Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Interestingly enough, (at least after downgrading from iOS 7) my phone went into Activation Lock on 6.1.4 and told me I'd need to put in my iCloud password before I could use the phone :)

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Using UPPERCASE + bold + underline at the same time, check.
Not proof-reading something you post in a newspaper, check.
Using a decades-old Apple logo, check.
Using a logo for bullets in a bullets list, check.
Talking about iOS 7 but showing devices running iOS 6, check.

Way to be a pedant :D It is a leaflet - nothing less, nothing more. It is not designed to educate, but merely to inform. It is something most people'll glance at once and throw in the dumpster, anyway.

Also, I'm pretty sure the iPhone in the pic is running iOS 7.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Ok spelling perhaps they should get right but they are doing a great public service with this information and I agree it is more to let potential thieves know stealing ios devices is now pointless.

I commend their effort.

And its some nice free pr for Apple to any ios users who somehow dont know about ios 7

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
I actually think this advert is a little misleading. It suggests that simply upgrading to ios7 will enable find my iPhone and by extension activation lock. Someone less tech savvy will download ios 7 and think they are safe. Once they've lost their phone they'll then realize that upgrading to ios 7 didn't turn on find my iPhone or activation lock.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I actually think this advert is a little misleading. It suggests that simply upgrading to ios7 will enable find my iPhone and by extension activation lock. Someone less tech savvy will download ios 7 and think they are safe. Once they've lost their phone they'll then realize that upgrading to ios 7 didn't turn on find my iPhone or activation lock.

All you have to do is set up an iCloud account and everything is activated, which Apple practically begs you to do.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Tax dollars hard at work.......come on, let's do something productive with that money, like teaching people not to steal in schools.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
First this...

next they'll be telling Android users to switch to iPhones so that they'll be more secure.

Then from PCs to Macs for the same reason.

KellyC

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
Sheeple...

"Register your devices with the NYPD'S Operation Identification Program"

GWIM2

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Scotland
and ...

use of entirely unnecessary multiple punctuation - check !!!!

meeks

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
Maybe my tin foil hat is a little too tight today but it seems like the police have an ulterior motive with this.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

May be deliberate. I found its quirkiness quite arresting.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
They should focus more on improving people's security in NYC rather than doing free advertising for Apple :rolleyes:

there are plenty of spots in NYC where you can be robbed or killed in the city without having a smartphone

You're missing the point. The small time criminals in NYC aren't watching the apple press releases and reading online websites about all the features of iOS 7. People are going to upgrade to iOS7 automatically with the NYPD telling them to do so.

This is an opportunity to teach the criminals about the new security features. Flyers on the streets, posters, things that they will see.

In a way, this is brilliant. Why would they put flyers like this around the apple store near a new iPhone 5S release event which has the built in iOS 7??? To let the people who just bought their phones have a clear passage to get home with their devices! This tells the criminals that there are things in place that will nab them for stealing the new phones. Stay away!

And why does it look like an ad that was made in the 70's? It's written very clearly for the unsophisticated street thug. It wasn't made for the people who have iPhones and expensive data plans.

Come on people..

kdarling

macrumors P6
I heard NYC's crime rate has gone up over the last year or two, and it's all because of iDevice theft. With Activation Lock in iOS 7, a lot of thefts should be deterred.

This. According to the FCC, about 40% of thefts in major US cities now involve phones, and you can guess which one is the most popular target.

The increase in NYC crime rate last year was because of iPhone and iPad thefts. San Francisco is the same way. Ditto Washington DC. Cities want iOS thefts to go away. Without them, the cities could claim a decrease in crime and look good.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Are you people serious? Complaining because a public service announcement has a typo or an old graphic? Clearly many of you don't interact with people's safety on a regular basis because if you did - you'd know that this "ad campaign" as some call it is well worth every penny.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Are you people serious? Complaining because a public service announcement has a typo or an old graphic? Clearly many of you don't interact with people's safety on a regular basis because if you did - you'd know that this "ad campaign" as some call it is well worth every penny.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. - Hunter S. Thompson

B744748

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
UK
Frankie Four Fingers

Well, speaking of security and my fingerprints falling into the wrong hand I have a question for the NYPD and users here: can you disable this TouchID and still secure your iPhone 5S the old fashioned way with a PIN?

http://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2013/ccc-breaks-apple-touchid

"We hope that this finally puts to rest the illusions people have about fingerprint biometrics. It is plain stupid to use something that you can´t change and that you leave everywhere every day as a security token", said Frank Rieger, spokesperson of the CCC.
:eek:

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=224562

The firm has also made password manager apps redundant by introducing an encrypted iCloud Keychain folder that automatically and securely stores multiple account logins and passwords.

It can save credit card details, too.
Great, everything in one 'secure' place for anyone to steal with a copied latex fingerprint...or a hacked off finger! :mad:

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This. According to the FCC, about 40% of thefts in major US cities now involve phones, and you can guess which one is the most popular target.

The increase in NYC crime rate last year was because of iPhone and iPad thefts. San Francisco is the same way. Ditto Washington DC. Cities want iOS thefts to go away. Without them, the cities could claim a decrease in crime and look good.

I recall NYC nightly news reports recommending owners to use non-Apple headphones as the "white" wires were the targeting factor. Ironic as Apple marketed the white headphones to be an iconic staple for their mobile devices. Go figure.

CBRADIO84

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I don't get it

I don't get it, if NYPD are posting this, and advising people, the Internet Crime/iOS Theft Department has obviously not heard of "DFU Mode"

I was able to restore my phone to factory settings with a passcode lock and find my iPhone turned on

kdarling

macrumors P6
I recall NYC nightly news reports recommending owners to use non-Apple headphones as the "white" wires were the targeting factor. Ironic as Apple marketed the white headphones to be an iconic staple for their mobile devices. Go figure.

There was a Huffington Post article not long ago about that.

A woman in the Bronx gave her 24 year old brother a new iPhone, but kept warning him not to wear the white earphones when he went home at night after working in Manhattan.

Later, he was shot and killed for his iPhone just two blocks from home. The headphones were still on his ears when they found his body. Police later found the phone on Craiglist and caught the killers, but his parents are of course inconsolable, and wish he'd never gotten it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.