Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
The bottom line is this.
Samsung and Apple are companies and will do what is in the interest of making money.

Companies like Apple and Samsung sue each other *ALL* the time.
They eventually settle or are told to settle.

Samsung built/bought/refurbed a FAB in Austin to support Apple.
They will guarantee Apple wafers, TSMC will not. Nuf said.
I can give you a list of companies that do business with the competition.

Ever see a Coke truck drive into a Pepsi plant?? Yes.
Pepsi has the fountain rights to Dr. Pepper in some regions.
If Coke wants to use Dr. Pepper in fountain units, they either need to pick up the product or have Pepsi deliver it to their facility. OUCH!
Now a driver drinking a Coke in a Pepsi uniform would get fired.

Business is business. Money trumps feelings.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Then you need to grow up. Samsung makes the Retina display

They don't make the Retina display for the iPhones.

the fastest SSD disks that Apple uses in the MacBook Pro Retina, and makes the best ARM chips in the industry.

Certainly for the SSD. But questionable for the best ARM chips. Arguably TSMC makes ARM chips that are better, as evidenced by Samsung themselves choosing it over their own chips. I always find it interesting that nobody mentions the majority of Galaxy S4 contain processors made by TSMC, not Samsung.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
The topic of conversation is Samsung builds the a7 chip!
That is a source a major concern as samsung has demonstrated zero ethics!
Samsung chose to bring this onto themselves by their conduct!
I am merely a person who has observed the conduct and am disgusted by it!

It is more than clear that some people posting here are samsung tolls!
Or they live under a rock when it comes to samsung ethics!
For me it is as clear as day light!

Do you own products with Samsung made parts?

What is the smartphone you are using currently?

Picka

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
They don't make the Retina display for the iPhones.

Certainly for the SSD. But questionable for the best ARM chips. Arguably TSMC makes ARM chips that are better, as evidenced by Samsung themselves choosing it over their own chips. I always find it interesting that nobody mentions the majority of Galaxy S4 contain processors made by TSMC, not Samsung.

Isn't that because of supply limitations? Guess they find it more profitable to build chips for Apple while outsourcing for some of their products.

If Apple drops them as suppliers, they'll just switch chips for their own devices.

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
I like the fact that you randomly register on forums just to bash people. Your last comment was extremely childish.

???

I've been here since June and have been posting on UI customization threads for the Mac and iPhone, and have partaken in several discussions that are unrelated to "bashing people" far before this article got posted to MR.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Isn't that because of supply limitations? Guess they find it more profitable to build chips for Apple while outsourcing for some of their products.

No, their own Exynos chip of this generation had a lot of problems and the TSMC-made Qualcomm chips were reportedly chosen as the better option. The upcoming Galaxy Note 3 will also be using TSMC chips.

If Apple drops them as suppliers, they'll just switch chips for their own devices.

That depends. The mobile division of Samsung probably will not use Samsung chips just because it's made by Samsung.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Well then, Samsung announcing the 64 bit chip is not so far fetch after all. Should be on the next Samsung phones soon. So much for Apple 1 or 2 year lead. lol

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
My concern is the lowlife and shameless ways samsung goes about doing business
I have zero respect for that.. And the sooner apple rids itself of these scumbags the better it ill be!

----------

Oh give me a break..
Man the degree of ignorance is amazing.
Yup sure apple copies samsung. Lol
Does that make u sleep better?

Being fair towards a company is not trolling. You think a company that offers heavily discounted medical imaging equipment, MRI and CT machines, and heart monitors, should go away?

Because they imitate Apple's design?

Your attitude towards this is ridiculous. I love Apple to death, but I'm quite sick of the Samsung-bashing. It's not even like they make the best Android phones, that crown goes to Google's Nexus devices by LG and HTC.

----------

You guys are both too late, look at the posts above yours.

I don't know why people have such hate for Samsung. You know they make refrigerators, oil tankers, and sell life insurance and medical equipment too right? Are you going to dismiss all of those because you think their cell phone division copied Apple?

By the way, Chipworks is just down the street from where I'm sitting right now. Wish I could stroll over and see them working...

The logic is running low in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Being fair towards a company is not trolling. You think a company that offers heavily discounted medical imaging equipment, MRI and CT machines, and heart monitors, should go away?

Because they imitate Apple's design?

Your attitude towards this is ridiculous. I love Apple to death, but I'm quite sick of the Samsung-bashing. It's not even like they make the best Android phones, that crown goes to Google's Nexus devices by LG and HTC.

----------

The logic is running low in this thread.

To be fair, this thread never stood a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip5y

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
So the M7 is actually a NXP LPC18A1. Seems like Apple thought putting a M7 logo on it would make it seem more unique/exclusive and better marketing wise.
Apple can do great things but I have to say I personally don't like this side of Apple by which I mean taking credit for the work/products of other companies (and this does happen from time to time), making it look like it's their design/idea.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
As no one knows the contracts, deals and possible alternatives for Apple and Samsung, the thread will be the usual spin garbage (it already was on page 1).

So it's

1) Samsung totally depends on Apple. Why would they supply components to a company that dragged them to court?

or

2) Apple can't exist without Samsung. Why would they have a company manufacture parts for them if they hate them so much and feel that they steel their ideas?

(or there's the third alternative that in the end the business happens on a totally different level than the "A needs B - in your face, stupid fanboys1!!1"-crap)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So the M7 is actually a NXP LPC18A1. Seems like Apple thought putting a M7 logo on it would make it seem more unique/exclusive and better marketing wise.
Apple can do great things but I have to say I personally don't like this side of Apple by which I mean taking credit for the work/products of other companies (and this does happen from time to time), making it look like it's their design/idea.

Yeah. "Apple can do great things" but they are best at propaganda. Apple has actually followed Samsung lead here but if you read tech news one would think that Apple made a "revolutionary" innovation here. Samsung put low-power sensor hub from Atmel in Galaxy S4 way ahead of Apple and for exactly the same reasons (more information here) and nobody payed attention.

minkeycat

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2013
UK
I hate the fact that samsung is manufacturing this chip.
I dont feel comfortable with it...who knows what kind of insight that gives to this lowlife company!

A lowlife company. Grow up! On what grounds do you say that ... Seeing as they make half of apples parts to give you a product you obviously love!

Chip5y

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Yeah. "Apple can do great things" but they are best at propaganda. Apple has actually followed Samsung lead here but if you read tech news one would think that Apple made a "revolutionary" innovation here. Samsung put low-power sensor hub from Atmel in Galaxy S4 way ahead of Apple and for exactly the same reasons (more information here) and nobody payed attention.

Yes I was already aware of this, I didn't mean to present the M7 as something new I know that it's not. Qualcomm also has a similar sensor hub. I was just disagreeing with the marketing tactics.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Or Apple is Samsung's depending on how you look at it. Sure, Apple has the popular product that use the chips, but Samsung makes the chips that make Apple's popular products go.

You'd think that if they could find someone else to do it, they would. But they keep delaying the transition...and delaying it...and delaying it.

Or maybe they are simply playing the "transition" hand to get better prices out of Samsung, in that case they are each other's. :)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Sure, but NXP data sheets mentions LXP1850/30/20/10, why not just pick a standard part number if it's a standard part.

It may have some customizations in it. Also, this isn't new. Apple has been renumbering Cirrus Logic and Dialog devices for a while now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.