That form factor...

more like Ka-Lytro-scope, amirite?
Yes, but I still want one. What I could do with some of the pictures that I've taken throughout the years!

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4
tekno
Banned

Clever technology, but this camera a such an epic flop.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
filmantopia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Clever technology, but this camera a such an epic flop.
Pretty sure the reception has been on par with their expectations. It's not like they are clueless that it can be a lengthy and iterative process to introduce the world to a new technology. I think they'll be just fine.

I wonder if a cellphone-maker like Apple will buy them out eventually.
filmantopia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Cool update. But at $399, I just can't do it.
I'm not saying it's not worth $400, I have no idea.. It's just way more than I'd be willing to invest in a very niche, cool but almost gimmicky, product.

$200, and who knows, I might pull the trigger.

I must sound cheap, since a decent point and shoot camera can easily cost more than $200...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Imhotep397
macrumors regular

They need to improve low light exposure and have options to capture larger resolution images...it's kind of frustrating that this hasn't happened yet.
Imhotep397 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

It always seems more like a proof of concept that a product to me.
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:36 PM   #9
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

If they can increase the resolution significantly, sometime in the future, this idea has merit, and could see wider adoption.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:16 PM   #10
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I wish it had a resolution comparable to other point and shoots, then I'd definitely consider it.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:17 PM   #11
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020

It's a neat technology but the reality of physics is just stacked against Lytro being a successful major commercial product. It needs a larger and more powerful sensor to be useful since the depth of field with that small sensor is just too deep and that limits its usefulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
I wish it had a resolution comparable to other point and shoots, then I'd definitely consider it.
Getting all the extra information takes too much processing power and a severe reduction in resolution. It'll probably be a while before there's enough pixel density along with cheap enough processing power to make a high resolution Lytro viable.
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:07 PM   #12
iHateMacs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
It always seems more like a proof of concept that a product to me.
Me too. How it ever got in to production in this stage of development is a mystery.

It's a great idea if it could be applied to a DSLR.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:20 PM   #13
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a

Wow kudos to them. That is some upgrade to an existing product.

That's like Apple coming around and saying "Oh hey, that iPhone we sold you 2 years ago, it now has built in FM Radio!". In fact Apple could actually do this, because some iPhones have had a bluetooth chip that can do exactly that.

Apple just haven't bothered doing it. Lytro have, and I respect that. I'd almost buy one But it's not a product that interests me.
GekkePrutser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhotep397 View Post
They need to improve low light exposure and have options to capture larger resolution images...it's kind of frustrating that this hasn't happened yet.
They shouldn't have used such a tiny sensor in the first place and since they did, they should've focused on upping the sensor size instead of adding connectivity.

Pelican is gonna end up pushing Lytro out of the market. 8 MP image, can also do video, and already partnered with Nokia to put it on smartphones. Instead of standalone kaleidoscope looking devices
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:42 AM   #15
BoxBrownie
macrumors newbie

Way to expensive considering I have an iPhone which takes really nice pictures already. If it was 50 bucks, definitely.
BoxBrownie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:09 AM   #16
Sol
macrumors 65832

Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
Wow, talk about bad timing to announce a great feature. Am I the only one a bit creeped out about a manufacturer announcing that their product has wireless capability that was kept a secret until now? Given the NSA scandal and the US government's unwarranted surveillance of everyone on the internet, it seems deceitful to sell a networkable device without making it clear to the buyer. Cool feature but it should not have been kept a secret.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:13 AM   #17
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhotep397 View Post
Because this would require possibly a new hardware.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Wow, talk about bad timing to announce a great feature. Am I the only one a bit creeped out about a manufacturer announcing that their product has wireless capability that was kept a secret until now? Given the NSA scandal and the US government's unwarranted surveillance of everyone on the internet, it seems deceitful to sell a networkable device without making it clear to the buyer. Cool feature but it should not have been kept a secret.
I think the contrary. It's actually clever to have wait about it until the app was ready. Otherwise people would have complained they can't use it.

Now they are happy because they have a new feature they didn't expect for free.

BTW, why they don't charge their customer again like Apple did with the SOX excuse ...
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #18
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.damien View Post
I think the contrary. It's actually clever to have wait about it until the app was ready. Otherwise people would have complained they can't use it.

Now they are happy because they have a new feature they didn't expect for free.
I agree. It's a nice gesture and as a smaller company they probably didn't have resources required to implement all the features in time. It takes time to program and test the feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.damien View Post
BTW, why they don't charge their customer again like Apple did with the SOX excuse ...
Lytro isn't a public company unlike Apple so I don't think the accounting rule applies here.
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:41 AM   #19
halfapie
macrumors member

I love the idea of this camera and wifi is nice... but the resulting image is too low-resolution to use for anything besides tech-demo.

I have been waiting for them to double the resolution, at which point I'd buy one. who cares about bells and whistles when the image is too small?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Could they make a pro camera using this tech? It would be hugely expensive of course, but if it could take near DSLR quality photos with the refocusing wizardry then Id have thought some photographers would be interested?

Maybe a partnership with a high end company like red?

Last edited by Kissaragi; Jun 20, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:29 PM   #21
danahn17
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfapie View Post
I love the idea of this camera and wifi is nice... but the resulting image is too low-resolution to use for anything besides tech-demo.

I have been waiting for them to double the resolution, at which point I'd buy one. who cares about bells and whistles when the image is too small?
Agreed. I've seen some sample images and the technology isn't quite up there, especially for the price they are charging. Maybe in a generation or two it will improve enough... but for now, I think it's better to have the first adopters be guinea pigs
danahn17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 04:05 PM   #22
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfapie View Post

If you want a see lightfield photography packaged in a way that's more consumer friendly, look up what Pelican Imaging has been doing

- 4x4 camera array, which gives you the same lightfield capabilities as Lytro
- 8MP image + video capture
- 3D image / video capture
- Can fit into a smartphone and they've already partnered with Nokia

And if you have a 3D Printer you'd be able to do this

I like Lytro and I was thinking about buying one of those cameras when they first came out, but 2 years later and they're still trying to let Lightfield sell itself instead of helping the consumer find ways to use it. They're pulling a Xerox

Last edited by Liquorpuki; Jun 20, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Liquorpuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:24 AM   #23
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

How did the chip not get noticed before this? Teardowns only happen with MB Airs these days?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion