Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:14 PM   #1
Recoil
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2002
This is what I would do with Apple..

Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit or 256-bit
1Ghz Bus
Serial ATA150 with 4 ports
Hypertransport north/south bridges
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0
two independent Ethernet controllers
Run it all on hypertransport

Price 1999.99 without the monitor.
If anyone at apple comes here and reads the forum. This is what you need to do! I'm not kidding. This is what people want to see. If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.

Last edited by Recoil; Dec 27, 2002 at 12:34 PM.
Recoil is offline   0
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:28 PM   #2
leghorn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: oregon
Sounds dreamy.
I want one
w/ a 100 MHz bus.
leghorn is offline   0
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:52 PM   #3
strider42
macrumors 65816
 
strider42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by Recoil
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit
Serial ATA150 with 4 ports
Hypertransport north/south bridges
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0
two independent Ethernet controllers
Run it all on hypertransport

Price 1999.99 without the monitor.
If anyone at apple comes here and reads the forum. This is what you need to do! I'm not kidding. This is what people want to see. If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.
People might want to see it, but you realize its actually impossible right. The 970 doesn't exist yet. When it does, its scheduled to debut at 1.8 ghz. Apple has absolutely no control over this. They would be putting out a lot of this if it wasn't for other parties involved.

That said, apple definiltey has some room to make their machines much more competitive, particularly in the pro market. Some of the things you suggest should be on the powermacs, and I rather suspect they will be soon enough. Some of its a pipe dream though.
strider42 is offline   0
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:57 PM   #4
obstaclelobster
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by Recoil
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970

etc etc..

They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/59...owcontent=text

I dont think this is really what the "general populace" wants. I think Apple is definately on track with their concept of the digital hub for the consumer market (the corporate market, the real moneymaker, is a totally different, stodgy story). The populace wants a computer that's stable, runs all the programs they want (which is mostly Internet Browsing, IM services, Office, email, and increasingly programs like iPhoto and iMovie for family things) and is the best for the price point. What kind of programs would even require the processing power you describe? Games and Maya, that's about all I can think of. With all that raw power, its just pure overkill for what applications and hardware are out now. I can transfer full D1 quality video on my reconditioned Powerbook 500 that was made in April 2000, and I'm happy. I think a lot of people tend to forget that computers are made tools for doing what you want (I personally love the Mercedes comparison in the link above).

Apple is a company that (I think) is happy with their market share, as long as they can continue to be innovators and risk takers. They like what they're doing, and yes need to back up on the innovation to survive around that 5% margin. BUT they are helping people explore their own capibilities. Personally I believe that Macs should be standard campus fare. I always wondered if OS X was also a sneaky attempt to get apple hardware into places that run engineering/sciencey programs that traditionally ran on unix boxes.

But anyways, with my Powerbook, right out of the box, I can:

Edit D1 quality video
run a webserver
Manage a photo album collection
Manage a music collection, rip CDs etc
Browse the internet
get Mail
Use an IM service
program in C/Perl (with devTools)

Do i need Dual 2gig processors to do all that? No. Am I happy with what I have? Most definately.

oblob
obstaclelobster is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:19 AM   #5
obstaclelobster
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
my own personal dream for MWSF

Just for fun, my own dream for Apple...

Apple announces a partnership with Cisco systems and Sprint PCS (or the appropriate innovators in Broadband/Wireless networking) to develop OS X and Apple hardware as platforms for "communications hardware", meaning tablet PCs that run on a nationwide wireless network. The PCs all run on OS X and have integrated IM, mail, file transfer and storage and sharing (linked through SQL type or iTunes type file management databases), video conferencing and voice conferencing and whiteboard, and internet browsing capibilities.

the name could be iReach.

the central model of PC computing is slowly dying....
obstaclelobster is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:34 AM   #6
nanosound
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
It's always nice to dream.

I would love to get a tower in the next few months. I'm afraid it will fall short of these specs.
__________________
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
nanosound is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:50 AM   #7
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by Recoil


If anyone at apple comes here and reads the forum. This is what you need to do! I'm not kidding. This is what people want to see. If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.
While you have the ability to create things out of thin air... why not a Gazzilion Ghz PPC and price it at $1?

