Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_smart_cover.jpg
According to ex-Apple Developer Relations employee and industry analyst Jamie Ryan (via Gizmodo UK), Apple has been testing a first-party keyboard case to be potentially released alongside the upcoming fifth-generation iPad. The case itself would reportedly be similar in nature to Microsoft's Touch Cover, which is made for the Surface line of tablets.
I've been speaking to a couple of people at Apple for the last few days and they have told me that a case for the full size iPad that mimics Microsofts touch cover has been prototyped. It's not clear whether the process is far enough along to make this Tuesdays event but they did say a few different styles had been in testing for a while.
Ryan also adds that the primary motivation behind the development of the case is that Apple's current Bluetooth keyboard is not as integrated as Microsoft's Touch Cover, and that Apple is interested to create a better keyboard solution for the full-size iPad in order to distinguish it from the iPad mini. The analyst also adds that other cover-like accessories are also being looked at for release.

However, Ryan stresses that the covers being tested are prototypes that may not be released at all, as it is expected for Apple to disregard various mock-ups during the development of a product. Apple's ideas for enhanced Smart Covers including not only keyboard functionality but also solar cells or secondary displays have previously surfaced in patent applications.

Currently, Apple sells the Smart Cover and the Smart Case for the full-sized iPad, which both emphasize the ability to act as stands and protective covers, but do not include other features such as keyboard integration.

Apple will hold a media event this Tuesday, October 22 where it is expected to announce a number of hardware and software products, including the fifth-generation iPad and the second-generation iPad mini, as well as Haswell MacBook Pros, Mavericks, revamped versions of iLife and iWork for both Mac and iOS, the redesigned Mac Pro, and possibly a new display to go with it. A minor update to the Apple TV may also be included, with an update to the Mac mini also possible.

Article Link: Apple Testing Keyboard Case for Potential Release Alongside iPad 5

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I think that it is important for Apple to do something here. This is the one thing that MicroSoft got right. The Tablet is replacing the lower end of the laptop market and having a keybord is important even in a touch screen environment. If someone want to do text editing on their tablet, a physical keybord will always be better than the virtual one (even though I use it and like it for shorter sessions). Maybe one day the dication will be good enough that keybords really are not needed, but we are not there yet. If Apple truly is thinking about a 12" iPad, I cannot see how they would market this without a keybord.

Bottom line, this is good if true and I hope they do something awesome. I have been wanting a keybord for my iPad, but most are still too bulky. I look forward to something awesome from jony!

Last edited:

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Lol, where are all the "COPYERZZZZZZ" post?

Apple is clearly copying The Surface, but I'm sure the fanboyz will find a way to justify it.

But we all know when another phone with a finger scanner comes out everyone's going to be like "THESE PPL ALWAYS COPY APPLE!?!"

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Lol, where are all the "COPYERZZZZZZ" post?

Apple is clearly copying The Surface, but I'm sure the fanboyz will find a way to justify it.

But we all know when another phone with a finger scanner comes out everyone's going to be like "THESE PPL ALWAYS COPY APPLE!?!"

Microsoft just built a Smart Cover and slapped a keyboard on it. If apple takes it a step further and adds a new great feature, it's not copying. It's just friendly competition, and without competition, there's no innovation.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
It'll be a 'projected' (dynamic) keyboard, as Apple won't want to have a fixed keyboard design.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
If this is only for the 5 I won't be happy.

Edit- by that I mean I would love for there to be a version for the mini two I'm going to buy

Last edited:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
ONCE AGAIN, Apple no longer leaders NOW only followers - just playing catch-up.

It just said Apple has been considering a keyboard case, not that it was coming out. Apple prototypes many things that never see the light of day.

But if Apple did this I'd bet it would be better than Microsoft's implementation. Apple obsessive iterates before releasing things. They are not perfect but have a much better track record with hardware than anyone else.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I don't expect it tomorrow. Heard no rumors beforehand. Even so, this'll probably be even more expensive than Microsoft's price tag on the Type Cover @ $119. No thanks.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So something Apple hasn't released, and may never release is a copy of Microsoft?

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"But if Apple did this I'd bet it would be better than Microsoft's implementation."

So typical - pooh-poohed when Microsoft puts it out BUT deemed brilliant when Apple takes it market.

The fanboyz rhetoric is tiresome, ain't it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.