Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey everyone,

From this thread here (my reply is #20), I've discovered that iOS 7 firmware changed the method to enter the iOS device into Recovery mode.

iOS 6 (from Apple KB):
- Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.
- Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.
- While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.
- Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. Release the Home button when you see the Recovery screen.
- Use iTunes to restore the device.

iOS 7:
- Plug in your turned-off iOS device into your computer with the latest version of iTunes installed
- Hold both Power & Home buttons until the Apple Logo is displayed.
- Release the Power button but continue to hold down the Home button. Device enters Recovery mode.
- Use iTunes to restore the device.

Hopefully I'm not barking mad and the method has actually changed; but I've tested this on iOS 7 with both my iPhone and iPad and I'm positive Apple have changed it.

Thoughts / comments appreciated :)

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That's Recovery mode. Apple can't change how DFU mode works without releasing new hardware.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Apologies, edited my post. Still what I found still counts; the way we enter Recovery mode has seemed to have changed.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's how it always was to enter recovery mode. It's just that instructions to enter recovery mode isn't as widely posted as instructions to enter DFU, mainly because DFU is more useful.

EDIT: Ah, I see you edited the OP while I was posting this. The two methods you describe are different ways to accomplish the same thing, which is to hold down the home button while establishing connection between a computer and the device. The first method is to hold down the home button while physically connecting the USB cable. The second method is connect the cable first, then disconnect the device by hard resetting it (hold down both home and power until Apple logo appears), then keep holding home while the connection to the computer is established.

Last edited:

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
The new method works on older iOS versions as well. It has ever since iOS 1.0.

Are you sure? I've tested my method I discovered in iOS 7 on tens of iOS 6 devices (iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch's) and I just can't get the iOS 6 devices into Recovery Mode. I can only only get iOS 6 devices into Recovery Mode with Apples method, hinting they've changed it.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Are you sure? I've tested my method I discovered in iOS 7 on tens of iOS 6 devices (iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch's) and I just can't get the iOS 6 devices into Recovery Mode. I can only only get iOS 6 devices into Recovery Mode with Apples method, hinting they've changed it.

It definitely worked with previous versions of iOS. There are a couple of different ways to get into recovery mode but they all end with holding at least the home button during start up. My preferred method is to connect it to a computer and simply press and hold both the sleep/wake button and the home button. Don't let go of either until it's in recovery mode. Works every time without fail.

willryan42

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
DFU mode and recovery mode are two different things, and they work the same regardless of what firmware you're on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.