Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

worthworks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I would like to buy a mini mac to replace my nearly dead pc laptop. I have Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 to build a website for my business (bought for $$$$) so I'd like to be able to use the program. Will it work on a mini mac? The program doesn't state it was made for a Mac or a pc, just Windows. I read that mini macs can be made compatible with Windows applications. Am I just wishing?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No they won't work in OSX, you would need to buy windows, run the boot camp assistant and then install windows on your mini.

Another alternative is use parallels or vmware to run windows inside OSX

Finally another alternative is to contact adobe and get a cross platform upgrade, the down side of that is their subscription model, you'd be locked in at paying a monthly rate.

worthworks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
have windows xp

have windows xp...can I install that on the mini mac with the program you said I'd need? The boot camp? Would that work?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
have windows xp...can I install that on the mini mac with the program you said I'd need? The boot camp? Would that work?

If you can get windows running then sure a windows program will run on the mini in Windows. You might want to look at Parallels (as noted by maflynn) if you want to run Windows. I prefer Parallels to boot Camp for Windows. Macs work very well with CS5 etc though if you can afford that option in getting the Mac software. It's a lot of work just to load/run Windows for one program.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
The Windows version won't as previously noted. However, before installing bootcamp/parallels and installing Windows (unless you need for other programs), talk to Adobe. By the user agreement, you are allowed to install on 2 machines...so uninstall on one if necessary. However, more to the point as a licensed user, Adobe will substitute out the Mac version with CS5 still supported, directing you to a hidden page link to download the CS5 mac version. I don't think they offer mailing a CD, just download.

I know they do it with Photoshop, and definitely worth a try with Dreamweaver. Technically, you can have one copy running on a Windows machine, and the other copy running on a Mac. You just need the installing software.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Windows version will only work through virtualization on a Mac. Should be able to get a Mac license directly from Adobe. Best to phone them. They work their software based on 2 licenses whether it be a Windows or OS X or one of each. Adobe is pretty easy to deal with and should be able to get you going in a matter of minutes.

Just make sure that one of your current licenses is deactivated or it will not work for you. You can install the program on as many computers as you want, but can only have 2 activated licenses at any one time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.