Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffmister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
To start - First time poster, long time reader of these forums.

I've come across a problem in using the iOS 7 beta on my iPad 4. I was able to go from iOS 6.1.4 to the beta successfully and restored my apps from a previous back-up. All was working okay until I decided to shut down the iPad and start it up again. When I tried to start the iPad up, the Apple logo would appear for 10 - 15 secs then the shut-down circle indicator came up and the iPad shuts down. I can't get past this stage no matter how many times I try.

I've tried connecting it to iTunes to restore it but it won't let me due to either setting a passlock code or a iCloud error with it asking to log-into an email my account had (same problem a few have been reporting). I've also tried getting the device into DFU mode with no luck. Anybody knows anyway how this problem can be resolved?

lepeos

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
Have you tried putting it into DFU mode and restoring?

Edit. Didn't read properly. Are you a registered dev or did you pay for your UDID registration?

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I've had this problem on my iPad 3 Wifi too. It's been reported by other people as well.

Initially the upgrade from 6.0 to iOS 7 beta 2 went fine, the only real bug I noticed was that the timezone was incorrect.

I went into date and time settings, and noticed it was stuck trying to find my location, so I attempted to disable automatic detection and set my timezone manually. As soon as I did this, the settings app locked up. I decided to try rebooting, and it went into the same loop as described here.

From what I can tell, the iPad gets to the point where it's trying to load springboard, fails and then tries to reload springboard again (and fails, again). It looks like it's rebooting, but it isn't. I know this because when it's plugged into my Mac while doing this, iTunes and iPhoto pick it up correctly, even though there's nothing displaying on the iPad's screen except for a (generally frozen) loading circle. When it eventually loops back to the Apple logo, there's no indication of it disconnecting from USB, so it's not actually rebooting.

So I decided to try reinstalling and recovering from my iCloud backup. Same problem with the timezone. When I tried fixing it in the same way, the same thing happened, and when I rebooted it went into the same loop.

I'm nothing if not persistent. I figured that maybe the previous data was screwing it up, so I tried reinstalling it again, this time without recovering from the iCloud backup. Same problem with the timezone, so I tried rebooting without touching it, and it rebooted fine. I then tried turning off automatic timezone detection and settings app crashed. Upon rebooting it went into a loop again.

I'm gonna try turning reinstalling now, using my iCloud backup but turning off location services entirely.

Edit: If the login thing is anything to do with Find my iPhone, try doing a remote wipe and then recovering. I had to do this the second time when I (stupidly) turned Find my iPhone on.

SWIFTY1293

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
UK
I've had this problem on my iPad 3 Wifi too. It's been reported by other people as well.

Initially the upgrade from 6.0 to iOS 7 beta 2 went fine, the only real bug I noticed was that the timezone was incorrect.

I went into date and time settings, and noticed it was stuck trying to find my location, so I attempted to disable automatic detection and set my timezone manually. As soon as I did this, the settings app locked up. I decided to try rebooting, and it went into the same loop as described here.

From what I can tell, the iPad gets to the point where it's trying to load springboard, fails and then tries to reload springboard again (and fails, again). It looks like it's rebooting, but it isn't. I know this because when it's plugged into my Mac while doing this, iTunes and iPhoto pick it up correctly, even though there's nothing displaying on the iPad's screen except for a (generally frozen) loading circle. When it eventually loops back to the Apple logo, there's no indication of it disconnecting from USB, so it's not actually rebooting.

So I decided to try reinstalling and recovering from my iCloud backup. Same problem with the timezone. When I tried fixing it in the same way, the same thing happened, and when I rebooted it went into the same loop.

I'm nothing if not persistent. I figured that maybe the previous data was screwing it up, so I tried reinstalling it again, this time without recovering from the iCloud backup. Same problem with the timezone, so I tried rebooting without touching it, and it rebooted fine. I then tried turning off automatic timezone detection and settings app crashed. Upon rebooting it went into a loop again.

I'm gonna try turning reinstalling now, using my iCloud backup but turning off location services entirely.

Edit: If the login thing is anything to do with Find my iPhone, try doing a remote wipe and then recovering. I had to do this the second time when I (stupidly) turned Find my iPhone on.

