Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you?

• Yes

Votes: 102 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 70 36.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 20 10.4%

• Total voters

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Would you run another OS on your future Macintel? Would you dual boot, games machine, Linux - whatever. What would be your setup?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
no , i would not

Mac OS all the way , no linux no Windows just my old faithfull Mac OS

i'll get a xbox 360 or PS3 (when it comes out) if i wanna play games

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I got a Mac for OS X. (ok, no I didn't)

I like OS X, and will run it.

maybe I'll run ome linux once in a while so I can pretend to be a leet hacker.

/pretend
//I am not leet
///I am quite un-leet

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Why the f not?

One less thing to have in my crowded room.

I only use PCs at work, and if I could dual boot my next PB then I could use it everywhere and never feel lonely...

PB keeps me warm... at least my lap.

$

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
No, just wouldn't feel right having an other OS, especially Windows, on the same computer as OS X.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I've been almost exclusively a Mac user since 1993, but I am planning to get a Rev. A Intel Powerbook and run Windows as well as OS X.

The reason being that I am going to be starting a grad program that requires the use of GIS software that is (of course) Windows only.

The upshot of this is that I can have my cake and eat it too, thanks to Apple. I really hope Windows runs stably on the Powerbooks. Otherwise I'll have to journey to the Dark Side!

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Complete waste of resources. Would be like the days of NT and 9x... dual booting for 'games' or 'work'. Messy solution, and buying new Mac hardware to then Install windows on it because i want to play game X would be pointless. If i wanted to play game X that badley i would just buy a Windows PC and save myself the premium.

I would rather stick with OS X and get native versions of software i want to run under it, not switch back and forth between heaven (OSX) and hell (Windows) to use a certain app. If there is something i couldnt possibly live without on Windows then i wouldnt have a Mac now.

Did i mention im not going to install another OS on my Mac? ;)

It irritates me that the most praised 'feature' of a Mac with an Intel CPU is that people can 'Dual Boot' with Windows. Great for switchers my ass! It's not much of a 'switch' is it if your still using Windows :rolleyes:. There comes a time when you just have to 'let go' ;)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
It depends. Im no programer or anything like that so If someone has a nice 123 step guide I may but I don't want to accidently delete Mac OS X:eek: !

But if I did go on windows I would probobly make sure Im not connected to the internet. Just use it for things that I need softwear for.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
revisionA said:
Why the f not?

One less thing to have in my crowded room.

I only use PCs at work, and if I could dual boot my next PB then I could use it everywhere and never feel lonely...

PB keeps me warm... at least my lap.

$

If I could run it on an external harddrive... then I would.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
James Philp said:
For games, Yes.
Half life 2.
I hear ya! Windows will be on another HD on my Macintel....games only. Two environments - Mac for creative/learning etc and Windows for games. And maybe a PS3 when it comes out too....and maybe MacOSX on the PS3! It's rumoured!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
RobHague said:
It irritates me that the most praised 'feature' of a Mac with an Intel CPU is that people can 'Dual Boot' with Windows. Great for switchers my ass! It's not much of a 'switch' is it if your still using Windows :rolleyes:. There comes a time when you just have to 'let go' ;)

I don't think that dual-boot capability is the "most praised" feature at all - I think the potential performance improvements are. I will probably dual boot because I have to, and the new Macs will hopefully facilitate this so I won't have to buy two computers.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
id probably get a second removable HD for running a windows/gamming machine. i wouldnt want windows to touch my normal HD!!! heh

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes. I could do away with my cheap PC. or maybe not even a dual boot, if I could run my game making app under an emulated Windows environment but still be able to use the wonderful keyboard shortcuts, expose hotspots, and the much better touchpad tracking under OSX then i'd be very happy. therefore no dual boot!

i cant believe this. ONE SINGLE app is holding me back from being a full time OSX user. it hurts a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.