Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Still use my Samsung ML-1210 that is over 10 years old. Thousands of sheets per toner cartridge too.

I'd never buy an inkjet again.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I'd never buy an inkjet again.

Of all the technology that I've owned and been an early adopter lots of others.
Ink jet printers are what I've been frustrated with the most. Had broken the most and jammed and had new cartridges not work well.

I still have a color laser (I barely use for color, but it supports air print!) and a B&W laser on the network. Both HP and both going strong (mom has my old HP 4050 plugged into her network at home with no problems).

If I need photos, I send them up to Walgreens (or whoever has a deal). It doesn't really cost me anything in gas (or time), because I don't drive up to get them. I wait until the next time I'm driving by anyways.

Gary

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
If it isn't laser it's ****. And color is overrated. B&W laser over color inkjet any day.

And then there's color lasers for not a whole lot more cash, so you inkjetters - come on!

rrahimi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
My advice: Avoid the HP Photosmart series. My C310 gobbles up ink like there's no tomorrow. Randomly wakes up every once in a while to to cleans up the nozzles, with roughly 10% each cartridge gone every time. HP considers this normal behaviour too.

If you absolutely need color printing, then go for a laser. Over time you keep much more in your pocket. HP laser printers are as decent as their inkjets are terrible.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Printers.. with paper? Whoa, perhaps it's cool in retro-vintage hipster land, but I haven't used my last home printer since like 2001.

----------

Unless your profs are total luddites, you'd think they'd appreciate not having to collect piles of essays and carry them around; emailing your essays = easier for everybody.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
its $.19 to print photos almost everywhere and the quality is way better than doing it at home.

why would you print tax forms when you can file online?

Some of us actually have decent photo printers that exceed the quality of those at retailers. For a start, we have hundreds of papers, paper textures, paper weights and sizes to work with, and software that lets us fine tune the image to our taste with near instant feedback. Oh, and guess what? Photos are considerably more archival than your or my digital storage.

In total, I have three printers, all Epsons: the Stylus Photo 7900 for larger photo printing; the Expression 850 for small photos and CD/DVD/BD recordable printing, and a Workforce Pro 4540 which I pretty much just use for business and printed PDF manuals. I like having the last two on my wireless network and can print to the Expression 850 and Workforce Pro from my iPhone and iPad as well.

Printing isn't for everybody, but for those that are inclined, the Epson's, and for that matter the Canon's are excellent for photo printing. My experience with HP business inkjet printers wasn't that great so I stay away from them all now.

YMMV

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Can't remember the last time i used my printer. (aka junk stand)

Now a 3D printer, thats something I'd like to have.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Printers.. with paper? Whoa, perhaps it's cool in retro-vintage hipster land, but I haven't used my last home printer since like 2001.

----------

Unless your profs are total luddites, you'd think they'd appreciate not having to collect piles of essays and carry them around; emailing your essays = easier for everybody.

Maybe true for higher edu, not true for K-12.

:rolleyes:

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
people still use paper ?!??!

why ??!

email me, attach a pdf

enter birthdate for digital signature

no thanks HP

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Once in a blue moon, someone or some thing requires me to submit a form on paper, or make a handout of some kind.

At that time, I discover that my printer has jammed from disuse/dried ink. I run a thousand cleaning cycles, and 50% of the time get an acceptable but streaked printout by the end of it, and have wasted half a tank on one page. The other 50% of the time the printer never unclogs and I have to throw out the nearly-full tank and buy another.

Printer makers love this. (And so they love to give you a free printer. My years-old Epson died and I called up and they just sent me a new one, no questions asked. More cartridges for their money-funnel!)

As for me, I now use the library, or Kinkos, or UPS Store when I occasionally need to print something. It's actually LESS cost and hassle in the end.

And I fax online--paperless. Much easier (and for my limited needs, even zero-cost).

I would still like to own a good color printer that could sit unused for 18 months with no waste and fire up again printing like new when I suddenly need an image in the middle of the night. But such a thing would cost more than it's worth to me.

If you must use a printer, at least drop the cartridges off for recycling (lots of stores have a bin by the door).

P.S. I know a local business that tracks their online orders (yes, online) by re-typing them into MS Office documents, printing that out, SCANNING THE PRINTOUTS, and emailing those JPEG files to their factory, where they get PRINTED AGAIN and filed into a metal cabinet full of orders! People loooooove those dead trees.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Do you have kids? One quick answer: school schedule on fridge... I'd rather have one and seldom use it than not having one then really need it.

More power to you if you never use it, but please, ****...

two kids
NYC schools everything is online. the weekly homework is given out at school if you want to put it on your fridge

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Did you add in the price of gas to your $.19? And no, the quality is very similar with appropriate paper.

