Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has released a significant update to Google Translate for iOS, including a visual redesign that is similar to that of the "flat" design principles found in iOS 7, as well as new features such as handwriting input for 49 different languages with support for text input and spoken translations, Seven of the languages including Bosnian, Cebuano, Hmong, Javanese, Khmer, Lao, and Marathi are new in the most recent update.

google_translate-800x457.png
When you're trekking around a new place or trying to communicate with someone who speaks a different language, Google Translate helps break down the language barrier. Today we updated and optimized the Google Translate app for iOS 7, where you'll see a fresh new look, handwriting support, and 70+ languages.
Google Translate for iOS originally launched in 2011, with the redesign of the app following a number of other updates for iOS 7, including updates for Chrome, Gmail, and the release of the new Quickoffice and Google Wallet for iOS. Google Translate is a free download and is available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Google Translate' for iOS Updated with Handwriting Integration, Support for 7 New Languages

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
the apple character writing interface is better, it doesn't randomly decide when I finished when I really paused

Blau

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Redlands, CA
This is great. I've been waiting for them to update for iOS 7 for a while now and the handwriting tool is pretty neat.

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I just installed this and it crashes upon opening...using IOS 7, iPhone 5.

Edit:
I can't seem to get this to download. Whenever I try it just installs the old version, even though I'm running iOS 7.

This is what happend to me to, I just tried again and it grabbed the new one.

Last edited:

LukeHarrison

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
I can't seem to get this to download. Whenever I try it just installs the old version, even though I'm running iOS 7.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Google Translate is one of their nicer tools. Plus I give them credit for working to keep the styling up to date. Search, Translate, and Transit... 3 reasons I still like Google! (I also like blocking their cookies and trackers, and using Bing a lot :) )

(I thought that tablet UI screenshot was an abomination... until I grasped that it was really 3 iPhone screenshots stuck together.)

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Anyone else having trouble updating? It keeps downloading with the old icon and crashed upon start (still looks like the old app when it first opens).

Thanks

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
iOS 6-style icon, iOS 6-style keyboard, iOS 6-style interface.

Well done Google. A timely release. At least it works again...

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
"including a visual redesign that is similar to that of the "flat" design principles found in iOS 7"

Looks like I'll be skipping this one.

belita58

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013

Edit:

This is what happend to me to, I just tried again and it grabbed the new one.

It happened to me too.. How did you fixed this problem? please let me know as I use google translate very often.
Thanks

----------

It happened to me too.. How did you fixed this problem? please let me know as I use google translate very often.
Thanks

----------

Anyone else having trouble updating? It keeps downloading with the old icon and crashed upon start (still looks like the old app when it first opens).

Thanks

:mad: it happened to me too.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
This was one of those apps that I had to have when switching from droid to iPhone. It is absolutely indispensable in my work. It works great and it's easy to use. Sadly, or funnily, it's faster on my iPhone than it was on my droid.

TDMR

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I don't like this update, it seems like once you have made a translation, you can't reopen that text and edit/add stuff to it, you have to start writing it again. Am I missing something here?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'm enjoying all the enhancements in handwriting recognition. I mean I can type far faster than I write (virtual keyboard or real), but quickly looking up something like Arabic or Chinese is somewhat...difficult.

Not a proper iOS 7 app. Still uses the old keyboard. :(

At least Google Chrome uses the iOS keyboard (or something like enough the iOS 7 keyboard), the one before was awkward to me.

Now if only I could disable the giant voice button for more screen real estate. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.