Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:09 AM   #1
cflem
macrumors member

Bring on Aperture X!

PLEASE!

Sorry to beg - the Logic update has got me going.

C
cflem is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 09:36 AM   #2
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

But that would just mean that I would feel compelled to spend another $79.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Yes, please.

Unfortunately, I would think we've got at least a month to go. Releasing it too close to the Logic release would be a waste of free publicity. Release it in August to make a splash between Logic and the fall releases.

It's a been a quiet year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something coming monthly for the next while to capitalize on the news cycle.

June - WWDC / iOS 7 & Mavericks Preview
July - Logic
August - Aperture
September - iPhone, etc.
October - Mac Pro

& so on.

Last edited by fivedots; Jul 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
chrono1081
macrumors 604

http://www.apple.com/feedback

I've been asking for an updated OpenGL implementation for Mari for awhile and I'm not by any means saying my asking helped at all but Mari is coming to Mac this summer thanks to the updated OGL
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Still waiting eh?

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:21 PM   #6
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Still waiting eh?
Speaking for myself, not really. I stopped using Aperture seriously a year or two ago. I use it now for Photo Stream and my iPhone pictures because I find it quicker/easier to work with than iPhoto.

I much prefer the Aperture interface but Lightroom 5 is light years ahead in features and will be hard to beat. I'm very curious to see what they come up with and how it will compare.

If it is even in the same ballpark as Lightroom, my interest is piqued.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:46 PM   #7
r.harris1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Still waiting eh?
Nah, I don't expect many people are "waiting". We might be "hoping". Life and images pass you by if you wait. I get on with making images with Aperture+Nik+other plugins and PS (as needed), throwing in C1, DXO (again, as needed) . It's a great, great setup for me.
r.harris1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:50 PM   #8
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I hope the new Aperture uses the dark interface as well. Most of my apps I use have that and I like it so much better. Aperture is pretty bright on an LED monitor.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:54 PM   #9
steveash
macrumors regular

I wonder if Apple are seeing Adobe's move to subscriptions as an opportunity to revamp their pro apps. Dreams of iPhotoshop...
steveash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 06:50 PM   #10
edubya
macrumors newbie

Aperture is better than I thought

I've used Lightroom for about three years and have just switched to Aperture in lieu of upgrading to LR 5. Aperture handles Fuji's RAF files better than LR and has far more features than I realized when I first checked it out a couple years ago. I had to resort to a tutorial to unlock the program for my slow brain, I'm ashamed to admit, but I'm pretty happy now. I use Pixelmator for layers and such.

All of that said, of course I'd love to see an upgrade.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveash View Post
I wonder if Apple are seeing Adobe's move to subscriptions as an opportunity to revamp their pro apps. Dreams of iPhotoshop...
As you're a real live photographer (beautiful work, by the way), I'm curious if you think a non-Adobe workflow is conceivable. For instance, can you see yourself using a program like Pixelmator instead of Photoshop?
edubya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:35 PM   #11
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
June - WWDC / iOS 7 & Mavericks Preview
July - Logic
August - Aperture
September - iPhone, etc.
October - Mac Pro

& so on.
I don't know if they space the releases to keep the news going. We've all seen Apple release multiple things at the same time. But I do think Apple will have all the pro apps refreshed before the Mac Pro is released. So your schedule might be good or at least no more than a couple months off.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:19 AM   #12
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Seems like Apple is completely revamping all its pro apps, and yes, looks like Aperture is next. If they do what they did to first Final Cut and then Logic, we can look forward to a revamped UI.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Seems like Apple is completely revamping all its pro apps, and yes, looks like Aperture is next. If they do what they did to first Final Cut and then Logic, we can look forward to a revamped UI.
Why would you say it "looks like it's next"?

And yes, the UI is severely dated.

Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:47 AM   #14
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I don't know if they space the releases to keep the news going. We've all seen Apple release multiple things at the same time. But I do think Apple will have all the pro apps refreshed before the Mac Pro is released. So your schedule might be good or at least no more than a couple months off.
True. Though sitting on finished software to release at the desired time is much simpler and less risky than holding back hardware.

