Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

A7 Processor Manufactured by Samsung, M7 is Standalone Processor From NXP

Chipworks is performing a more in-depth examination of the iPhone 5s than the one performed by iFixit last night.

Among its discoveries, Chipworks found that the A7 chip is manufactured by Samsung, a big win for that firm after rumors surfaced earlier this year that Taiwan Semiconductor Company (TSMC) might win the contract for the new chip. Code discovered in iOS 7 back in July did suggest that Samsung would remain the primary manufacturer for the A7.

Chipworks also found what it believes to be the M7 motion coprocessor, which iFixit dubbed the "magical" chip because it couldn't be found on the logic board during the original teardown. Instead, the M7 is a discrete processor from NXP:

Quote:
Luckily, we've been able to locate the M7 in the form the NXP LPC18A1. The LPC1800 series are high-performing Cortx-M3 based microcontrollers. This represents a big win for NXP. We had anticipated the M7 to be an NXP device based on input from industry analysts and our partners and we are happy to see this to be the case.

The M7 is dedicated to processing and translating the inputs provided to it by the discrete sensors; the gyroscope, accelerometer and electro magnetic compass mounted throughout the main printed circuit board. Traditional Apple techniques lead us to believe that the these discrete sensors will most likely be STMicroelectronics for the accelerometer and the gyroscope while the electro magnetic compass would again be an Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM). We have since confirmed the compass to be AKM's AK8963.
Chipworks will be continuing its teardown throughout the day.

Article Link: A7 Processor Manufactured by Samsung, M7 is Standalone Processor From NXP
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:54 PM   #2
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

They also confirmed the A7 is samsung built.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
carl0sian
macrumors regular

I see an intel manufactured A8 processor in the near future..
carl0sian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:57 PM   #4
taptic
macrumors 65816

This affects me big time! I am so glad someone found where the new chip is!
taptic is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

ugh! when will they get rid of those gross Samsung components

/s
uknowimright is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Yojimbo007
macrumors regular

I hate the fact that samsung is manufacturing this chip.
I dont feel comfortable with it...who knows what kind of insight that gives to this lowlife company!
Yojimbo007 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #7
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

I still think the M7 is relatively useless.

Especially for those who don't use exercise apps
VanillaCracker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #8
kunai
macrumors regular

Cue fanboys who will buy the iPhone despite the fact that it has Samsung-made parts and then bash Samsung endlessly using pejoratives like "Scum$sung" in 3,

kunai is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:00 PM   #9
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Head explosions about a chip being made by Samsung (for reasons why this truly bothers people on this forum, still unknown) in 3, 2...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunai View Post
Cue fanboys who will buy the iPhone despite the fact that it has Samsung-made parts and then bash Samsung endlessly using pejoratives like "Scum$sung" in 3,

lol. My personal favorite is "Samedung".
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:01 PM   #10
kunai
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post
I dont feel comfortable with it...who knows what kind of insight that gives to this lowlife company!
Then you need to grow up. Samsung makes the Retina display, the fastest SSD disks that Apple uses in the MacBook Pro Retina, and makes the best ARM chips in the industry.

If you can't handle that, you're a deluded fanboy, and they're not "a lowlife company." They make good products for those who want to have the best specs over a curated user experience.

Just because we prefer the iPhone does not make it justified to bash a company for making a phone with rounded corners, and especially one that makes 50% of the technology in your beloved Apple devices. Excellent technology, I may add; they're at the top of the industry with hardware. Nobody makes better chips or components than they do.
kunai is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:01 PM   #11
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

You mean, like the way that Apple hired away Samsung's top CPU designer last Fall?

kdarling is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Risco
macrumors 65816

This proves that regardless of all the lawsuits, Samsung is still Apples lapdog.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Still on good terms as far as unfair trade goes.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:03 PM   #14
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCracker View Post
I still think the M7 is relatively useless.

Especially for those who don't use exercise apps
do you want greater battery life?
you want the M7
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:03 PM   #15
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

I've been warned before on this forum about alleged "trolling".

Posts like these, while informational, on the front page is essentially just trolling the users of this site.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:04 PM   #16
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
This proves that regardless of all the lawsuits, Samsung is still Apples lapdog.
or the other way around......they hate them, but noone else can make their stuff as well as samsung.
how many threads do we have about LG retina displays?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:05 PM   #17
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Head explosions about a chip being made by Samsung (for reasons why this truly bothers people on this forum, still unknown) in 3, 2...
You guys are both too late, look at the posts above yours.

I don't know why people have such hate for Samsung. You know they make refrigerators, oil tankers, and sell life insurance and medical equipment too right? Are you going to dismiss all of those because you think their cell phone division copied Apple?

By the way, Chipworks is just down the street from where I'm sitting right now. Wish I could stroll over and see them working...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:08 PM   #18
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
You guys are both too late, look at the posts above yours.

I don't know why people have such hate for Samsung. You know they make refrigerators, oil tankers, and sell life insurance and medical equipment too right? Are you going to dismiss all of those because you think their cell phone division copied Apple?

By the way, Chipworks is just down the street from where I'm sitting right now. Wish I could stroll over and see them working...
I know first-hand that Samsung makes fantastic washer/dryer combos.
ToomeyND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Or Apple is Samsung's depending on how you look at it. Sure, Apple has the popular product that use the chips, but Samsung makes the chips that make Apple's popular products go.

You'd think that if they could find someone else to do it, they would. But they keep delaying the transition...and delaying it...and delaying it.
Renzatic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:11 PM   #20
cgk.emu
Banned

Quote:
Then you need to grow up. Samsung makes the Retina display, the fastest SSD disks that Apple uses in the MacBook Pro Retina, and makes the best ARM chips in the industry.

If you can't handle that, you're a deluded fanboy, and they're not "a lowlife company." They make good products for those who want to have the best specs over a curated user experience.

Just because we prefer the iPhone does not make it justified to bash a company for making a phone with rounded corners, and especially one that makes 50% of the technology in your beloved Apple devices. Excellent technology, I may add; they're at the top of the industry with hardware. Nobody makes better chips or components than they do.
I like the fact that you randomly register on forums just to bash people. Your last comment was extremely childish.
cgk.emu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:12 PM   #21
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Contrast this to the leaked A7 from June (manufactured last year)

When I asked Anand Shimpi if that indeed was a TSMC test run, he just replied ""
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:16 PM   #22
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
It looks like Apple really, really needs Samsung.

The rumors were that TMSC got the A7 contract. Nope.
iGrip is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:16 PM   #23
tonytiger13
macrumors regular

In a corporate business, that's one way of working it. Split the businesses into separate businesses that operate completely separate from one another. Sure they attach the name Samsung, which I love their TVs, but I'm just not an Android user. I love their fridges too. Oh and their processors. Samsung has to get the business of Apple even if one of their other arms are directly competing with them. They're completely different businesses that happen to have the same name.
tonytiger13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:17 PM   #24
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
It looks like Apple really, really needs Samsung.

The rumors were that TMSC got the A7 contract. Nope.
No, the latest rumors were that it didn't start until A8. As far as we know, it was correct. A8 remains to be seen.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:19 PM   #25
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
do you want greater battery life?
you want the M7
I think you highly overestimate how much battery changing the screen rotation really drains....also I have that turned off.
VanillaCracker is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion