Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After launching in a beta capacity earlier this year, Copportino's Vox 1.0 music player is now officially available for download from the Mac App Store. The Vox player was first released in 2007, but has since seen a major redesign and functionality overhaul.

The app, which offers a minimalistic design, is designed to be a replacement for playing music within iTunes. It supports a wide variety of audio formats like MP3, FLAC, AAC, Musepack, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, and more, plus it integrates directly with iTunes.

voxplayer.jpg
Vox supports a number of music sources, including network drives, external hard drives, and VPN-connected storages. Its built-in equalizer comes equipped with presets and adjustments to improve the listening experience and it also offers built-in internet radio connectivity, which is available as an in-app purchase. Here's a full list of features:
- Play numerous lossy and lossless audio formats;
- Work with different audio sources including custom VOX Playlist, iTunes Library and online Radio;
- Keep your listening statistics up-to-date with your LastFM account by means of LastFM scrobbling;
- Automatically search for all the missing album artwork from MusicBrainz and LastFM databases;
- Open different playlist types including M3U, PLS, XSPF and the popular CUE format used to store CD rips;
- Control the player from the main interface, Dock context menu or main menu controls;
- Use keyboard media keys, headphones buttons and Apple Remote to control playback (requires VOX Preference Pane);
- Easily add music via smart drop zones, ordinary open dialog and Finder context menu;
- Use equalizer with presets and custom mode, crossfade, fade on play/pause, converting music to 5.1 or 7.1 format;
- Preview album artwork right in the Dock icon;
- Convert stereophonic audio in your headphones to binaural using Bauer DSP (BS2B) technology;
While Vox is a free download, MacRumors has teamed up with Copportino to offer MacRumors readers exclusive free access to the premium radio feature of the app by completing these steps:

- Download the free Vox app from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

- Open the Vox app (This also works with the beta version of the app)

- While Vox is open, click on this link to get to the unlock page.

- Enter a name and an email address and the full version of the app will be automatically unlocked.

Vox's radio feature offers access to thousands of different stations and can be accessed by switching sources just under the play controls of the app. Search is available after clicking the small search symbol also located under the play controls.

The full version of the Vox media player will be available for MacRumors readers from 9 a.m. ET to midnight ET.

Article Link: Vox Music Player Launches on the Mac App Store, Free Upgrade for MacRumors Readers

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
Online Radio..only 6 stations?

Is anyone else only seeing 6 online radio stations?

The app mentions "thousands". Am I just missing it somewhere?

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for that! Free is always good. I've found a weird bug though, will go and report it. Anyone know if more radio channels will be released in the future?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Thanks for that! Free is always good. I've found a weird bug though, will go and report it. Anyone know if more radio channels will be released in the future?

You can access additional stations by clicking on the search icon. It's a little hard to see, but it's under the music controls when you have the radio list pulled up.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For me, the app should have re-lauched and the radio feature should have been enabled but it never re-launched. Manually re-launched, you're asked to purchase that feature. If you wait, the app won't re-launch but it will have the feature enabled.

Nice little freebie.

MiltonThales

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Suwanee, GA
Something is crashing

On my iMac (OS 10.8.4), after starting Vox, I get repeated crashes by something called

13-08-06 12:10:51.676 PM ReportCrash[74868]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash
com.apple.message.signature: com.coppertino.Vox.GNTPClientService
com.apple.message.signature2: UNBUNDLED ||| 2.0.1 (2.0.1)
com.apple.message.signature3: 42CB73946668E432BA26286F9E6A7683
com.apple.message.result: YES
com.apple.message.summarize: YES

Application Specific Information:
XPC domain creation failed: Process is not in an inherited sandbox.

so the app is unusable. But I think I got the radio part unlocked.

Last edited:

samofhim

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Bristol, UK
On my iMac (OS 10.8.4), after starting Vox, I get repeated crashes by something called

13-08-06 12:10:51.676 PM ReportCrash[74868]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash

Same problem here.

Coppertino

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013

Try to delete the folder Vox.app/Contents/XPCServices and everything will be working fine. We submitted the next version of Vox to the Mac App Store without this bug...
It's a problem with communication between Vox and Growl

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
You can access additional stations by clicking on the search icon. It's a little hard to see, but it's under the music controls when you have the radio list pulled up.

Thanks for that, I found it when it was mentioned while I was posting and I read the posts up. Would you happen to know how I can add my own streams by any chance?

Coppertino

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks for that, I found it when it was mentioned while I was posting and I read the posts up. Would you happen to know how I can add my own streams by any chance?

You can "Add your own streams" in Vox. Try to adding .m3u format to Vox Playlist.

We will add function "Add your own streams in Radio lists" in the future updates.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
On my '13 Retina macbook pro 15 inch:

VLC - uses 2.5% CPU usage playing a FLAC audio file

VOX uses 5.8+% CPU usage playing the same file.

Last edited:

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
It's nice. I can certainly see myself using it as a simple radio player.

But I think it could really use another theme. The default UI is minimal and low-contrast to the point of being unusable (the search button cracked me up when I found it)

I'm not sure I see the point in the extreme minimalism.

mavere

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
I've been using this on and off since they first started doing Betas, and it's a very promising app.

The stereo crossfeed is a godsend if you're a headphones user. I personally use the Meier preset, which works well without sounding overdone like some of the branded alternatives out there.

My only wish is that they support iTunes normalization and/or replaygain.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

same here, I think I also managed to get it unlocked, I hope

----------

Try to delete the folder Vox.app/Contents/XPCServices and everything will be working fine. We submitted the next version of Vox to the Mac App Store without this bug...
It's a problem with communication between Vox and Growl
interesting, will go ahead and try that. :cool:

EDIT: This made it work, thanks dev. :) Since I see and play the radio stations I assume the unlocked was also successful while it was in crash state!

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Nice audio player great radio player

It's a really nice little application - I'll be using the radio player all the time.

Getting the ability to play a bunch of audio formats that iTunes doesn't is a great thing to have for those moments when needed.

Working great on Lion, I actually like the UI and its minimalist nature.

Thank you Coppertino and MacRumors for making this available to us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.