Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Why is it that people think that the new iPhone is going to be more affordable. It's simple economics, Apple is not the kind of company that would make a cheap product, they couldn't if they tried. Apple is the company that makes the most expensive products on the market

And with the fact that people assume that the phone will seemingly have no downgraded features, and basically be with the 5 is just with plastic, I don't see how they would make that work. Even then, it wouldn't be as cheap as you think.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Why is it that people think that the new iPhone is going to be more affordable. It's simple economics, Apple is not the kind of company that would make a cheap product, they couldn't if they tried. Apple is the company that makes the most expensive products on the market

And with the fact that people assume that the phone will seemingly have no downgraded features, and basically be with the 5 is just with plastic, I don't see how they would make that work. Even then, it wouldn't be as cheap as you think.

It will probably be cheaper in China and the less affluent countries they will market it, they have much cheaper companies to compete with, less income, and Apple has a very large profit margin to work with, probably more than the 5s if they use last years ip5 parts and with the plastic casing.

Here in the states I'm sure it will be expensive, I would guess $399 off contract, $50-$99 on contract. It's too expensive IMO, but keep in mind the full 5s will be $649 for the cheapest variant. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy with the 5C in exchange for that $249, or for a cheaper contract upgrade price. Many of these people are upgrading from a 4/4S and the 5C is still an upgrade for them. The people who are upgrading from a 5, such as myself, will mostly choose the 5S, or just stay with the 5.

josen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
I don't know what about it being plastic makes people think Apple might drive the price down, when the plastic iPhones were always the most expensive ones.

$499 and $599 for plastic iPhones. 4 and 8 GB respectively. smh

The iPhone 5C is a colorated variant of the iPhone 5. There is no "cheap" happening.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I don't know what about it being plastic makes people think Apple might drive the price down, when the plastic iPhones were always the most expensive ones.

The iPhone 5C is a colorated variant of the iPhone 5. There is no "cheap" happening.

When there were plastic iPhones, they were also the only iphones.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011

Umm, that was years ago and they were the only iPhones when they were released.

I don't know why you seem so riled up on this topic but the 5C will certainly be cheaper than the 5S. Whether it's $100, $200, or (unlikely) any more, it'll be cheaper and it will have less features. It's just common sense.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The rumors suggest that the 5C is a replacement for apple's Entry Level iPhone. They need to get rid of all 30-pin connector idevices, they will discontinue 4/4S this month, if they haven't already stopped making them.

Take the iPhone 5 frontside & innards, remove LTE, change to Plastic back, you have a cheaper phone to produce, but, runs iOS 7 (and future iOS's) better than 4/4S.

Also, when you do this, you can have a single universal global model like the 4S. This also makes it more practical to do more colors. Currently Apple's LTE phones require several different models depending on country/carrier, and I don't think this will change before next year (iPhone 6).

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
If it's not cheaper than the 5S then it's a completely pointless product that is destined to fail.

To be honest, it needs to compete with the likes of the Galaxy Express 4G to be taken seriously.

josen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
It's a setup for disappointment. It might be maybe, a value iPhone but when I hear the word cheap, I'd expect it to be shoddy and almost worthless, wouldn't you?

All of the rumored prices for the so-called cheap iPhone, has not been cheap.

DariusX

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013

Why do you speak as if you know the price of the 5C already? At this point, everyone is simply speculating, your speculation doesn't make any more sense than others'.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
It's a setup for disappointment. It might be maybe, a value iPhone but when I hear the word cheap, I'd expect it to be shoddy and almost worthless, wouldn't you?

All of the rumored prices for the so-called cheap iPhone, has not been cheap.
The rumored "C" is for colors, plastic/fiberglass colors. But, from a business perspective, the rumors suggest it will be the new entry level iPhone...so, better than 4/4S, but, still a non-LTE phone, like the 4/4S. So, it will cost less to produce, but, it won't be cheap, except maybe on contract at $49. And, then, if you want LTE, you have to go up a step to iPhone 5 or 5S. IMO.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
I suspect it will have LTE for 2 reasons.

1. LTE Radios are cheap as chips.

2. If the are going to be the same (internally) as the iPhone 5 it would make much more sense to keep the exact same manufacturing process as much as possible.

josen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Apple isn't going to change their pricing model. That just isn't going to happen.

LTE is the new standard. If anything, the 5C might have LTE-A, in their dealings with China, Asia has faster data speeds than us.

Apple's not going to cheapen their brand, by any means.

josen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
I don't think anyone is expecting it to be cheap. But cheaper? Absolutely.

I think it will just take over iPhone 5 pricing, because it will have exactly what the iPhone 5 has, except coming in colors.

The main reason for these new phones, is because they needed something that blends with iOS 7.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
I think it will just take over iPhone 5 pricing, because it will have exactly what the iPhone 5 has, except coming in colors.

The main reason for these new phones, is because they needed something that blends with iOS 7.

If anything it will be at the current price of the 4S and the 5S will sit at the current 5 pricepoint. They will stop producing the 5.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I suspect it will have LTE for 2 reasons.

