Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Texxy
macrumors regular

Verizon iPhone 5S Question...SIM Card

Hey guys, got my preorder in for Verizon 5S and I am upgrading from my 5. While odering, Verizon asked me if I wanted to keep my original SIM and in the middle of all the Panic I just clicked YES! Problem is, I want to give my iPhone 5 to my wife.

Does this mean that when I get my 5S I have to get my iPhone 5 sim out and put it in my 5S? And does this mean my iPhone 5 needs to get a new Sim?

I am confused but basically, my order does not say Embedded SIM like it normally would if I clicked to opt out of using my original Sim. Is this something I can just call Verizon about tomorrow and get all sorted out?

Hope not to confusing, goodluck to everyone!
Texxy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Uln4321
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxy View Post
Hey guys, got my preorder in for Verizon 5S and I am upgrading from my 5. While odering, Verizon asked me if I wanted to keep my original SIM and in the middle of all the Panic I just clicked YES! Problem is, I want to give my iPhone 5 to my wife.

Does this mean that when I get my 5S I have to get my iPhone 5 sim out and put it in my 5S? And does this mean my iPhone 5 needs to get a new Sim?

I am confused but basically, my order does not say Embedded SIM like it normally would if I clicked to opt out of using my original Sim. Is this something I can just call Verizon about tomorrow and get all sorted out?

I clicked yes too. Have no idea what it was talking about...
Uln4321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:59 AM   #3
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:

The upgrade is tied to the phone number. Yes, you will have to take out sim from 5 and put it in 5s because in essence, that's what you chose to do. Or just take you phone to Verizon and get a different sim. There will be instructions with the phone when it arrives.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:07 AM   #4
christof
macrumors 6502

Verizon doesn't charge for SIM cards. Just visit your local corporate Verizon Store, and they'll give you a new SIM card for your devices. The only catch, you must have a device.

I tried to get a SIM for my iPads, but they wouldn't let me keep unlimited data. They said I had to show a smartphone device. From there, I could swap the SIM to any other device I wanted.

Good luck.
Mac LC, Performa600CD, Centris660av, PB3400c, iBook SE FW, TiBook Gbit, PB G4 12.1, MBA A, rMBP 13. iPod mini 1, shuffle 1, nano 1. VZ iPhone 4S/5/5S, iPad 4/mini. ATT iPhone 1/3G/4S/5/5S, iPad 1/2/3.
christof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Texxy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Verizon doesn't charge for SIM cards. Just visit your local corporate Verizon Store, and they'll give you a new SIM card for your devices. The only catch, you must have a device.

I tried to get a SIM for my iPads, but they wouldn't let me keep unlimited data. They said I had to show a smartphone device. From there, I could swap the SIM to any other device I wanted.

Good luck.
Well I was thinking that too but wouldn't the new iPhone 5S come with a NEW Sim Card in it regardless? Like I would already have a spare...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6
christof
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well I was thinking that too but wouldn't the new iPhone 5S come with a NEW Sim Card in it regardless? Like I would already have a spare...
I assume all iPhone models, except for T-Mobile "unlocked" versions, come with SIM cards. I don't know why the Verizon online purchasing website asks you if you want to keep your SIM card [and, supposedly, not receive a new one].
Mac LC, Performa600CD, Centris660av, PB3400c, iBook SE FW, TiBook Gbit, PB G4 12.1, MBA A, rMBP 13. iPod mini 1, shuffle 1, nano 1. VZ iPhone 4S/5/5S, iPad 4/mini. ATT iPhone 1/3G/4S/5/5S, iPad 1/2/3.
christof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:39 PM   #7
lifeguard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
I assume all iPhone models, except for T-Mobile "unlocked" versions, come with SIM cards. I don't know why the Verizon online purchasing website asks you if you want to keep your SIM card [and, supposedly, not receive a new one].
HAs anyone received their new 5s and it not had a sim card in it? I clicked I wanted to keep my Sim card (I plan on giving my 5 to the wife) I figured I would pop out the sim from my 5 throw it in the 5s take the 5s one and activate it in the 5.

Now I am thinking I am going to have to make a trip to Verizon
lifeguard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Texxy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
HAs anyone received their new 5s and it not had a sim card in it? I clicked I wanted to keep my Sim card (I plan on giving my 5 to the wife) I figured I would pop out the sim from my 5 throw it in the 5s take the 5s one and activate it in the 5.

Now I am thinking I am going to have to make a trip to Verizon
It came with a Sim Card, dont have to make a trip, you are golden Just call them!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone