Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnimAlu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Long Beach, CA
How much space will be required for the update? I have about 700mb free, will I need to delete some apps, or will IOS take care of this for me?

Thanks!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How much space will be required for the update? I have about 700mb free, will I need to delete some apps, or will IOS take care of this for me?

Thanks!

You'll likely need more. I would have at least 2GB free.

Now is a good time to purge apps you don't use, photos don't really need on yr device. I would then back everything up, do it as a restore and update not just an update. Clean installs often have fewer issues than patch jobs

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
ipsw file is around 1.3GB. I updated from betas so I have no idea what will happen when you update from iOS 6 to 7 over the air.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
One of the few REAL questions being asked here. For those tight on space, this could be an issue.

Anyone know the OS operating memory variance from ios 6 to ios7?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Ahh, thanks for the info...will start deleting!

OT: And don't forget to have your battery charged up! IIRC, typically there is a threshold and below that the update won't install.

Edit: Just saw this link in another thread. iOS will let you know how much to delete if it fails. From the link:

When updating wirelessly, your iOS device needs enough available space to download and install the update. If "Download and Install" is grayed out or you see the message "This update requires at least x.x GB of available storage", use one of the following options to update:
◾Use iTunes to download and install the update instead

or
◾Remove content you no longer need from your device, including:
<snip>

Last edited:

cchunk

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
What i did was just restored as a new phone. this was a good thing because i was able to download the apps that i actually use. saved me like 8 gb lol

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Having enough room to actually install, and how much room it will need AFTER the install is two different things.

Again, how much MORE room will IOS7 take than IOS6 once it is installed.

OT: And don't forget to have your battery charged up! IIRC, typically there is a threshold and below that the update won't install.

Edit: Just saw this link in another thread. iOS will let you know how much to delete if it fails. From the link:

When updating wirelessly, your iOS device needs enough available space to download and install the update. If "Download and Install" is grayed out or you see the message "This update requires at least x.x GB of available storage", use one of the following options to update:
◾Use iTunes to download and install the update instead

or
◾Remove content you no longer need from your device, including:
<snip>

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Having enough room to actually install, and how much room it will need AFTER the install is two different things.

Again, how much MORE room will IOS7 take than IOS6 once it is installed.

Given Apple's comment about doing it through iTunes, it would appear that it doesn't take up any additional room.

The update replaces the existing software.

AnimAlu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Will let ya know...I started with 3.3GB before the download, let's see where I end up after installation. Still downloading...

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Bump. How much free space of that 3GB is left after upgrading to iOS 7?

From my experience in this, the 3GB space is only required to install, since the software extracts itself to the iPhone hard drive hence the preparing for update stage. The phones space will remain the same as you had with the previous version when installation is done.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Yes you need 3.1GB to install but once it was installed I still had 3.1GB free. Just need to add back some videos I had off of iTunes. Forced me to delete apps I never use anyway. I lover starting fresh

AnimAlu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Long Beach, CA
OK weird. I started with 3.3 GB, after installation, I had 3.6. Just checked and now I have 3.9. Maybe it's deleting data files of some kind. Need to charge my phone, will explore more later...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.