Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I am going to be getting a 12 in 1.33Ghz iBook soon. However, many people say that their letters wear off the iBooks. Is this something I should worry about? Can I get replacement keyboards anywhere if this happens? Has this happened to anyone. Also, I am not going to buy an external keyboard so please dont suggest that.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Yes, replacement keyboards are available.

If the iBook is still under warranty (or AppleCare) if it happens, you could see if Apple will replace the keyboard under under the warranty.

denial

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2005
It is quite a common problem but Apple will send you a replacement if you push hard enough (it is a user serviceable part).

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I have a previous rev 12" iBook and apart from a noticeable shine to the more common letters we use (vowels, RST, space etc.) the letters themselves are as dark and legible as the day I unwrapped it from it's box.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
This is just my opinion but the iBook G3 (Dual USB) had the best keyboard. The keyboard has the same layout but I prefer the translucent keys compared to the solid opaque ones on the G4.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
After using my G3 12" iBook for three years, only part of the left shift and left command keys have disappeared. I wouldn't worry too much :)

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
The letters are wearing off my nearly 3 year old Microsoft keyboard more than they do off a iBook keyboard by the sounds of it. Can't see it being a problem, especially if you use the said iSkin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.