Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Hi Guys,
hearing about the possible new chip and faster wireless for the iMac,
Buying now, I will not have the above
Ive maxed out everthing so I guess, shouldnt make too much difference

Is there a way to connect cable direct to an iMac?
Just thought I maybe able to make things faster than just my "old" wireless set-up
....Gary

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Yeah you can hook up a cable modem to your iMac using an Ethernet connection. Your imac will have a gigabit Ethernet port which is plenty fast for any Internet connection. What Internet speed do you pay for? What kind of wireless router do you use? Depending on your Internet speed and wifi connection speed, your Internet speed may be the limiting factor. If that is the case, you may not see an improvement.

If it is convienent to hook up via Ethernet, then do it. It can't hurt.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Not sure about the speed but the cable is pretty quick
The modem is an old wireless one from our local Telstra company, Im guessing it would be slow as Ive had it for years, a new router is on the list, I may need to get a long ethernet cable due to the iMac location
....Gary

tawfiqmp

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
Houston, TX
Ethernet is always faster than any wifi technology including the new AC wifi. You can connect it via ethernet port from your modem or router to your iMac.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OP>> Just to add on one thing.... you will need to reboot the cable modem by unplugging it after you connect the ethernet cable to your iMac or the cable modem will not recognize the iMac.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
OP>> Just to add on one thing.... you will need to reboot the cable modem by unplugging it after you connect the ethernet cable to your iMac or the cable modem will not recognize the iMac.
Thank you,
Did not realize that,
....Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.