1. LTE Radios are cheap as chips.

2. If the are going to be the same (internally) as the iPhone 5 it would make much more sense to keep the exact same manufacturing process as much as possible.
Not when there are 3 models of iPhone 5 because of LTE/GSM/CDMA not in one chip yet for all countries/carriers. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ You're thinking of only the US, and even then there are 2 models, one GSM/LTE, one CDMA/LTE. Can you imagine adding 6 colors to 3 models? That would be 18 models, assuming one memory configuration.
Apple isn't going to change their pricing model. That just isn't going to happen.

LTE is the new standard. If anything, the 5C might have LTE-A, in their dealings with China, Asia has faster data speeds than us.

Apple's not going to cheapen their brand, by any means.
You're just dreaming. It took a long time for Apple to adopt LTE, no way they will add LTE-A yet. Not all areas in the US have LTE yet, nor are all countries adopting as fast.

Not if they can make the 5C in one model internally instead the 3 iPhone 5 innards (again: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/), drop LTE and you can have a single globally universal phone Apple can sell anywhere...and the only way to justify 6 colors.

Nah, the difference will be no LTE, plastic back.

josen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
So you want me to believe that they're going to introduce a 3G-only phone in 2013?

:eek:

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
I disagree. They are already producing all the parts for a 5C with LTE. It's just a case of putting the existing units into a a plastic housing. It would be much more difficult and costly to set up and entirely new manufacturing line just for the innards of the 5C.

----------

So you want me to believe that they're going to introduce a 3G-only phone in 2013?

It is EXTREMELY unlikely and would make them look quite foolish.

Other manufacturers don't have problems manufacturing different phone colors with 4G chips that work on multiple networks in different parts of the world. Why would Apple?

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

It's entirely possible. Some emerging markets don't have LTE gaining traction, let alone on the cards.

In New Zealand LTE 4G is barely taking off.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Remember when we thought the iPad Mini was going to be very cheap as well (approximately $250) in order to gain customers with a budget of $200-$250 ($300 tops) that were purchasing other tablets.

What we got was outdated hardware (internals) and a $329 price tag.

Also, they can't cannibalize the iPod Touch's sales, so no, in no way will the iPhone C be cheap.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I disagree. They are already producing all the parts for a 5C with LTE. It's just a case of putting the existing units into a a plastic housing. It would be much more difficult and costly to set up and entirely new manufacturing line just for the innards of the 5C.

It is EXTREMELY unlikely and would make them look quite foolish.

Other manufacturers don't have problems manufacturing different phone colors with 4G chips that work on multiple networks in different parts of the world. Why would Apple?
Since they are currently selling 2 NON-LTE models: 4 & 4S, I say yes!

But, it isn't called 3G anymore, they call it 4G since it has increased speed abilities, at least with AT&T :rolleyes:.

The thing is, the 5S, and iOS 7 is going to be the big reveal at this special event. The 5C is simply a replacement for the entry level iPhone that will run all of iOS 7 features, which, the 4S does not.

Apple will not just drop the current iPhone 5 model, there is no way, absolutely not, they've never done this, always get 2 years out of a form factor.

Plus, they will drop TWO phones 4 & 4S at once, which each have different innards. So, by taking the iPhone 5 innards and only taking out the LTE chip (which has 3 variants: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/) and putting in a single global universal GSM/CDMA (similar to 4S), they will still save costs.

They'll still have 2 LTE models, which is more than last year. And LTE will be the upgrade incentive to get an iPhone 5 or 5S.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011

So you think the 5S will be $300 on contract? Lmao...

The 5C will be $99 on contract and no more. Why would Apple make a plastic device after using higher quality materials for years, and then charge the same price as an iPhone 5?

josen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
So you think the 5S will be $300 on contract? Lmao...

The 5C will be $99 on contract and no more. Why would Apple make a plastic device after using higher quality materials for years, and then charge the same price as an iPhone 5?

That's exactly what they'll do.

1. Because it's Apple
2. Because they are an American corporation
3. Because it's not their style
4. Apple is money hungry

There is no way Apple is going to come out with an iPhone 5 variant that sells dramatically less than it's predecessor. If they can sell their cheap plastic Earpods at $30 a pop, if the 3G and 3GS sold at upwards of $400, you shouldn't dream of it in this day and age.

Apple will never come out with a cheap phone. Not even their cheapest one.

If you want a discounted phone you have choices. The iPhone 5 is $98 at Walmart that's as good as it gets.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
That's exactly what they'll do.

1. Because it's Apple
2. Because they are an American corporation
3. Because it's not their style
4. Apple is money hungry

There is no way Apple is going to come out with an iPhone 5 variant that sells dramatically less than it's predecessor. If they can sell their cheap plastic Earpods at $30 a pop, if the 3G and 3GS sold at upwards of $400, you shouldn't dream of it in this day and age.

Apple will never come out with a cheap phone. Not even their cheapest one.

If you want a discounted phone you have choices. The iPhone 5 is $98 at Walmart that's as good as it gets.

Do you even understand that $400 off contract would be cheap if it was as good as an iPhone 5? Because an iPhone 5 off contract starts at $650. Samsung's flagship phones are $600 + as well, so I don't know why you are talking as if Apple produces the only expensive phones in the world, it makes your knowledge of the phone market seem very, very shallow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.