Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying an ipad mini on Craigslist. The guy is selling a 64 gig ipad mini 3g model for 500. Seems very low. If it is stolen what would happen if I tried to activate it? By the way I am not activating it on a carrier just using it for wifi.

Can I test it if it's stolen using my laptop and connecting it to iTunes?

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
Don't even buy it, sounds fishy,you can get a refurb from the apple store

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying an ipad mini on Craigslist. The guy is selling a 64 gig ipad mini 3g model for 500. Seems very low. If it is stolen what would happen if I tried to activate it? By the way I am not activating it on a carrier just using it for wifi.

if you think its stolen ask him to meet you in a police station to do the purchase if he says no its stolen

kench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
What about a McDonald's? I can activate it there over wifi. He says he has a receipt as well. But if I activate it with my laptop and it's stolen will it lock up?

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
What about a McDonald's? I can activate it there over wifi. He says he has a receipt as well. But if I activate it with my laptop and it's stolen will it lock up?

no its not going to lockup apple doesnt keep a list of stolen items, just make sure you do the purchase in a public place with alot of cameras just in case something goes wrong, I always like meeting inside a bank everybody save and lots of cams everywhere

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

An Apple refurbished iPad mini 64gb + Cellular is $549. And you would get a full 1 year warranty.

Based on the Apple refurbished price, $500 for a used model doesn't seem like the price is too low, however, in my opinion I'd rather pay the extra and get a full warranty.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
An Apple refurbished iPad mini 64gb + Cellular is $549. And you would get a full 1 year warranty.

Based on the Apple refurbished price, $500 for a used model doesn't seem like the price is too low, however, in my opinion I'd rather pay the extra and get a full warranty.

Dont forget about tax :[
In my state (LA) it would be $597

kench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
I was thinking about just ordering one from Apple for the student deal where you get a 50 gift card. Thanks for the info guys!

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
no its not going to lockup apple doesnt keep a list of stolen items, just make sure you do the purchase in a public place with alot of cameras just in case something goes wrong, I always like meeting inside a bank everybody save and lots of cams everywhere

And another example of why buying anything on craiglist is moronic. If you need security, or armed, to do a business deal, don't do the freakig deal.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
And another example of why buying anything on craiglist is moronic. If you need security, or armed, to do a business deal, don't do the freakig deal.

CL stays in business because most people don't have problem with it.

No need to be armed.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
My suggestion would be to go to an Apple Store or Certified Apple Reseller to do the purchase. They can check if all is in order. But they can't tell if it is stolen. They should be able to set it up for you on the spot. If they can not, then you don't hand over the cash.

You state they have the receipt, so my assumption would be that the seller will not have a problem agreeing to your terms of purchase. If they get buggy about it, walk away.

kench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
I'll probably either do the student deal or just buy refurbished from Apple. I didn't realize the price was so low on their site.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I don't think asking for $500 for a used mini sounds fishy. It's $159 less than MSRP. I wouldn't worry about it.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've bought one car on CL, and sold two others. I live outside of Philadelphia, and while an ad on CL brings out some weirdo characters, they've all been harmless. Also, $500 is the asking price, and it's very common to ask for more than you expect to get. ;)

cledet

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I buy and sell off craigslist all the time. Sometimes you'll spot a great deal because the seller just needs some quick cash. But don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I buy and sell off craigslist all the time. Sometimes you'll spot a great deal because the seller just needs some quick cash. But don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with.

I actually met someone who is now my best mate when I bought my first unlocked iphone 2g. So as the above stated CL isnt always bad, matter of fact here in Seattle i have yet to have a bad experience with it.

AppleCruncher

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Holy world of paranoia Batman.:rolleyes: The comments in here crack me up.

It's a USED iPad. Used SHOULD be less than new. It also should be less than referb in most cases. But remember a referb is a broken one that was fixed.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

It's a USED iPad. Used SHOULD be less than new. It also should be less than referb in most cases. But remember a referb is a broken one that was fixed.

USED but still under warranty, decidedly more valuable than used and out of warranty. A refurb is "like new" in every respect. It wasn't necessarily broken in the first place, it could have been purchased new, opened and returned in the first couple of weeks in perfect condition. Even if it was broken, it's indistinguishable from new.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013

Holy world of Batman what an uninformed comment. Op, comment above me beat me to it. oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.