Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I hate the fact that when configuring a sentence if you were to use dictation, for example you don't know how to spell a word and you were to use dictation in the middle of a sentence why does it always have to capitalize the word that you start with? Can't the phone be smart enough to know the capital doesn't belong in the middle of a sentence??

Is there any work around for this?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Haha this has always bothered me as well. There is no workaround to start with a lowercase letter at the very beginning of a message, however if you are midsentence you can start the dictation by saying "lower case" followed by what you are saying and it will be lowercase.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Haha this has always bothered me as well. There is no workaround to start with a lowercase letter at the very beginning of a message, however if you are midsentence you can start the dictation by saying "lower case" followed by what you are saying and it will be lowercase.

Ahhhh there is a work around then...well from one Canadian to another, thank you my friend!

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
settings>general>keyboard>auto capitalization - off!

for dictation and regular text too.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

Thanks, that's an interesting option… I only wish they had auto capitalization options for after a period (.) and or to turn it off while in the middle of a sentence while using Siri.

I tried the other guys advice about "lower case" and can't seem to make it work.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I hate the fact that when configuring a sentence if you were to use dictation, for example you don't know how to spell a word and you were to use dictation in the middle of a sentence why does it always have to capitalize the word that you start with? Can't the phone be smart enough to know the capital doesn't belong in the middle of a sentence??

Is there any work around for this?

That annoys the hell out of me too!

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
That annoys the hell out of me too!

You think there would be one person at Apple that would think "hey that kind of annoys me"… So everyone, is there a possible workaround or not? For example what would I have to say in order for dictation to write a lower case letter instead of a capital letter in the middle of a sentence?

Jon-PDX

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Pacific NW - USA
I have a 4S running iOS 6.1.3 and tried both of the following...

.........however if you are midsentence you can start the dictation by saying "lower case" followed by what you are saying and it will be lowercase.

Did not work..... it added "Lower Case" to the beginning of what I spoke.

This did not work either.

Jon...

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I tried the other guys advice about "lower case" and can't seem to make it work.

Did not work..... it added "Lower Case" to the beginning of what I spoke.

Hmmm that's strange. I have been using "lower case" for a long time now. In this online siri dictation guide, it doesn't list lower case as a command but they have "no caps on, no caps off". I tried this as well and the command works for me. Perhaps try that if lowercase does not work .

http://www.siriuserguide.com/siri-dictation-guide/

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
This has always bothered me too, but I haven't paid much attention to it recently and I'm thinking it might have been fixed in iOS7. I just played around a bit and I tried the following.

I started a text message and dictated "This is a", and it transcribed "This is a". I started dictation again and said "test" and it transcribed "test" without a capital. I played around a bit more and typed "This is a" and then dictated "test" and again it transcribed "test" with a lower case "t".

Are you guys using iOS7 or iOS6?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
If you resume dictation after stopping mid sentence then just restart by first saying "no caps". It works just fine. I use it constantly.

Last edited:

Jon-PDX

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Pacific NW - USA
Brett,

My phone is running iOS 6.1.3 and my iPad is running iOS 7.

I just duplicated what you did by stopping mid sentence before saying test, and also typing and then dictating test, on both devices and the results were....

iPad-3 iOS 7: "This is a test"

iPhone-4S iOS 6: "This is a Test"

So it appears they fixed it in iOS 7.

Jon...

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Brett,

My phone is running iOS 6.1.3 and my iPad is running iOS 7.

I just duplicated what you did by stopping mid sentence before saying test, and also typing and then dictating test, on both devices and the results were....

iPad-3 iOS 7: "This is a test"

iPhone-4S iOS 6: "This is a Test"

Jon...

Yes they did! It totally drove me insane before. I was very happy to see that now it doesn't automatically capitalize mid-sentence words if I start & stop. Siri's getting smarter!

Now if she would just learn that when your voice raises at the end of a sentence you've asked a question (at least in English) :D.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Now if she would just learn that when your voice raises at the end of a sentence you've asked a question (at least in English) :D.

That would be nice... but you can dictate "question mark" and she'll put a question mark at the end of your sentence.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I've done a couple of my own test and it seems to be working perfectly now… Maybe someone at Apple read our comments and made a quick switch to Siri over the network. Haha.... Not likely though

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA

Jon...

Nice, thanks for verifying. I've been looking forward to this. 6 not only makes it Capital but when you back up to correct it, remembers the position itself as being Capital. So you had to erase the space too or unshift before going forward again. Often ended up being faster to thumb type from the beginning.

Jon-PDX

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Pacific NW - USA
I totally forgot about it remembering the location of the capitol letter. I think that frustrated me even more than having to change to lower case for one letter because I would forget and have to do it twice :eek:

Jon...

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
I've done a couple of my own test and it seems to be working perfectly now… Maybe someone at Apple read our comments and made a quick switch to Siri over the network. Haha.... Not likely though

Made me crazy also. But this was fixed back in one of the early betas this year so I forgot about it. Definitely didn't JUST get fixed by Apple. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.