Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

putongnihongo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Ok there are some things apple does great. But the one fatal flaw of Apple culture can be called arrogance. It was arrogant of Forstall to assume tackling an internet service through a software perspective was sufficient. And because of this Apple paid a terrible price. One of my old classmates has recently become employed at Apple as a data scientist. He has been employed at various mapping companies and Garmin and as an Apple lover he felt he had a duty to improve on a product that he loves. Well the other day I was having lunch with him and although he keeps secrecy at a premium he seemed quite agitated. When I asked him what was the big deal he announced that Apple had come up with an ingenious way to solve the bottleneck that comes with mapping out data from many different sources. Of course he didn't give me any concrete details but kept on saying how the algorithms he helped design will revolutionize digital mapping and when they are finally put into action will blow away everyone that pissed on Apple Maps. Yes it is hearsay especially coming from an online forum but the key point is if people like my friend are truly involved with this project, people that truly believe in creating great experiences for customers, we are all in for a pleasant surprise. And luckily for me he said his next project involves Hong Kong and Singapore so here's hoping to better mapping solutions to cities I fly to all the time.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Whoa this sounds exciting! I hope you're not making this up :D

I'm curious what this is . . . Can you be at all anymore specific?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Ok there are some things apple does great. But the one fatal flaw of Apple culture can be called arrogance. It was arrogant of Forstall to assume tackling an internet service through a software perspective was sufficient. And because of this Apple paid a terrible price. One of my old classmates has recently become employed at Apple as a data scientist. He has been employed at various mapping companies and Garmin and as an Apple lover he felt he had a duty to improve on a product that he loves. Well the other day I was having lunch with him and although he keeps secrecy at a premium he seemed quite agitated. When I asked him what was the big deal he announced that Apple had come up with an ingenious way to solve the bottleneck that comes with mapping out data from many different sources. Of course he didn't give me any concrete details but kept on saying how the algorithms he helped design will revolutionize digital mapping and when they are finally put into action will blow away everyone that pissed on Apple Maps. Yes it is hearsay especially coming from an online forum but the key point is if people like my friend are truly involved with this project, people that truly believe in creating great experiences for customers, we are all in for a pleasant surprise. And luckily for me he said his next project involves Hong Kong and Singapore so here's hoping to better mapping solutions to cities I fly to all the time.

This is interesting.

Try and pry more information out of him... without getting him fired :D

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes, you telling us your friend was agitated has me perplexed. Was he agitated because of the amount of stress this project is creating?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I'm sorry but the original post is full of fail. Apple hasn't found a magical way to make mapping data more accurate. Until Apple stops relying on so many 3rd parties, there will always be lots of integration issues.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Apple looks for:
- Data Scientist
- Worked for Garmin
- Working on Hong Kong and Singapore

TERMINATED

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Apple looks for:
- Data Scientist
- Worked for Garmin
- Working on Hong Kong and Singapore

TERMINATED

LOL I was thinking that exact same thing. OP you put way to much info in there to signify your "friend" you may have just got him fired.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I'm sorry but the original post is full of fail. Apple hasn't found a magical way to make mapping data more accurate. Until Apple stops relying on so many 3rd parties, there will always be lots of integration issues.

Or you know, starts relying on the right third parties...again.

Personally think Apple should've stayed out of "data" and let those who do it well (i.e. Google) keep at it. Seems like a bit of Pandora's box.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah. That's cool, but until they enable turn-by-turn directions on iPhone 4, I'm not interested and will stick with Google Maps.

I'm not asking for full-blown Siri on my iPhone 4. And yes, I do plan to replace it in September since it's aging hardware. But I don't believe for a second that an iPhone 4 is incapable of text-to-speech. If Google Maps can do it, so can Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.