Quote:

Process of elimination, they've already updated the other two.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:39 AM   #15
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
Process of elimination, they've already updated the other two.
So... for consistency... do you think it will be renamed "Aperture Pro X"?

FCPX
LPX
APX

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:51 AM   #16
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
So... for consistency... do you think it will be renamed "Aperture Pro X"?

FCPX
LPX
APX

/Jim
I think there's a good chance. Not only for consistency among the software, but also to tie it to the "Pro" hardware, whether or not that is MBP or Mac Pro.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:28 AM   #17
r.harris1
macrumors 6502

Quote:

It is definitely dated, but it does work. I'm thankful they didn't take the (in my opinion) gawd-help-us approach of the LR4/5 interface, which when you compare it PS, it's hard to believe they're from the same company
r.harris1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:37 PM   #18
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Apple has been revamping all their pro apps, starting with Final Cut Pro and Logic. Can you think of any other Apple pro apps? Filemaker perhaps, but other than that
Quote:
Compared to X-series Apple pro apps, sure, but compared to its competition, I don't think so.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Razeus
macrumors 68040

I wonder if this will be a free upgrade or another charge.

Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:42 AM   #20
LongSticks
macrumors 6502

It would be unusual!

Quote:
I think you have to see this as a revamp rather than an update. As such and there are already been two revamps to X, I think it will be $79! First day purchase for me!

I have this horrible feeling though that they will combine IPhoto and Aperture in a new package under a new iLife X......iPhoto has been were they have had all there investment for this type of app recently!?!?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:51 AM   #21
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's obvious: it's a major upgrade, so you'll have to pay. I reckon the price will stay the same, so I'll pay less than what I paid for my Aperture 2 --> 3 upgrade. And after so many years, I have no problem paying for an upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongSticks View Post
I have this horrible feeling though that they will combine IPhoto and Aperture in a new package under a new iLife X......iPhoto has been were they have had all there investment for this type of app recently!?!?
Why do you worry about that? Final Cut Pro X is not a merger of Final Cut Pro and iMovie, iMovie is still around and Apple has no intention of merging it with its pro video editing app. Ditto for Logic vs. GarageBand. I don't think there is any need to worry that Apple will make Aperture into iPhoto Pro.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:47 AM   #22
steveash
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubya View Post
As you're a real live photographer (beautiful work, by the way), I'm curious if you think a non-Adobe workflow is conceivable. For instance, can you see yourself using a program like Pixelmator instead of Photoshop?
Thanks that's very kind of you. At the moment for me there is no real alternative to Photoshop's retouching tools. I use it in-depth and spend quite a bit of time on every picture. If I was doing events it might be a different story. I would love to have an alternative as my software costs will triple (UK prices) with CC compared to CS upgrades every 2 years.
steveash is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:24 AM   #23
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubya View Post
I use Pixelmator for layers and such. [...] As you're a real live photographer (beautiful work, by the way), I'm curious if you think a non-Adobe workflow is conceivable. For instance, can you see yourself using a program like Pixelmator instead of Photoshop?
Pixelmator is a competitor to Photoshop Elements, not the big version of Photoshop. If you can get by with Photoshop Elements, in all likelihood you'll get by with Pixelmator. I have Pixelmator and I can't think of anything I'd need that Pixelmator doesn't offer.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:22 PM   #24
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Pixelmator is a competitor to Photoshop Elements, not the big version of Photoshop. If you can get by with Photoshop Elements, in all likelihood you'll get by with Pixelmator. I have Pixelmator and I can't think of anything I'd need that Pixelmator doesn't offer.
For me, it's missing merging panoramas and HDR (e.g. merging to 32-bit files, then bringing back into Lightroom to tone map, not true HDR).

By no means faulting Pixelmator for this - it's great, and those features are somewhat out of scope add-ons. I would really love to switch to Pixelmator and support them, but to do away with PS completely I would have to purchase a few other tools to fill the gaps instead of a one-stop shop.

I'm hoping Aperture X incorporates some of these features so I can consider a pure Aperture/Pixelmator workflow.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:06 PM   #25
viettanium
macrumors newbie

https://jobs.apple.com/us/search?job...JobId=27789165
viettanium is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography