Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Just as a title suggests… My HDR keeps turning itself off even though the app is running in the background.

This is happening to you too?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Mine turns off too. If the app is left on in the background for a while, I have to touch to turn it back on. Before the upgrade I did not have to do this. My flash does not turn on when the HDR is off, I just have to turn the HDR back on because it turns itself off, no HDR and no flash. Not really that big of a deal, it just takes an extra step to turn it back on

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I turned on HDR and have been closing the app, removing it from my recently used apps list, and then opening the app. So far it's stayed on. I take a lot of pictures so I'll know by tomorrow if it's going to stay on or not.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Mine is doing the same thing. It did it twice yesterday, and it did it again just now after I remembered to look. Gotta get this fixed!
iPhone 5, BTW.

Last edited:

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I turned on HDR and have been closing the app, removing it from my recently used apps list, and then opening the app. So far it's stayed on. I take a lot of pictures so I'll know by tomorrow if it's going to stay on or not.

That's interesting I'll have to try that out. I'll report back. I just removed it from the tray, instead of leaving it open in the background. I'll give it 30 min. and then try it out.

Volcano22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Manchester
Mine's doing the same since updating to iOS 7.0.3. I'm on an iPhone 5. Even closing out the app and then re-opening it doesn't fix it. Stays off and I have to manually toggle it back on?!

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Mine's doing the same since updating to iOS 7.0.3. I'm on an iPhone 5. Even closing out the app and then re-opening it doesn't fix it. Stays off and I have to manually toggle it back on?!

Same here I just tried opening up the app after having it closed for 30 minutes and I had to reenable HDR once again. It doesn't matter if the app is running in the background or not I will always have to reenable HDR. It's kind of annoying, especially because it worked flawlessly just a couple of days ago before I updated to 7.0.3

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'd actually kind of like that feature.

Photos are faster without HDR, so better for quick shots and action.

And only turn HDR on when need multiple exposure. And automatically turning off after I've done that for other quick shots.

malventano

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I'd actually kind of like that feature.

It's not a feature, it's a bug. The HDR option is supposed to be persistent. Currently HDR randomly turns off when switching back into / relaunching the photo app. Sometimes it stays on, sometimes it doesn't.

Some people choose to shoot HDR for all individual shots.

What I've noted:
- If HDR is on, and the camera app is force quit and relaunched, it stays on.
- If HDR is on, and the camera app is backgrounded then switched back to within a short time frame, it stays on.

It seems to only be an issue if the OS decides to kill the backgrounded camera app to free up resources. Then when you relaunch it, it comes back as disabled. More confusing is that the saved image of the camera app still has HDR set to on, so for the first quarter second or so, it appears to be on, but then flips back off as the cached image is replaced with the real app output.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
FYI the "grid" option in settings also won't stick. Unchecks itself as soon as you exit camera settings. Anybody else?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
That's interesting I'll have to try that out. I'll report back. I just removed it from the tray, instead of leaving it open in the background. I'll give it 30 min. and then try it out.

My HDR is also being disabled. :( Every picture I take is HDR unless I need the flash so now I'll simply need to remember to turn it on every time until they fix it or don't.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
It stays on on my 5S even if I close out the app then relaunch. HDR stays on until I turn it off or hit the flash on or back to auto. Then it goes off until I engage it again.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Same issue. Sucks because I leave HDR on. 7.0.2 it was fine. Now my gyroscope works better, but they've broken the camera app. Wish they would fix bugs without introducing new ones.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
This is not a bug, it's very common on Android phones were once the camera app closes HDR setting would turn off, just seem Apple have decided to add this feature into the 7.0.3 update.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
This is not a bug, it's very common on Android phones were once the camera app closes HDR setting would turn off, just seem Apple have decided to add this feature into the 7.0.3 update.

Apple wouldn't make a change like this randomly. It's a bug. Unless you work for Apple, and work in iOS 7 development,you wouldn't know.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple wouldn't make a change like this randomly. It's a bug. Unless you work for Apple, and workin iOS 7 development,you wouldn't know.
Apple also suddenly got rid of the unlock sound without any information about it...hard to say if that's a bug or not.

gSOLO

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Baltimore, MD
This is bugging me a bit. Perhaps I'll get used to it, but it's a little annoying having to turn it on every other time I want to take some pics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.