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 01:50 AM   #8
scem0
macrumors 604
 
scem0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: back in NYC!
Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by arn


While you have the ability to create things out of thin air... why not a Gazzilion Ghz PPC and price it at $1?

arn
I have to agree with Arn here. I mean, apple tries its best to
satisfy customers, when they know they are behind in many
categories. They want to produce a 'Gazzilion GHz PPC' just
as much as we want one, but them reading about how much
we want it isn't going to make it possible. Don't expect that
computer till a while from now.
scem0 is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 06:35 AM   #9
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a
 
JSRockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
This is for the MacWorld in 2004 right?
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 07:54 AM   #10
MacCoaster
macrumors 6502a
 
MacCoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
Send a message via AIM to MacCoaster
Quote:
Originally posted by leghorn
Sounds dreamy.
I want one
w/ a 100 MHz bus.
Ouch. That'd be painful.

What's the point of slapping it on 100 MHz bus when it can do 900 MHz?
__________________
The Mac Coaster
Quad Core Q6600 PC, 23" Apple Cinema HD LCD, White MacBook C2D 2.16 GHz, Athlon64 PC, AthlonXP PC, iPod photo 60 GB
MacCoaster is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 08:17 AM   #11
macmax
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: caribbean
Hi, merry christmas to you all!!
What about having a better bus drive.
I think it makes a big difference and if you watch the (argghhh) pc world you will see how fast the bus drives have become.
macmax is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 08:20 AM   #12
macmax
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: caribbean
Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by Recoil
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit
Serial ATA150 with 4 ports
Hypertransport north/south bridges
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0
two independent Ethernet controllers
Run it all on hypertransport

Price 1999.99 without the monitor.
If anyone at apple comes here and reads the forum. This is what you need to do! I'm not kidding. This is what people want to see. If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.
Price is the only major backup for people, i mean it is the most powerful reason for not getting a Mac.
At least that is what my thesis about Apple is showing up.
macmax is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 08:49 AM   #13
cubist
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Muncie, Indiana
Send a message via AIM to cubist
OK, how about this one...

iBook enclosure, but no screen (keyboard on top), no battery or trackpad, enlarged to fit regular 3.5" hard drives.
CD-ROM and 20GB hard drive.
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
Mobile Radeon graphics chipset with 32MB VRAM, VGA video connector only.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.
cubist is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 08:56 AM   #14
iapple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
this kind of topic..

I'm afraid I have to say this kind of topic is quite useless, as arn has mentioned..

Lets be realistic with the pricing and the specs and what people really need.
iapple is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 09:02 AM   #15
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a
 
JSRockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Re: OK, how about this one...

Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
iBook enclosure, but no screen (keyboard on top), no battery or trackpad, enlarged to fit regular 3.5" hard drives.
CD-ROM and 20GB hard drive.
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
Mobile Radeon graphics chipset with 32MB VRAM, VGA video connector only.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.
I might be into something like this... but it would cost more...maybe $599.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 09:05 AM   #16
JSRockit
macrumors 6502a
 
JSRockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by macmax


Price is the only major backup for people, i mean it is the most powerful reason for not getting a Mac.
At least that is what my thesis about Apple is showing up.
That isn't as true anymore. Any comparible PC laptop to the TiBook is well over $2000 as well. And the iBook at $999 has no competition. PowerMacs...you may have a point. Alot of times you are paying for Apple's aesthetics...and that is no different from any other product on the market when it comes to price. If you like the pretty one, most of the time you spend more $$$.
JSRockit is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 09:47 AM   #17
DeadlyBreakfast
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a dark corner somewhere. Help me..
Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by Recoil
If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer.


Hahahahahaha...Yea right. Im sure all of the RnD for this type of integration you could do in your spare time too right??
__________________
If at first you don't succeed...
You must be running Windows...
DeadlyBreakfast is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 09:52 AM   #18
DeadlyBreakfast
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a dark corner somewhere. Help me..
Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by macmax


At least that is what my thesis about Apple is showing up.

