Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GTAmissions1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
Hello:

I was looking into the Macbook Air since the Macbook Pros and the new Airs are very expensive, so I decided to go to refurbished to save on costs.

Here are some of my questions.

Is it worth buying a refurbished Macbook Air with 4 GB of RAM or should I be looking for 8 GB instead?

Will the new Mavericks software work on a Macbook Air with 4 GB or would I have to use 8 GB of RAM? The Twitter @TheAppleSupport said "It will run" which seems this is a fake Twitter account not associated with Apple.

Since I prefer a wired connection, do I have to buy the attachment which is the USB to the ethernet cable attachment in order to have a hard wired connection?

Just looking for some opinions because I am very intrested in getting a Macbook Air, but don't want to try and make too many sacrifices.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
GTAmissions1,
Welcome to MacRumors and soon to be a new Mac owner :)

Is it worth buying a refurbished Macbook Air with 4 GB of RAM or should I be looking for 8 GB instead?
Since the ram is soldered onto the logic board, my advice is to go for the 8gb model, whether that's refurb or new.

Will the new Mavericks software work on a Macbook Air with 4 GB or would I have to use 8 GB of RAM?
Since Apple is currently selling new Haswell MBAs with only 4gb they will most certainly be able to run Mavericks. Apple wouldn't be selling a newly released laptop that was unable to run their soon to be released OS.

Since I prefer a wired connection, do I have to buy the attachment which is the USB to the ethernet cable attachment in order to have a hard wired connection?
You'll need Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter which retails for 29 bucks.

My opinion is the MBA is sweet machine but given the ram is non upgradeable I'd look towards the 8gb. You may not need the extra ram now, but chances are down the road you will.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Friend, nowadays the right move is to always maximize memory, so go for 8GB.

I also recomend not buying any ethernet adapter, simply buy a wireless router. I feel you may be afraid of experimenting with wi-fi, but its very simple nowadays and also very secure

Calady

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I recently purchased the 13" MBA 4/128/i5 from the refurb store. I don't do any heavy tasks, just web browsing, emails, watching Netflix etc and I don't see 4GB being a problem at all. Yes, it would be nice to have 8GB RAM but depending on what you do, you may not need it. Plus, I don't believe any of the cheaper refurb models they sell are 8GB, so you would have to order the new custom built MBA to get the extra RAM.

Skip the 8GB so you can put that money towards accessories like a bag or keyborad cover, maybe even some apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.