Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Does anyone think there will be an 11" retina pro this year?

I'm almost out of HDD (256gb) on my 12 MBA 11", so rather than deleting files, I was going to switch to the 512gb 2013 version.

However if there is a good chance of a retina 11" in the fall then I would hold off.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010

I'm almost out of HDD (256gb) on my 12 MBA 11", so rather than deleting files, I was going to switch to the 512gb 2013 version.

However if there is a good chance of a retina 11" in the fall then I would hold off.

The rumor mill typically picks up on these things and as far as I know, there have been no rumors of an 11" Retina MacBook Pro. Apple seems to like the 13" and 15" sizes for its pro line and 11" and 13" sizes for its consumer line. My guess would be an 11" Retina Air next year at the earliest. A chance? Sure. But very unlikely.

You could unload some of the files unto an external HDD or high-capacity flash drive while you wait. Hopefully, the files are already backed up in case of a malfunction.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I have the same 2012 11" MBA.

Out of curiosity, is yours your main axe? I ask because I'm considering retiring my 2011 MBP and selling my current MBA to upgrade to the 512GB version.

I don't think I'll notice a bump in speed, but the extra space will be nice to have.

As others have said, I don't see Retina on the 11" MBA anytime soon ... and with the inevitable tradeoffs in battery life, I'm not sure I'd buy one if it were available.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
You really think there is any chance at all they're going to refresh the MBA twice in 6 months?

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma

Out of curiosity, is yours your main axe? I ask because I'm considering retiring my 2011 MBP and selling my current MBA to upgrade to the 512GB version.

I don't think I'll notice a bump in speed, but the extra space will be nice to have.

As others have said, I don't see Retina on the 11" MBA anytime soon ... and with the inevitable tradeoffs in battery life, I'm not sure I'd buy one if it were available.

My 2013 11 inch Air is now my main machine. This plus a Thunderbolt display is the perfect combination for me. I was debating between the ATD or a base 21 inch iMac but I wanted the extra screen real estate and the convenience of one computer.

If the Air goes retina next year I might upgrade again but it depends on battery life as you point out.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Absolutely no way. Like, not even a 0.01 percent chance. They just updated the Airs, and you will be lucky if the MBA even gets Retina next year.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
You really think there is any chance at all they're going to refresh the MBA twice in 6 months?

Absolutely no way. Like, not even a 0.01 percent chance. They just updated the Airs, and you will be lucky if the MBA even gets Retina next year.

I think batman75 was asking about a Retina MBP 11'', which is even more unlikely than a Retina Air in the fall.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010

It is main axe for work when I am on the road. When I am home I have a 2011 27" i7 iMac. But I travel 3-4 days a week and use he MBA on the road.

----------

I think a 11 inch rMBP makes a lot of sense. I would buy it.

I would buy an 11" retina whether it is pro or air as long as its slim and light. I don't even need a retina - a 1080p display would suffice. The current display is a bit of a joke IMO. I only put up with it because I hate windows.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
People are already complaining about the new battery life never mind if they added a retina display and tried to keep the battery life the same.

As first comment said not a chance, I think they will be keeping the retina to the macbook pro's only, might bring it to iMac in the future.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I'd be interested in an 11" rMBP, but I doubt it will ever happen. As someone else said, external drives are the answer. Perhaps cloud storage would help you as well. I have terabytes of data, but 70 GB+ free on my 128 GB drive. It's all about data management.

Of course, data management won't make the screen look any crisper, but I can live with it myself. It's a trade-off I am willing to make for the battery life.

Kevbodian

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
I don't see retina in an air for a while; however, I would be surprised if they didn't at least release 1080p screens or thereabouts on the 11".

I would love 1080 on the 11". Retina, while pretty, I could live without.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I don't see retina in an air for a while; however, I would be surprised if they didn't at least release 1080p screens or thereabouts on the 11".

1080p on 11" that would be a retina in my opinion ~200ppi its enough

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK

No. Not ever I think. Excluding the cMBP, which is being phased out, the Apple laptop range is currently divided by screen size/quality:

11": MBA
13": MBA
13" retina: rMBP
15" retina: rMBP

This is similar to what it was like in 2006-2008, prior the introduction of the MBA, the introduction of the unibody Macbook (later 13" MBP) and the discontinuation of the white Macbook.

13": MB
15": MBP
17": MBP

A retina 11" Pro, much like a retina MBA, is completely out of line with Apple's line up. Particularly since the MBA has just been refreshed.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
Next MBA update will be retina for sure, but that's not until next summer I guess. Some lucky chap will be buying my 2013 MBA couple of weeks before that :)

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

Lol, that's essentially retina

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I can't live without a retina screen. I just can't and I know it sounds bad but when I look at a screen that isn't retina I get angry.:D

Kevbodian

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
Lol, that's essentially retina

Perhaps to you... haha.. You're probably right. I was under the assumption that Apple would probably not (a) make a 1080 product or (b) use a 1080 as its 'retina' when it's catching up with the PC market in this regard.

----------

I can't live without a retina screen. I just can't and I know it sounds bad but when I look at a screen that isn't retina I get angry.:D

This. Lol, I sometimes put off using my laptop (Lenovo with same res as 11" air) just because the resolution sucks. While perhaps not Retina, I need at least 1080 vertical pixels to function normally.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.