Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple for many years offered Mac customers the ability to save $100 on eligible printer purchases, but the company discontinued that program in early 2012 as the devices have become less popular with the proliferation of digital access to documents through smartphones, tablets, and other means.

But as noted by 9to5Mac, Apple is once again promoting printers with new in-store displays and an instant discount program offering up to $50 on HP printers. While the in-store promotion is apparently set to roll out tomorrow, the company has already quietly begun offering the printer discounts, with models such as the Photosmart 7520 ($149.95) already having been reduced by $50 and the Photosmart 6520 ($119.95) having been reduced by $30.

apple_hp_printer_discount.jpg
Some printers appear to have been reduced even more, with the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus ($229.95) dropping by $70.

Even some Epson models have seen small price drops, with the Expression Premium XP-600 ($129.95) seeing a $20 discount and the WorkForce WF-2540 ($119.95) seeing a $10 discount.

According to promotional materials, the special discounts on the HP printers are valid through September 6, with the program coinciding with Apple's Back to School promotion in a number of countries. That program offers education customers iTunes Store/App Store gift cards worth $100 with the purchase of a new Mac or $50 with the purchase of a new iPhone or iPad.

Article Link: Apple Kicks Off New Printer Promotion with Instant Discounts on HP Printers

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
Having battled two HP printers from OSX in the past, I have to wonder what the heck Apple is thinking in pushing them now? Historically their software for and interoperability with OSX has been pitiful, not to mention their practice of bundling multiple ink colors into a single cartridge, so that one has to replace them all when the first runs out. Maybe they've changed this practice, but I don't forgive easily.

dingoeater

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Expect an announcement from apple shortly after September 6th. In the past, they usually saved product announcements for shortly after the back to school promotion ended.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I must say I'm a little surprised by this announcement. Apple and HP are companies going in different directions and ones that have drastically different customer satisfaction ratings.

But people do like printing, especially photos from their phones. At least Apple will get a piece of that.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Meh I'll just stick with my $40 wireless HP Printer from Walmart and be happy.

My (old) school uses HP printers for iPads and Macs....around 400 iPads total and there are never issues.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I must say I'm a little surprised by this announcement. Apple and HP are companies going in different directions and ones that have drastically different customer satisfaction ratings.

But people do like printing, especially photos from their phones. At least Apple will get a piece of that.

Apple uses HP products for their servers.

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
How about a discount on a real printer? Like a color laser duplex that takes the full size ink cartridges?

Like the 2600 or 3600 series?

The disposable printers are just not worth it with ink costs.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Having battled two HP printers from OSX in the past, I have to wonder what the heck Apple is thinking in pushing them now? Historically their software for and interoperability with OSX has been pitiful, not to mention their practice of bundling multiple ink colors into a single cartridge, so that one has to replace them all when the first runs out. Maybe they've changed this practice, but I don't forgive easily.

Very disappointed too, with HP's quality and phone support the last few years. Not planning on getting another HP printer for the foreseeable future. Really like EPSON's photo printers, but I wish APPLE would include some of BROTHER's AIO laser multifunction workstations in their printer promotions.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Work. Photos. School forms. Insurance forms. Tax forms. Homework. Notes for public speaking.
Copying or scanning any of the above.

its $.19 to print photos almost everywhere and the quality is way better than doing it at home.

why would you print tax forms when you can file online?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple should make their own printers complete with ink

I used to think so, but printers are going the way of the floppy card, so I no longer think so.

I still use printers sometimes, but it's getting rarer with each passing year. The last printer I bought ran out of ink just over a year ago and I haven't bothered buying more (I've been using a printer at the library that costs $0.10 / page... so far I've spent about $4 on it... if an ink cartridge lasted about a decade, at this rate it might be worth it... but they don't and I expect that I'll be printing fewer pages each year.)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
its $.19 to print photos almost everywhere and the quality is way better than doing it at home.

why would you print tax forms when you can file online?

Did you add in the price of gas to your $.19? And no, the quality is very similar with appropriate paper.

And, the outlandish prices for filing taxes online annoys me. Businesses file many things online for free, in fact they are often required to by the govts. Then they and the software companies gouge $20 out of individuals to file. No thanks. But besides that, I want a paper copy for my records. Still more convenient, although it is in the process of changing.

If you don't like it, don't copy me.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
WTF do you people still use printers for?

Have a printer at home that I can't remember the last time I've used.

At work however, I was SHOCKED at how much paper my employer uses. It is shocking. SHOCKING. Full color laser everything, thousands and thousands and thousands of pages per day of things that could easily be viewed as PDF, but the executives all 'prefer paper'.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Ugh, can't Apple partner with Canon already? I thought that all printers sucked because I was using HP, then I used some Canon ones. Never buying HP printers again.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Have a printer at home that I can't remember the last time I've used.

At work however, I was SHOCKED at how much paper my employer uses. It is shocking. SHOCKING. Full color laser everything, thousands and thousands and thousands of pages per day of things that could easily be viewed as PDF, but the executives all 'prefer paper'.

I am one step before total paperless operations. Only my accounting dpt still needs printed stuff and that's because greek IRS still exists in the 19th century

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
Well if they would give away a good printer it would be a good thing. Instead they give away pretty much garbage printers than burn money in ink.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Ugh, can't Apple partner with Canon already? I thought that all printers sucked because I was using HP, then I used some Canon ones. Never buying HP printers again.
Ditto. I cannot stand HP's networking software. They are ok when hooked up via USB, or when real server software is used in a company. But the intermediate level I tried to use at home was crap. Now have 2 Canons at my house, the connectivity difference truly is night and day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.