Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DubLogic19

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
South Carolina
I've noticed that my trackpad has become quite unresponsive in its clicking, mostly on the left side. The further to the right side that I try to click the greater the click response becomes. After doing a bit of research I found that it could be a swelling battery, sounded crazy at first.

-What are the dangers of just letting it go for now and not looking into it further?
-Are there ways to confirm that my battery is swelling?
-What causes the battery to swell and what can I do to prevent it?
Maybe I should replace it to be safe?
-Battery Cycles: 180
-Battery Age 2.6 years
-Mid 2011 8,2 MBP 10.6SnwLpd
Thanks guys. :apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Macman45 is right, don't delay or leave it. Swelling batteries can explode and you should get apple to look at it ASAP.

DubLogic19

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
South Carolina
Macman45 is right, don't delay or leave it. Swelling batteries can explode and you should get apple to look at it ASAP.

Ahh yes, this is such a bummer, prevention is my main concern moving forward. Any ideas?
Also, would it be a good idea to take the bottom cover off and look at the battery?

Last edited:

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Ahh yes, this is such a bummer, prevention is my main concern moving forward. Any ideas?
Also, would it be a good idea to take the bottom cover off and look at the battery?

Just take it to a apple store and get it checked/replaced. It happened to my out of warranty 2010 MBP this year and they replaced the battery free of charge :)

They said the trackpad replacement would cost around $50 if I recall but they didn't need to do it as the only issue was the battery and everything clicked fine after it was replaced.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Just take it to a apple store and get it checked/replaced. It happened to my out of warranty 2010 MBP this year and they replaced the battery free of charge :)

They said the trackpad replacement would cost around $50 if I recall but they didn't need to do it as the only issue was the battery and everything clicked fine after it was replaced.

Lucky you! I have the service battery warning on my 2009 MBP, and they quoted me $100+ for replacement. I declined since there aren't signs of swelling yet, and I plan on replacing it soon anyway.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
So are there no known major causes of the swelling?

Apple just told me that it's normal (hence not covered by applecare), although I've had a lot of laptops and only ever seen apple batteries do this (every apple laptop I've ever owned, in fact, except the current one that doesn't have a removable battery to swell up).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.