I was going to say have you checked your location services as I had the same issue it hadnt detected the BST, I cant remeber 100% as it was a couple of weeks back but im sure as soon as I went into location services the pop up window came up asking if I wanted to use location services.. Worth a shot

Jeffmister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Have you tried putting it into DFU mode and restoring?

Edit. Didn't read properly. Are you a registered dev or did you pay for your UDID registration?
I know someone who has a dev account and added my UUIDs into their account

and no matter how many times you hard reboot, no dice?
I tried hard rebooting, putting it into DFU mode and same problem happened.

I believe that's where the problem started, because I tried to change the incorrect time and everything you've just described happened.

I couldn't back-up from iCloud because of three reasons:
1) I don't do iCloud back-ups, prefer the manual back-ups through iTunes then backing-up that folder instead
2) I had a passlock on my iPad and iTunes kept telling me I had to disable it to allow a back-up. Which of course since my iPad won't boot up - it's pretty hard to do!
3) Another one of the beta bugs - when re-storing from my backup, iCloud kept asking me to log-into my Apple ID but using the previous email address I had for the account. The system for some reason won't let me change the ID that iCloud wants to use

SWIFTY1293

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
UK
I know someone who has a dev account and added my UUIDs into their account

I tried hard rebooting, putting it into DFU mode and same problem happened.

I believe that's where the problem started, because I tried to change the incorrect time and everything you've just described happened.

I couldn't back-up from iCloud because of three reasons:
1) I don't do iCloud back-ups, prefer the manual back-ups through iTunes then backing-up that folder instead
2) I had a passlock on my iPad and iTunes kept telling me I had to disable it to allow a back-up. Which of course since my iPad won't boot up - it's pretty hard to do!
3) Another one of the beta bugs - when re-storing from my backup, iCloud kept asking me to log-into my Apple ID but using the previous email address I had for the account. The system for some reason won't let me change the ID that iCloud wants to use

Im guessing youve tried a hard reset?

Edit..Misread your post above!

Last edited:

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Just to let you guys know, I've now reinstalled a fourth time, and as I suspected, turning off location services has fixed this problem.

It's also detected the timezone correctly this time, and the time and date panel in settings is also working correctly.

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
If you can't get the iPad into DFU mode and restore back to 6.1.3 you're simply not entering DFU mode. Make sure you're doing everything properly and that neither the home nor lock buttons are broken. I strongly doubt your iPad is legitimately bricked.

What you may be getting screwed over with is iOS 7's activation lock, which stops stolen iOS devices being restored without the original owner's Apple ID. What's stopping you typing in your iCloud password when prompted during restore?

Jeffmister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
If you can't get the iPad into DFU mode and restore back to 6.1.3 you're simply not entering DFU mode. Make sure you're doing everything properly and that neither the home nor lock buttons are broken. I strongly doubt your iPad is legitimately bricked.

What you may be getting screwed over with is iOS 7's activation lock, which stops stolen iOS devices being restored without the original owner's Apple ID. What's stopping you typing in your iCloud password when prompted during restore?
I've hold the Power & Home buttons for 10secs, then just the Home button for an extra 3-5 sec while being plugged into my laptop. The recovery mode notification doesn't come up in iTunes even though the device does appear. This is why I'm at a lost to what to do? Both buttons are working, since they worked a day ago before the troubles started.

The iCloud problem is the one other users have reported in that it asks to enter the password for your account, but it shows an old email associated with the account. When you try to change the account in the Settings, it won't let you. Before you ask, it is and always has been since I got it in December last year my own iPad.

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
I've hold the Power & Home buttons for 10secs, then just the Home button for an extra 3-5 sec while being plugged into my laptop. The recovery mode notification doesn't come up in iTunes even though the device does appear.

Right, weird, but you're definitely not entering DFU mode properly.
I'm sure this is what you're already doing but do these steps exactly for the sake of proper troubleshooting:

1) Plug iPad into your computer
2) Open iTunes
3) Hold Home + Lock buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds
4) Release the lock button whilst you keep holding the Home button
5) Keep holding the home button until the iPad pops up in iTunes with a "Device in recovery mode detected" (or whatever it says) message.
6) Restore to iOS 6

The iCloud problem is the one other users have reported in that it asks to enter the password for your account, but it shows an old email associated with the account. When you try to change the account in the Settings, it won't let you. Before you ask, it is and always has been since I got it in December last year my own iPad.

I always turned Find My iPhone OFF before restoring any of my iOS 7 devices, so I have absolutely no experience with Activation Lock.

What happens if you just ignore the old email address and type your password in?

Jeffmister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Right, weird, but you're definitely not entering DFU mode properly.
I'm sure this is what you're already doing but do these steps exactly for the sake of proper troubleshooting:

1) Plug iPad into your computer
2) Open iTunes
3) Hold Home + Lock buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds
4) Release the lock button whilst you keep holding the Home button
5) Keep holding the home button until the iPad pops up in iTunes with a "Device in recovery mode detected" (or whatever it says) message.
6) Restore to iOS 6
I've done those things, but when I get up to #5 - I don't get the recovery mode message. I've tried holding down the button for a minute without any success. I hear when plugging the cord into my laptop the USB connection sound then after doing #3 the USB disconnect sound then after 10 seconds of doing #4 the connection again but nothing showing in iTunes.

What happens if you just ignore the old email address and type your password in?
It says that the password provided is incorrect

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I had identical problem with iPad3. Simple remedy, I reinstalled ios7 and it's been perfect for past few days

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
My iPad (4th Gen) had the exact same issue as your describing.
After a trip to the Apple Store and some help from a very nice manager, the fix is pretty simple and it's apparent on the 4th Gen iPad's apparently.

1. Get your iPad into DFU mode using this:
- Plug in your turned-off iPad into your computer with the latest version of iTunes installed
- Hold both Power & Home buttons until the Apple Logo is displayed.
- Release the Power button but continue to hold down the Home button.

2. Restore your iPad back to iOS 6.1.3 (latest stable release) via. iTunes.
3. Either setup as a new iPad or restore - what ever you want.
4. Download iOS 7 Beta 2 from the Developer Portal and try again.

This isn't your iPad being 'bricked' as such, it's just the Springboard Application failing to start and it going around in circles before the iPad decided to restart and try again. If your iPad was bricked, you'd see nothing on the screen.

(NB: Other developers might hit me for saying something silly like this, but to me the way you get into DFU mode under iOS 7 firmware has seemed to have changed since previous iOS versions. I don't experience any of that 10 second waiting crap and having to plug in the connector while holding down the home button).

Last edited:

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
After doing the DFU mode steps and it not showing up in iTunes, have you checked in Device Manager to see if the computer is recognizing it?

airbelchris

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
I get the spinning circle on my iphone every time i try to start it up. but it takes 10 seconds and it boots up proper

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I tried to put ios 7 on my friend's ipad 4 and it all went wrong, it didn't even boot up, it just changed from white apple logo to black apple logo, it was very hard to put the ipad in pwned dfu mode

Jeffmister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
My iPad (4th Gen) had the exact same issue as your describing.
After a trip to the Apple Store and some help from a very nice manager, the fix is pretty simple and it's apparent on the 4th Gen iPad's apparently.

1. Get your iPad into DFU mode using this:
- Plug in your turned-off iPad into your computer with the latest version of iTunes installed
- Hold both Power & Home buttons until the Apple Logo is displayed.
- Release the Power button but continue to hold down the Home button.

2. Restore your iPad back to iOS 6.1.3 (latest stable release) via. iTunes.
3. Either setup as a new iPad or restore - what ever you want.
4. Download iOS 7 Beta 2 from the Developer Portal and try again.

This isn't your iPad being 'bricked' as such, it's just the Springboard Application failing to start and it going around in circles before the iPad decided to restart and try again. If your iPad was bricked, you'd see nothing on the screen.

(NB: Other developers might hit me for saying something silly like this, but to me the way you get into DFU mode under iOS 7 firmware has seemed to have changed since previous iOS versions. I don't experience any of that 10 second waiting crap and having to plug in the connector while holding down the home button).
Doing Step 1 as you've just outlined worked for me perfectly and makes me agree with you that getting into DFU mode has changed in iOS 7. After a few shots, I was able to restore to iOS 6.1.3 and recover my apps/settings/etc from a previous back-up. I won't put the iOS 7 beta back on until Beta 3 comes out to be on the safe side.

Thanks NotAdvisable for posting how you fixed the problem and to everyone who has commented for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.