Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
The bottom screws have been opened, I can tell since there is some wear. My touch screen is slightly unresponsive and I'm a little paranoid the previous owner replaced the screen. Either way the phone is simply a "loaner" until I get the 6 next year.

If a Genius checks the phone out since it is still under warranty until next week, is it possible that they will replace the phone or fix it for free?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If something is defective with the phone and its under warranty then they'll replace it.

Given that there' missing screws, Apple may state that its damage brought on by opening the phone and not defective components, i.e., you're out of luck

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Edit: Ignore this, sore subject for me that I shouldn't have gotten involved in to begin with. My apologies.

Last edited:

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
If something is defective with the phone and its under warranty then they'll replace it.

Given that there' missing screws, Apple may state that its damage brought on by opening the phone and not defective components, i.e., you're out of luck

Not missing, there is simply wear on the screws as if they have been turned.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If a Genius checks the phone out since it is still under warranty until next week, is it possible that they will replace the phone or fix it for free?

If the screen was replaced by the previous owner then the warranty is void, the best you might get is being able to do an out of warranty replacement which I think is around $150, maybe more for the 5.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Rule #1: Never ever buy a phone off craigslist...

It's a haven for sellers with Zero accountability but a minefield for buyers. The opposite can be said for ebay, where you have buyers protection for 45 days.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not missing, there is simply wear on the screws as if they have been turned.

If there's any evidence of tampering then they may not be so inclined to replace it. So the screws may not be missing but if it shows wear and tear from unscrewing then you may not have a warranty.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
LOL @ the OP! Gotta love these people who are holding out for something that doesn't exist. A years wait really isn't a loaner! Didn't you try the phone before you purchased it??? FYI, Technically the 5S doesn't exist yet either. :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How much did you pay?

Just get an out of warranty replacement for 150-200 (whatever it is) and enjoy a like new refurb until the 6 is released.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
LOL @ the OP! Gotta love these people who are holding out for something that doesn't exist. A years wait really isn't a loaner! Didn't you try the phone before you purchased it??? FYI, Technically the 5S doesn't exist yet either. :D

Yes it works fine and beautifully. To be honest, much of it is probably my paranoia. I got such a good deal ($450 for 64GB) that I can't see myself losing much money when I sell it next year. In fact Apple gives a trade-in value of $400 for it and trade-ins are usually the worst values.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Rule #1: Never ever buy a phone off craigslist...

It's a haven for sellers with Zero accountability but a minefield for buyers. The opposite can be said for ebay, where you have buyers protection for 45 days.

If you do, the best thing to do it meet at an Apple store and ask them to run a diagnostic on it to make sure its under warranty and not been reported stolen. If someone agrees to do this, they are most likely a legit seller.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The bottom screws have been opened, I can tell since there is some wear. My touch screen is slightly unresponsive and I'm a little paranoid the previous owner replaced the screen. Either way the phone is simply a "loaner" until I get the 6 next year.

Yes it works fine and beautifully. To be honest, much of it is probably my paranoia. I got such a good deal ($450 for 64GB) that I can't see myself losing much money when I sell it next year. In fact Apple gives a trade-in value of $400 for it and trade-ins are usually the worst values.

Hmmm.

Phones that appear to have been opened will not be replaced under warranty but it seems your assessment of the phone has changed so this thread seems pointless.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The bottom screws have been opened, I can tell since there is some wear.

There is a post here that says the Genius refused warranty because they noticed fingerprints once they opened it. I believe warranty and any AppleCare is now nil.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

if the screen was replaced third party, no. They won't touch it.

If it is not tampered with and there is something wrong, sure.

----------

If the screen was replaced by the previous owner then the warranty is void, the best you might get is being able to do an out of warranty replacement which I think is around $150, maybe more for the 5.

If the device is tampered with all service options paid or otherwise are void.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

AC doesn't cover user tampering.....only manu defects

Seems you are out of luck

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not trying to "screw" Apple or take advantage of them. Just wondering what my options were since the device is still under warranty until 9/26/2013 (I looked up the serial on Apple's website).

If they can take a look, great. If not, I am gonna use this phone happily until the 6. When I meant the phone is slightly unresponsive, I'm not sure if it is just the placebo effect or me being paranoid. It might just be a software bug. For example when I get an iMessage in lock screen, sometimes I can't unlock it right when I get the message. It takes me a few swipes. But if I hit the sleep wake button and then try to unlock it, I can swipe easily.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not trying to "screw" Apple or take advantage of them. Just wondering what my options were since the device is still under warranty until 9/26/2013 (I looked up the serial on Apple's website).

If they can take a look, great. If not, I am gonna use this phone happily until the 6. When I meant the phone is slightly unresponsive, I'm not sure if it is just the placebo effect or me being paranoid. It might just be a software bug. For example when I get an iMessage in lock screen, sometimes I can't unlock it right when I get the message. It takes me a few swipes. But if I hit the sleep wake button and then try to unlock it, I can swipe easily.

That sounds like a software bug.
I'd restore and setup as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.