Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Police Department has begun handing out flyers near Apple Retail Stores in New York City encouraging users to download Apple's new iOS 7 software update, reports AllThingsD. Specifically, law enforcement is encouraging the use of Activation Lock, a new feature within iOS 7's Find My iPhone service that requires an Apple ID and password before anyone may turn off Find My iPhone, erase a device, or reactivate and use a device.
A new iPhone model also means a probable uptick in attempts to steal them. And since Friday's launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c also happens to coincide with the launch of Apple's iOS 7, which has some new security measures intended to deter theft, New York's finest and other police agencies around the U.S. are making an effort to get people to download it.
Twitter user Michael Hoffman posted the following photo of the flyer:
applenypd.jpg
Last week, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón praised iOS 7's Activation Lock, with both claiming it to be the "world's first attempt to implement a technological solution to the global smartphone theft epidemic". The pair had previously been pressing Apple on the subject of mobile device theft, with Gascón being impressed by Activation Lock in the following months. iOS 7 is a free download for the iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, iPad mini, and fifth-generation iPod touch, along with the recently released iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

Article Link: NYPD Distributing Flyers in New York City Recommending Users to Update to iOS 7

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Wow. I understand this, as a friend of mine's phone was stolen on the subway, but this still seems a little odd. I suppose that it can only be good for Apple to have an outside force recommending that users upgrade.

I didn't even really read the flier at first glance but this makes more sense after seeing that they have an 'Operation Identification Program'. It sounds like they spend a lot of time and energy on stolen smart phones. They spend much more time than I would have thought.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
It sounds like they spend a lot of time and energy on stolen smart phones.

I heard NYC's crime rate has gone up over the last year or two, and it's all because of iDevice theft. With Activation Lock in iOS 7, a lot of thefts should be deterred.

Blau

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Redlands, CA
I work in a pretty bad area, I'm glad I don't have to walk around there and risk getting mugged. My ex had her phone stolen before. Hope we see crime rates down on phones due to this feature.

polymersayb

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Someone on a different site was speculating that the flyers are primarily aimed at thieves rather than owners. If thieves know that iOS7 devices are (probably) useless if this feature is activated, they might be less tempted to steal them.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
In spite of the subject matter, the QR code, the URL and the fancy 2010s devices, somehow it still manages to look like a flyer from the 70s.

EDIT: The correct spelling is "!!1!". Idiots.

Last edited:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Using UPPERCASE + bold + underline at the same time, check.
Not proof-reading something you post in a newspaper, check.
Using a decades-old Apple logo, check.
Using a logo for bullets in a bullets list, check.

edit: "Talking about iOS 7 but showing devices running iOS 6, check."

Not really checking the image before posting my comment, check. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Shame they didn't mention to actually make sure you enable the activation lock. It implies that just downloading iOS 7 is enough to protect your device.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't think the NYPD should be spending time and resources on marketing Apple's iOS. Personally.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I feel bad for Android users... iOS 7 all over social networks, people bonding in long lines launch day, now the NYPD rubbing more alcohol on the wounds caused by being left out...
At least you guys have a cool looking mascot... Right? Oh and widgets.. Those are.. Useless, Nevermind...

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think the NYPD should be spending time and resources on marketing Apple's iOS. Personally.

Well, clearly they didn't spend *that* much on it, as it's very poorly thrown together. And anything that can be done to deter crime is a plus, thereby lowering the operating costs and pressure on your tax money, no?

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I feel bad for Android users... iOS 7 all over social networks, people bonding in long lines launch day, now the NYPD rubbing more alcohol on the wounds caused by being left out...
At least you guys have a cool looking mascot... Right? Oh and widgets.. Those are.. Useless, Nevermind...

You know what's funny? Since the initial "STILL NO WIDGETS" comments right after WWDC? I have not hear a single complaint about not having them.

Because, in typical Apple fashion, they didn't respond to "WE WANT WIDGETS" by giving us widgets.

They asked "What do people want widgets for?"

Answers (for 80% of people)
  • Weather
  • Quick Settings
  • Media Controls
  • Clock
  • Google Now

A quick web search had these in the top ten (along with things like multi-icon, evernote, and ScoreCenter)

How did Apple Respond? Control Center and a revamped Notification Center. In order from above
  • Today view of Notification Center now says "Partly cloudy today. It's currently 63; the high will be 77.
  • Control Center - Top rop
  • Control Center - Middle
  • Always a quick tap of the sleep/wake or home button
  • Today view of Notification Center + Siri

So, in lieu of widgets, we get the functionality to solve the "problems" most people would use widgets for.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
You know what's funny? Since the initial "STILL NO WIDGETS" comments right after WWDC? I have not hear a single complaint about not having them.

Because, in typical Apple fashion, they didn't respond to "WE WANT WIDGETS" by giving us widgets.

They asked "What do people want widgets for?"

Answers (for 80% of people)
  • Weather
  • Quick Settings
  • Media Controls
  • Clock
  • Google Now

A quick web search had these in the top ten (along with things like multi-icon, evernote, and ScoreCenter)

How did Apple Respond? Control Center and a revamped Notification Center. In order from above
  • Today view of Notification Center now says "Partly cloudy today. It's currently 63; the high will be 77.
  • Control Center - Top rop
  • Control Center - Middle
  • Always a quick tap of the sleep/wake or home button
  • Today view of Notification Center + Siri

So, in lieu of widgets, we get the functionality to solve the "problems" most people would use widgets for.
So true. I can't go back to having no today view. Meanwhile on my Android tablet I have no widgets and my home screen is very baren with 10-15 apps since I can't find good platform specific apps.. I guess that's the use of widgets, filling voids of space on the home screen.

jdylan

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
Don't be *******s, people

They are putting this out there to help you people, no need to make fun of them because they're not graphic designers. It was probably just made by some desk cop. Sorry if he isn't as cutting-edge as you are with all the latest fonts and icons, etc.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
They should focus more on improving people's security in NYC rather than doing free advertising for Apple :rolleyes:

there are plenty of spots in NYC where you can be robbed or killed in the city without having a smartphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.