And, the outlandish prices for filing taxes online annoys me. Businesses file many things online for free, in fact they are often required to by the govts. Then they and the software companies gouge $20 out of individuals to file. No thanks. But besides that, I want a paper copy for my records. Still more convenient, although it is in the process of changing.

If you don't like it, don't copy me.

NYC its 15 minutes to walk to 5 different drug stores that print photos. for myself, i haven't printed any photos in years. always for old people like grandparents.

filing online costs money, but the forms are filled out automatically. i'll never do manual taxes again

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I'll pass. HP printers are junk. The one I got for "free" from Apple Japan never worked (paper feed ALWAYS jammed), and two others I purchased (at the same time) died within a couple of months.

That, plus the fact that Apple Japan never sent me the rebate (even though I provided all of the necessary documentation). I called them, and was told that they received the paperwork but not the receipt. It was a lie —somebody on their end messed up, and they blew it off.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
filing online costs money, but the forms are filled out automatically. i'll never do manual taxes again
Oh, I absolutely use software to do it. Even before that became available, accountants like me would make forms in Excel or its predecessors to simplify the work.

I suppose I should point out that the IRS did allow for free online filing for many taxpayers. (household AGI <$57k, or deals with TurboTax and others) However, it is States that do not.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Having battled two HP printers from OSX in the past, I have to wonder what the heck Apple is thinking in pushing them now? Historically their software for and interoperability with OSX has been pitiful, not to mention their practice of bundling multiple ink colors into a single cartridge, so that one has to replace them all when the first runs out. Maybe they've changed this practice, but I don't forgive easily.

(a) HP has historically had very good support for OSX. You're rewriting history to claim otherwise.

(b) HP has a variety of inkjet printers, some of which take independent color cartridges, some of which don't. The particular printers being discussed here DO have independent color cartridges.

(c) One reason Apple is pushing these is because HP has better Airprint support than other printers. This is not just random. It builds on both HP's long support for Bonjour, and their owning of several relevant patents in this area (it was these patents which required Apple to yank Airprint server support from OSX).

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Did you add in the price of gas to your $.19? And no, the quality is very similar with appropriate paper.

And, the outlandish prices for filing taxes online annoys me. Businesses file many things online for free, in fact they are often required to by the govts. Then they and the software companies gouge $20 out of individuals to file. No thanks. But besides that, I want a paper copy for my records. Still more convenient, although it is in the process of changing.

If you don't like it, don't copy me.

No, the quality isn't the same. And it's cheaper to buy prints than to print them yourself.

And I would pay $20 to file my taxes all day long. It's chump change compared to the ease and convenience. Besides, electronic filing gets your refund back to you much, much quicker.

However, I do have a printer. Main reason: My local Major League Baseball team still doesn't do electronic ticketing. Neither does the local theater venue.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
people still use paper ?!??!

why ??!

email me, attach a pdf

enter birthdate for digital signature

no thanks HP

In school, teachers never accept anything but paper for various reasons. Some of them can't deal with digital documents. A lot of people have the snotty need to read stuff on paper instead of on a screen. Also, it's a lot easier to deal with paper binders since you can't just bring an iPad and get everything on it.

----------

I guess most profs are total luddites then. Or, more likely, they aren't too skilled with modern technology and don't want to deal with those few kids who use something sketchy like Hotmail and send PDFs and docx files that have compatibility problems. If the prof is using Acrobat Reader, forget trying to use PDFs without a problem a day.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple should make their own printers complete with ink

Again? I highly doubt Apple would want to get back into making low margin commoditized printers.

NYC its 15 minutes to walk to 5 different drug stores that print photos.

Because everyone lives in NYC or within a 15 minute walk of a drug store that prints.

And I would pay $20 to file my taxes all day long. It's chump change compared to the ease and convenience. Besides, electronic filing gets your refund back to you much, much quicker.

You assume everyone gets a refund. Federal filing if free, but I'd rather print out my state filing than spend $20 to e-file it. Plus, I want to make them wait and manually process things.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
good thing i came across this before buying my new printer. good job apple, i'll definitely buy an hp printer.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
No, the quality isn't the same. And it's cheaper to buy prints than to print them yourself.

True, it's probably better quality at home when you have full control.

And it's been years since I've gotten a refund from the State, I can't be bothered to completely redo their calculations for them (the withholding calcs on each paycheck don't work), plus I've chosen not to loan them money on an interest free basis.

----------

Again? I highly doubt Apple would want to get back into making low margin commoditized printers.
I think it was HP that made the Apple-branded printers back in the 80s and 90s. Apple never actually made their own, afaik.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.