Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mishaal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
I don't know if my preference is just too particular, but I just can't seem to like the new build of the MBP. The older 13 and 15 inch models feel sturdier to me, and a lot nicer to type/click on. This is partly due to the different keyboard, and I'm guessing the bigger build 'cushioning' the clicks on the trackpad.

Idk, I found it strange how no-one talked about any of these points in reviews. Technically, there's no reason to prefer them, but I can't help it. I really wish the old 13" had a higher resolution, it would probably be my main laptop.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
I don't know if my preference is just too particular, but I just can't seem to like the new build of the MBP. The older 13 and 15 inch models feel sturdier to me, and a lot nicer to type/click on. This is partly due to the different keyboard, and I'm guessing the bigger build 'cushioning' the clicks on the trackpad.

Idk, I found it strange how no-one talked about any of these points in reviews. Technically, there's no reason to prefer them, but I can't help it. I really wish the old 13" had a higher resolution, it would probably be my main laptop.

Maybe you find the old MacBook Pro's more study than the MacBook Pro Retina due to is being more fat, larger so it feels more solid...:eek:

Mishaal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Maybe you find the old MacBook Pro's more study than the MacBook Pro Retina due to is being more fat, larger so it feels more solid...:eek:

Yeah, pretty much.
Does it not bother anyone else? I'm hoping they don't discontinue this line of MBs, and show upgraded versions on the 10th. Doubtful though.

bmclaurin

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
My first MBP is the 13" rMBP that I just bought for my wife a few weeks ago. Not sure about the old design, but I really don't care for the sharp edges on the current design. IMO the edges should be slightly rounded off for better comfort when typing for long periods.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013

Personally I never really got over the change to black keyboards and bezels! I thought the all-"brushed aluminum" design of the old Powerbook G4s was the smartest-looking computer ever.

Also have a soft spot for those nerds who replaced the white keys on their white Macbooks with black ones. Very "2001"-chic.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Yeah, pretty much.
Does it not bother anyone else? I'm hoping they don't discontinue this line of MBs, and show upgraded versions on the 10th. Doubtful though.

I love the Retinas it feels more modern! Sir you have to move with the times, there only gonna get thinner!!

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
My first MBP is the 13" rMBP that I just bought for my wife a few weeks ago. Not sure about the old design, but I really don't care for the sharp edges on the current design. IMO the edges should be slightly rounded off for better comfort when typing for long periods.

I completely agree about the sharp edges. I particularly hate the sharp points on the indentation where you put your thumb in to lift up the screen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I prefer the rMBP's chassis over that to the cMBP, it feels more solid to me. I don't have any need for the optical drive, so losing that was not a problem and that made the laptop a bit thinner.

cbecklund

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
The only thing I prefer on the old one is the fact that you can have two drives (one in the main bay and one in the optical drive bay)

iPoopeh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, pretty much.

It doesn't bother me. :eek: To be honest, it feels just as sturdy as the cMBP, just thinner and lighter. And sadly, I believe the cMBP will see it's end whenever they refresh the MBP's...

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Personally I miss the 'MacBook Pro' sticker on the front of the screen, also the battery indicator and I HATE the keyboard! It's SOO shallow.

Urgh.

They keyboard is shallow. It's even more pronounced if you go back and forth between the rMBP and the cMBP.

They key depth is shallow on the MBA's but somehow it feels more shallow on the rMBP's. I'm just hoping over time I get used to it because I haven't fully yet.

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
i like the old chassis, battery indicator, MacBook Pro sticker and i don't care about weight or thickness so i bought CMBP high end model over retina :cool:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Only thing I prefer is the old MacBook Pro came in a 17" version with a very thin bezel. The 15" Bezel has always been noticeably thicker and not as attractive. Does that make it bad? No, I just prefer the thinner bezel present on the 17" Model which never made it through the Retina switch.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
In terms of chassis only, the rMBP is superior.

The rMBPs have vent grilles to better assist with cooling, and they have a more solid feel.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH

I don't think anyone shied away from discussing it. I've seen dozens of reviews all of which rave about the new chassis.

I moved from my trusty 15 inch 2008 MBP to a 2013 rMBP. Dunno about the 13 in models, but the new chassis makes the 15 inch portable now. I used to feel like I was lugging around a monster, but the new one is just right, much lighter and thinner. I think the new chassis feels much sturdier than the old one, which used to bend under its weight if picked up by one edge..

I think you don't see anyone mentioning your POV (a preference for the older chassis) as none of the reviewers share your opinion... not saying there is anything wrong with it.... My current 15 inch rMBP feels as portable as my spouses 3 year old 13 in MBP.

Last edited:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I've had a 13" cMBP, a 13" MBA, and I'm currently waiting on the haswell 13" rMBP. I can definitely say that I noticed that the keyboard on the MBA was more shallow than the cMBP. I have played around with the current rMBP and I'd say my preference of the keyboards goes like this: cMBP>rMBP>MBA.

As for the actual chassis of the cMBP and rMBP, I'd say I agree the cMBP felt sturdier, but I prefer the thinness of the rMBP (especially since I'm coming from a MBA). I also liked the sleep indicator light of the cMBP. It was nice to glance and know if my MBP battery had died or not while it was asleep overnight (I can plug it in during class if need be, so it was not a big deal if I forgot to charge it every night). I wish they had kept that in the rMBP.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah, pretty much.

I feel no difference on the keyboard. I mean, I know that its different, but I guess I'm not that sensible to it.

I hade the 2008 (first gen) unibody and it felt more "wiggly" and it felt like it flexes more than unibody

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

I've used the retina Macs before and found little difference in terms of typing on the keyboard or using the trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.