My thesis about macmax is showing up (Whatever the heck that means. I'll bet your thesis is just chock full of nice little grammar ditties like this) is that macmax is a tightwad.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed...
You must be running Windows...
DeadlyBreakfast is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:16 AM   #19
Chomolungma
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by obstaclelobster


http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/59...owcontent=text

I dont think this is really what the "general populace" wants. I think Apple is definately on track with their concept of the digital hub for the consumer market (the corporate market, the real moneymaker, is a totally different, stodgy story). The populace wants a computer that's stable, runs all the programs they want (which is mostly Internet Browsing, IM services, Office, email, and increasingly programs like iPhoto and iMovie for family things) and is the best for the price point. What kind of programs would even require the processing power you describe? Games and Maya, that's about all I can think of. With all that raw power, its just pure overkill for what applications and hardware are out now. I can transfer full D1 quality video on my reconditioned Powerbook 500 that was made in April 2000, and I'm happy. I think a lot of people tend to forget that computers are made tools for doing what you want (I personally love the Mercedes comparison in the link above).

Apple is a company that (I think) is happy with their market share, as long as they can continue to be innovators and risk takers. They like what they're doing, and yes need to back up on the innovation to survive around that 5% margin. BUT they are helping people explore their own capibilities. Personally I believe that Macs should be standard campus fare. I always wondered if OS X was also a sneaky attempt to get apple hardware into places that run engineering/sciencey programs that traditionally ran on unix boxes.

But anyways, with my Powerbook, right out of the box, I can:

Edit D1 quality video
run a webserver
Manage a photo album collection
Manage a music collection, rip CDs etc
Browse the internet
get Mail
Use an IM service
program in C/Perl (with devTools)

Do i need Dual 2gig processors to do all that? No. Am I happy with what I have? Most definately.

oblob
I'm in the bioresearch field and we often run a simple software that search for pattern in DNA matrix. We use macs and PC. Average time for a search could take second or days (even weeks). Unfortunately, the search we like to perform often takes days. I like a computer that can reduce this time down to say several hours.

On the home front, I would love to edit my video intelligently. For example, turning the light down in a scene to make it look more gloomy than it really is, but at the same time keep the bright light focus on the subject. This simple thing can be easily envision in our minds, but takes lots of interface interactions and only the pros in Hollywood can do. I want computer that respond and do human commands. I don't want to use a mouse to edit a pic using Photoshop 10 or 20 years from now. I want the computer to interact with me to make the photo better without the fuss and time (sort of like working with a super fast Photoshop pro, but it is my computer). I want to be able to play the net version of SIM that possess extraordinary graphics and sounds that can be mistaken for the real thing.

obstaclelobster and all those that thinks computers and communication infrastructure today can do these things. Show it to me.

"apple is happy with 5% market share"....What is the F**Kin point of running a business just to survive? If you yearn for state run factories, may I suggest emmigrating to say Cuba or North Korea or Vietnam
__________________
Be cautious of those who proclaim the truth, for they are the least likely to have it.
Chomolungma is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:04 PM   #20
strider42
macrumors 65816
 
strider42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Re: Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by Chomolungma

"apple is happy with 5% market share"....What is the F**Kin point of running a business just to survive? If you yearn for state run factories, may I suggest emmigrating to say Cuba or North Korea or Vietnam
I don't rellly see the connection between 5% market share and state run factories. DO you really think 5% market share is just "surviving". thats a lot of business. Enough busienss that several manufaturers would kill to have it, in all sorts of markets. 5% is pretty good. apple has publically said it thinks it can double its market share, and whether true or not, thats what they are working towards. They don't seem to have any designs on getting huge, and good for that. There's something to be said for a smaller company thats profitable and nimble, rather than a giant that is bogged down and loses money. Whats the point of large market share if you aren't making money? Isn't that, afteralll, what america and capitalism is about. the state run factories of the countries you mention control a lot more and don't make near as much money probably.
strider42 is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:24 PM   #21
Chomolungma
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by strider42


I don't rellly see the connection between 5% market share and state run factories. DO you really think 5% market share is just "surviving". thats a lot of business. Enough busienss that several manufaturers would kill to have it, in all sorts of markets. 5% is pretty good. apple has publically said it thinks it can double its market share, and whether true or not, thats what they are working towards. They don't seem to have any designs on getting huge, and good for that. There's something to be said for a smaller company thats profitable and nimble, rather than a giant that is bogged down and loses money. Whats the point of large market share if you aren't making money? Isn't that, afteralll, what america and capitalism is about. the state run factories of the countries you mention control a lot more and don't make near as much money probably.
Most companies are in constant state of advance or decline in market share in addition to changing economic conditions. As an investor, I want to see them expand, but the bottom line is increase profit. Huge company does not always equate to large profit.
__________________
Be cautious of those who proclaim the truth, for they are the least likely to have it.
Chomolungma is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:29 PM   #22
Durandal7
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Quote:
Originally posted by Recoil
If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.
Oh yeah? If I were in charge at Apple I would have a 5Ghz Quad Processor Powermac for $999 that includes 2 monitors out before the end of the week.

Take that!
Durandal7 is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:42 PM   #23
springscansing
Banned
 
springscansing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New York
Re: OK, how about this one...

Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
iBook enclosure, but no screen (keyboard on top), no battery or trackpad, enlarged to fit regular 3.5" hard drives.
CD-ROM and 20GB hard drive.
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
Mobile Radeon graphics chipset with 32MB VRAM, VGA video connector only.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.
*gasp*

Why didn't I think of that? ...

That's like seriously a good idea. Just... a keyboard with a slot-loading CD-RW drive, make it 256 RAM (SDRAM is like 2 dollars nowadays, especially for Apple I'm sure), 1ghz G3, mobile radeon, hm.. with whatever connecters you need for apple's flatpanels. A keyboard computer + flatpanel would be the most attractive system in existance. 2 USB, 1 firewire, ethernet.

Hm.. I don't see why they couldn't do that for 699. Now if they could hit 599... it would be crazy popular. A very fast computer for the price, and with the most astounding form factor in the history of computers. At only 699, who cares if you cannot upgrade it. Throw it away in 3 years and get another one.

Let's face it... how cool would it be to run OS X and play Ghost Recon on your keyboard? haha
springscansing is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 01:02 PM   #24
strider42
macrumors 65816
 
strider42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Re: Re: OK, how about this one...

Quote:
Originally posted by springscansing


*gasp*

Why didn't I think of that? ...

That's like seriously a good idea. Just... a keyboard with a slot-loading CD-RW drive, make it 256 RAM (SDRAM is like 2 dollars nowadays, especially for Apple I'm sure), 1ghz G3, mobile radeon, hm.. with whatever connecters you need for apple's flatpanels. A keyboard computer + flatpanel would be the most attractive system in existance. 2 USB, 1 firewire, ethernet.

Hm.. I don't see why they couldn't do that for 699. Now if they could hit 599... it would be crazy popular. A very fast computer for the price, and with the most astounding form factor in the history of computers. At only 699, who cares if you cannot upgrade it. Throw it away in 3 years and get another one.

Let's face it... how cool would it be to run OS X and play Ghost Recon on your keyboard? haha
A PC like this already exists. I can't remember where I saw it, but I know I did see something like that a few months back.
strider42 is offline   0
Old Dec 27, 2002, 01:10 PM   #25
primalman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: at the end of the hall
Re: Re: Re: OK, how about this one...

Quote:
Originally posted by strider42


A PC like this already exists. I can't remember where I saw it, but I know I did see something like that a few months back.
Yeah it exsists, and it did soooo long ago, at least in its concept form....the Amiga. And the previous Commodores. And now some cheapo PC place is making them for the space-concious crowd.

Decent idea, but a headless iMac would be better I think. Dumb it down a little to save some $.
primalman is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC