Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 17, 2005, 01:08 AM   #1
California
macrumors 68040

new iBook 14" 1.42

Just have to say, I don't know what exactly the diff video Radeon whatever it is but this 14" 1.42ghz iBook screen resolution kicks butt over the 14" 1.33ghz iBook and I was VERY happy with the screen on that iBook.

Like, I can actually see the rendering on different fonts.

I did get stuck with a Fujistu OEM hard drive. Dang! I knew that if it was made in China (the serial number begins with 4H meaning CHINESE LABOR CAMP WORKERS MADE THIS MACHINE) it would be a cheapo Fujistu hd. It was. At least this one has a 8mb buffer. On the 1.33ghz I bought in late July and just sold to a non MR member, it only had a 2mb cache buffer!

On a friend's 1.2ghz iBook 14", the switched out Hitachi 5400rpm drive with 8mb buffer adds A LOT of speed to the works. And the quality on that Taiwan built Apple iBook is better around the edges than this 'book. Thank God for Apple care.

I guess Taiwan's Capitalism and Democracy makes for better handiwork on Macs than China's Communism and Oligarchy. Bless the person who made this machine in China, tho, they were probably starving.

And I'm on Tiger. Kickin' and screaming and it ain't that fast even with 1.5gbs of ram installed. NO speed bump here. I may just jump back to Panther with a clean install and -- hey hey hey -- if no one's looking, I may put in my Hitachi 7200 rpm hd into this new 'book and dump this OEM Fujistu. Shhh.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:09 PM   #2
manzanaloca
macrumors newbie

I just got the same iBook also. I'll have to see what type of hard drive I have. Are the Fujitsu's that bad?
manzanaloca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:40 PM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

I would have thought the two screens would have been identical. How weird.

As for jumping back to Panther, I'm not sure it'll let you. Didn't the iBook only come with Tiger? It's pretty difficult and not recommended to use an OS that's older than your Mac. Plus, wouldn't you have sold the Panther CDs on with the old iBook?

I won't tell anyone about the Hitachi if you don't, but it'll void your warrantee so maybe wait a month or so before doing that just to make sure you won't be needing to use that warrantee.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Bern
macrumors 68000

Just be sure about the HD like Mad Jew says you don't want to void your warranty
Old Nov 17, 2005, 08:04 PM   #5
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern
Just be sure about the HD like Mad Jew says you don't want to void your warranty

Good point, voiding your warrantee may get you punched in the face.

Thanks Bern.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 04:22 AM   #6
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by manzanaloca
I just got the same iBook also. I'll have to see what type of hard drive I have. Are the Fujitsu's that bad?
I think the Fujitsus suck.

And yes, my three month old 1.33ghz 14" that I just sold had a 60 gig fujistu with a 2mb cache. It made the 1.27ghz 14" ibook I put a 5400rpm Hitachi hd in run FASTER -- and i mean MUCH faster then the newer iBook with the oem Fujistu drive.

THey conk out faster, they are just not as well made as Toshiba or Hitachi.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 04:24 AM   #7
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
I would have thought the two screens would have been identical. How weird.

As for jumping back to Panther, I'm not sure it'll let you. Didn't the iBook only come with Tiger? It's pretty difficult and not recommended to use an OS that's older than your Mac. Plus, wouldn't you have sold the Panther CDs on with the old iBook?

I won't tell anyone about the Hitachi if you don't, but it'll void your warrantee so maybe wait a month or so before doing that just to make sure you won't be needing to use that warrantee.
Mad Jew, you are the coolest. How is it down there right now? Isn't it high summer?
Old Nov 19, 2005, 05:11 AM   #8
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
Mad Jew, you are the coolest. How is it down there right now? Isn't it high summer?
It's a long way from high summer yet down here. Was only 33 degrees C today, the hottest time of year is a good 6 to 8 weeks away yet.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 05:22 PM   #9
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles
It's a long way from high summer yet down here. Was only 33 degrees C today, the hottest time of year is a good 6 to 8 weeks away yet.

Ahh, I'm not looking forward to Summer: Full Strength Edition™. It's nice enough now with our balmy 30°C weather but come January/February I think I'll be temporarily changing my name to sweltering jew.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs