Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 7 Installs Hit All-Time High for Beta Software

According to mobile publishing company Onswipe (via TechCrunch) adoption of Apple's iOS 7 beta software is ramping up faster than for previous versions.

For example, after the iOS 6 beta was released to developers on June 11, 2012, Onswipe noted two weeks later that 0.25% of mobile devices that visited the company's sites were running the iOS 6 beta. Devices running the iOS 7 beta, which was released to developers on June 10, represented 0.46% of total traffic to Onswipe sites as of July 1, 2013.

0.77% of iPhones that accessed Onswipe's sites were running iOS 7, while 0.28% of all iPad visits came from tablets using the beta OS, which debuted for the iPad just last week. Comparatively, during the same time period last year, just 0.19% of iPads and 0.38% of iPhones were running the iOS 6 beta.
Quote:
The takeaways from Onswipe, according to CEO Jason Baptiste, are that developers are around twice as excited about iOS 7 as they were about iOS 6, and that they're spending more time getting ready for the big changes coming in the new version of Apple's mobile OS in order to have everything nice and tidy for the consumer launch coming this fall.
iOS 7 represents a significant design change for Apple's mobile operating system, which has been largely the same since its 2007 debut. It also brings a number of additional internal changes, including an overhauled Notification Center, a new Control Center, and redesigned multitasking capabilities. The operating system is currently available for developers, and is slated to be released in the fall alongside the iPhone 5S.

Article Link: iOS 7 Installs Hit All-Time High for Beta Software
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
TimeSquareDesi
macrumors regular

stating the obvious. millions upon millions of devices in the world run iOS, of course the # of beta users would also be higher.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
gpat
macrumors 6502a

This obviously is a result of the UDID check dismission.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
itsthenewdc
macrumors member

Percent doesn't really mean anything. What if the site had less overall visitors, and the percentages equaled the same number of beta devices?
itsthenewdc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:39 PM   #5
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Sweet, now let's time travel to the final version.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6
iAi
Banned

Apple is doomed as most of those are Phandroids who pretended to buy iP5 and are as if for real beta testing iOS 7 just to prove they did it so they can bash it everywhere. Then once they are done, they had returned their still shiny iphones. The same mob who joined the scuffsgate party. It's a bigger "disaster" than iMaps and scuffsgate. Apple resellers, beware of those buyers with bulging enormous S4 or Notes in their pockets. /s
iAi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAi View Post
Apple is doomed as most of those are Phandroids who pretended to buy iP5 and are as if for real beta testing iOS 7 just to prove they did it so they can bash it everywhere. Then once they are done, they had returned their still shony iphones. The same mob who joined the scuffsgate party. It's a bigger "disaster" than iMaps and scuffsgate. Apple resellers, beware of those buyers with bulging enormous S4 or Notes in their pockets. /s
I saw the /s, but, what?
Klae17 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:50 PM   #8
idkmybffjon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
This obviously is a result of the UDID check dismission.
Not sure what youre talking about, but you most certainly still need a registered UDID.
idkmybffjon is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
CrimsonKnight
macrumors regular

So I used iOS 7 beta 2. I really enjoy it. I like the translucent parts to the os, and some much needed updates, such as having a control center.

Siri seems to have had a big upgrade too, as it replies much faster, seems more accurate as well. Sounds less robotic in the pronunciation.

This is a step in the right direction for apple, I enjoy the changes they are making.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:06 PM   #10
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkmybffjon View Post
Not sure what youre talking about, but you most certainly still need a registered UDID.
No you don't.

Download the ipsw, hold the option key (shift on windows) and click on Check For Update when your iPhone is synced with iTunes.

Browser window pops up, select the iOS 7 ipsw, and off you go ... works best if you restore to a clean iOS 6 install first, as updating on top of a well used iOS 6 install can result in more crashes.
WeegieMac is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #11
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Apple found a way to charge for iOS. Let people pay for a developer account so they can run a beta.
OrangeSVTguy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Not sure what you're talking about cause you do not. I think it's because people were charging to add people to their developer list, so they've essentially killed people from doing that.
iJon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
PorterRocks
macrumors 6502

I can't help but think a good portion of those "beta testers" are just people who shelled out the $100 to say they have iOS 7 before anyone else. Not for any actual beta testing.
PorterRocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:14 PM   #14
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

I really hope all y'all using the beta are submitting Radars when you find a bug and not just griping in forums.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:14 PM   #15
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Hopefully its all those developers making their software compatible with iOS in the Car.

I can only dream...I already know Pioneer is testing, Alpine better be right behind.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:32 PM   #16
FoxMcCloud
macrumors 6502

I wonder how many of those people are actually developers versus eager beavers. Lots of people seem to be laying down the cash for a developer account just for the beta. Eager beavers!
FoxMcCloud is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:40 PM   #17
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Apple found a way to charge for iOS. Let people pay for a developer account so they can run a beta.
I sincerely hope you realize that you pay for a developer account for access to developer tools, not to test iOS betas. This is not an open beta, it's a beta for developers to get their apps ready for the final release in the fall. If people want to pay money to install a pre-release OS on their devices, then they're welcome to pay for a developer account, but that's not what the account is for.
AstronomyiPhone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #18
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
According to mobile publishing company Onswipe (via TechCrunch) adoption of Apple's iOS 7 beta software is ramping up faster than for previous versions.
Looking forward to installing it on a development device. Probably the new low-end iPod touch. Won't dare install it on my personal iPhone and iPad until very late in the beta period.

And why would I bother with iOS 7 beta? Why not wait until the official release along with the iPhone 5S, then wait for older iPhone / iPad users to upgrade? Because it looks like it might be such a game changer that developers will update their apps to only run on iOS 7+. Because any app that is backward compatible with iOS 6 will look dated and old-school.

iOS 7 will probably thin the herd. Developers who can't or won't commit to the all-new GUI will be left behind. New developers with brand-new apps will have a chance to shine. Better to plant the stake and start updating our apps right now for iOS 7 and beyond.

Last edited by SockRolid; Jul 2, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
SockRolid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:45 PM   #19
09sroyal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeejay View Post
Inb4 iOS 7 sux
Could someone translate this into English please?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSquareDesi View Post
stating the obvious. millions upon millions of devices in the world run iOS, of course the # of beta users would also be higher.
It's a percentage...

----------

Quote:
You don't, there is a way around it for this release that apple have missed. Many people are using it.

Last edited by 09sroyal; Jul 3, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
09sroyal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:45 PM   #20
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMcCloud View Post
I wonder how many of those people are actually developers versus eager beavers. Lots of people seem to be laying down the cash for a developer account just for the beta. Eager beavers!
lol you said beavers
pnoyblazed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:50 PM   #21
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No, you don't. There's a workaround with this beta.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:07 PM   #22
Mac Fly (film)
macrumors 6502

OnSwipe? You mean the d i c k heads who make that software that ruins websites for the iPad?
Mac Fly (film) is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:36 PM   #23
Differentuser
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I assure you,
That you do not need a registered UDID.
Let's hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here
Differentuser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:57 PM   #24
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
No you don't.

Download the ipsw, hold the option key (shift on windows) and click on Check For Update when your iPhone is synced with iTunes.

Browser window pops up, select the iOS 7 ipsw, and off you go ... works best if you restore to a clean iOS 6 install first, as updating on top of a well used iOS 6 install can result in more crashes.
This method also worked for iOS 6, I believe.
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:58 PM   #25
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differentuser View Post
I assure you,
That you do not need a registered UDID.
Let's hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here
And it was like this with 6.0+ I believe. I always wait and install the GM when it us relased a week or two before it os out for the public.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion