Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paintitblack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Went to bed last night, woke up this morning, BACKSPACE DELETE was not working and I couldn't get my password correct due to the letter 'v' REFUSING TO FUNCTION as well.

Speech settings should be correct.

This keyboard is basically new, and should have no problems.

Anyone know what might have happened or what setting needs to be changed?

For now, I've switched to my old keyboard, to help my heart attack and allow me to log in... but its spacebar is terrible, all the keys suck and im missing over 5 buttons on this ol' baby — PLEASE HELP!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the keyboard is new, and non-functioning, take it back. It looks like from what you posted its defective.

paintitblack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
If the keyboard is new, and non-functioning, take it back. It looks like from what you posted its defective.

No, I bought it for myself for Christmas, it's been working like a dream for months & i havent spilled anything on it, baby's been kept mint.

Some setting must have triggered my backspace not working?

and the 'v' button has me totally confused, was working last night before bed, woke up this morning and it wont work. Backspace hasnt been working for a few days now, have just been using delete hoping id figure it out lol ..neither are sticky or anything, like i said no spills.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Some setting must have triggered my backspace not working?
If it was a setting that stopped the backspace from working then why would your old keyboard work?

Plus there are no settings to stop the keys from working - kind of goes against the grain of what a keyboard is used for. That is why inhibit the V key or the backspace from working, doesn't make sense.

Try the keyboard on another computer if you can, that will eliminate (or validate) the configuration issue as a possible cause.

paintitblack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
If it was a setting that stopped the backspace from working then why would your old keyboard work?

Plus there are no settings to stop the keys from working - kind of goes against the grain of what a keyboard is used for. That is why inhibit the V key or the backspace from working, doesn't make sense.

Try the keyboard on another computer if you can, that will eliminate (or validate) the configuration issue as a possible cause.

I know it doesn't make sense thats why im on forums.... But it's a brand new keyboard and has been working fine, i dont understand.
I was thinking like some sort of language setting but you're right i dont know why my other keyboard works.

So I just switched back to the new one, eerything typing beautifully.. its still white and shiny, cord still stiff I dont know what would hae caused it to just stop working... especially as a designer/coder/illustrator i keep all my geek tools and tablets pristine

unfortunately i hae no other computer to try it on here

maybe ill rip off the button and see if somethings stuck in there. ...tho last time i did that on my old keyboard (multiple times) it always ended up being some setting i couldnt find :( and then me with a missing buttons

----------

I can live with using delete but i want my paste button back!!

----------

Anyone else experienced anything similar or have any ideas?

paintitblack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011

see im not the only one:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1194199/
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-80743-mac-keyboard-key-b-does-not-work
http://tla.mpi.nl/topic/keyboard-shortcuts-for-copypasteselectall-not-working-with-v430-on-mac/
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/8936-mac-keyboard-b-key-does-not-work

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So I just switched back to the new one, eerything typing beautifully.. its still white and shiny, cord still stiff I dont know what would hae caused it to just stop working... especially as a designer/coder/illustrator i keep all my geek tools and tablets pristine

That's good, means that repair/replacement under warranty should not be a problem - as long as you don't do anything foolish like trying to disassemble & repair it yourself.

paintitblack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
That's good, means that repair/replacement under warranty should not be a problem - as long as you don't do anything foolish like trying to disassemble & repair it yourself.

Yeah, I decided against ripping buttons off ;) like I said every time I've done it before(after a week plus of troubleshooting,) I find a solution to the problem days later.

The old one (— SIX years old, and this piece of **** lasts seven MONTHS —) is plugged back in and I'm thinking, yeah, I'll have trip out to the mac store :/ lately this country girls been hitting up the city strictly for work then my friends then back, effin malls grr lol

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

You're right other people are complaining that their keyboards are not working and it was one of two things.
1. The keyboard was defective.
2. The text to speech was enabled.

If you issue was #2 then your other keyboard would not work. Since your older keyboard is working that indicates that a setting is not causing your problems and its related to the physical keyboard itself.

As I said, if its a new keyboard as you indicated, then take it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.