Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Wii-Style iPhone Game 'Motion Tennis' Hits the App Store

Rolocule, which debuted its Rolomotion concept back in April, has launched its first game that uses the technology. The Rolomotion software is designed to convert an iPhone or an iPod touch into a motion controller, similar to a Nintendo Wii Remote.

The first game to use the technology, Motion Tennis, hit the App Store this morning. Motion Tennis is meant to be played on the Apple TV using AirPlay Mirroring, where it takes advantage of the iPhone's gyroscope, magnetometer, and accelerometer to detect movement and translate the movements on screen. Like with the Wii Remote, the iPhone serves as a racket in Motion Tennis.

Motion Tennis should only be purchased by users with an Apple TV with AirPlay functionality, as the game does not work on its own. It plays similarly to the Tennis game in Wii Sports (it is, however, less polished), and although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive to the phone's movements.
Quote:
Key Features:
Swing like a Champion: Get the real feel of tennis as you swing real forehands and backhands by swinging your iPhone/iPod Touch and taking control of your player on TV.

Hitting glory: Hit multiple shots like the groundstrokes, slice and lob, and simultaneously give accurate direction to the ball, just like in real tennis.

Multiplayer: Team up with friends and family by connecting two iPhones wirelessly and play together as doubles partners to beat the opponents.

Tennis fitness: Get an approximate count of calories burnt with each tennis match and track total calories burnt.

The new home of tennis: Choose between Grass, Clay or Synthetic courts along with four difficulty levels to become a tennis master.

Tennis Survivor: Think you can survive this continuous onslaught? Play the survival mode where you cannot make even ONE mistake. Get a highscore and compete in Online leader boards.
The game requires an iPhone 4S, an iPhone 5, or a 5th Generation iPod touch running iOS 6 to play. It also requires a second or third generation Apple TV for AirPlay Mirroring.

Motion Tennis can be downloaded from the App Store for $7.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Wii-Style iPhone Game 'Motion Tennis' Hits the App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

I can't wait to pay $8 and smash my TV
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:38 PM   #3
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

**Swing**

CRACK!

Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
negativzero
macrumors 6502

A cool concept but lag while using airplay means this isn't going to be a real fun game.
negativzero is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Redbeard25
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
I can't wait to pay $8 and smash my TV
WITH my iPhone!

----------

Can you play it with an iPad? WHOOMP.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:44 PM   #6
monaarts
macrumors 65816

While I agree this seems a little dangerous, it is definetly the most innovative iPhone & AppleTV game thus far. I hope this helps pave the way for more games that utilize AppleTV as a second screen. The iPad being utilized could really make a great replacement for the Wii U.

On a side note, this game works on the iPad too apparently - that would be strange to play! haha
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:45 PM   #7
star-affinity
macrumors 6502

That's an expensive pho…err, game controller you have right there.
star-affinity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:45 PM   #8
magiic
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to magiic Send a message via Skype™ to magiic
Even if this isn't great it's a good start. I am glad to see developers trying stuff like this out. Pretty cool.
magiic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:45 PM   #9
tirk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
**Swing**

CRACK!
Sob.

Or...

"Now I can justify the upgrade!"
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Smith288
macrumors 6502a

They could make a killing on a cushion case and before each game display an annoying reminder to apply the case and strap to your wrist.
Smith288 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:53 PM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativzero View Post
A cool concept but lag while using airplay means this isn't going to be a real fun game.
You should try the game and see if there is lag before claiming there will be, don't you think?

I think this is a neat direction for games and if it works well, $7.99 a game isn't bad.
GoCubsGo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:11 PM   #12
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
You should try the game and see if there is lag before claiming there will be, don't you think?
I think they were going off the article in the first post, which said "although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive[...]". If it's an occasional, very short lag, it's probably not a huge problem (although should be addressed eventually). If it's a long lag, it's frequent, or you never know when it's going to happen, then it's obviously a problem.
autrefois is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post

I think this is a neat direction for games and if it works well, $7.99 a game isn't bad.
Are you serious? Airplay lags. This game will be no different. You'll just have to time your shots accordingly.

I wonder how many TV's will be ruined by flying iPhones?!?!
Battlefield Fan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:36 PM   #14
outie2k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Are you serious? Airplay lags. This game will be no different. You'll just have to time your shots accordingly.

Or how many flying iPhones are ruined? This isn't a cheap $30 Wiimote and it's most likely the TVs cost less than the iPhones
outie2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:49 PM   #15
phpmaven
macrumors 68020

Cool idea, but as others have already said, people are going to be slamming their iPhones against the wall and the floor and the tv screen. Anybody who has played a Wii knows that if you don't have a wrist strap on, you'll throw the controller across the room in short order. The only way this will even have a chance is if they also come out with a wrist strap contraption of some kind.
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Oldschoolers
macrumors member

Wait...it's not free? I've grown so accustomed to freemiums LOL....blah. Can't wait to see it come out, $7.99 is a good price as others have mentioned.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:18 PM   #17
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post

I'm serious when it comes to this game and finding out if it still lags. This is a first, isn't it?
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:19 PM   #18
giardinop
macrumors newbie

Expensive consoles? I'm having trouble with the math:

Console $350 + Game $50

AppleTV $100 + iPhone $649 (16Gb) + Game $8

Am I missing something?

Even if you swap the iPhone for the iPod Touch it's still $8 more for this setup.
giardinop is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Ptjones1968
macrumors newbie

You can get the Wii for around $160 and the tennis game is free with the console.
Ptjones1968 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:47 PM   #20
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by giardinop View Post

Console $350 + Game $50

Am I missing something?

Even if you swap the iPhone for the iPod Touch it's still $8 more for this setup.

I think the assumption is that you already have the iPhone and atv.
chimpboy74 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:00 PM   #21
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by autrefois View Post
I think they were going off the article in the first post, which said "although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive[...]". If it's an occasional, very short lag, it's probably not a huge problem (although should be addressed eventually). If it's a long lag, it's frequent, or you never know when it's going to happen, then it's obviously a problem.
I definitely noticed some lag while playing, but the game does compensate for this by prompting you to "swing early." There are also settings that can be turned off to cut down on lag, but nothing seemed to eliminate it entirely. That said, even with the small bit of (inevitable) lag, the game was playable.
jclo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:19 PM   #22
CTay
macrumors member

Am I the only one that noticed the SUPER clean wire job that was done in the picture within the article.
CTay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:38 PM   #23
aristotle
macrumors 68000

This would be better for use with an iPod Touch with that wrist strap thing.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:39 PM   #24
asthamapheo
macrumors 6502

wow, amazing technology, would definitely buy this awesome app.
asthamapheo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:46 PM   #25
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by giardinop View Post

Console $350 + Game $50

Am I missing something?

Oh come on. This app is clearly geared toward existing iPhone and iPod touch owners. They may need to shell out $100 more for Apple TV (and $8 for the game), but that is still cheaper than buying a new console.

Having said that, $8 seems rather expensive for a simplistic tennis game. I suppose it is priced as such given Apple TV requirement (smaller market). The developer should provide a free version to demonstrate it is playable for those with such setup.
nutmac is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion