Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punisher1-1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Since upgrading to mavericks I notice that when scrolling up or down on the trackpad in a webpage shakes the screen left or right. I turned off gestures to swipe to back page and no help. Anyone else notice this?

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I can force it to jitter if I scroll at like a 45 degree angle, otherwise it doesn't jitter.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Since upgrading to mavericks I notice that when scrolling up or down on the trackpad in a webpage shakes the screen left or right. I turned off gestures to swipe to back page and no help. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed this right away after upgrading. I think it's due to the trackpad being more sensitive overall, it's noticing the tiniest movements of your fingers.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I have the same problem, scrolling is definitely not as smooth as mountain lion.

Scrolling seems a little slower, i always have it set to max.

Jitters from sided to side a little.

When i stop scrolling the screen tends to jump a little sometimes.

I remember similar problems with Lion (i think) that were put right when mountain lion came out.

At the moment i am regretting upgrading to mavericks, mountain lion was definitely smoother and more stable.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Looks like were in the minority, i thought there would be more people having this problem, its really annoying me now.

daveash

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I'm having exactly the same problem. Really frustrating. The performance improvements on my rMBP make the upgrade worthwhile to me, but this is really annoying.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Are these problems just down to using safari as a browser or is it something to do with mavericks, if its just down to safari would i be better using a different browser like google chrome.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
MN
I notice this as well. I am using an external mouse for my laptop and if I move my mouse up and down in safari navigating the page I can see the page move up and down just a little bit. Quite annoying.

punisher1-1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Its not just safari its everything and it doesn't take much movement at all to make it happen. It is very annoying. I sent a bug report but we will see how that goes. Mavericks is great otherwise but this just isn't smooth like I would expect from apple. They usually take pride in the physics of scrolling and things like the bounce effect for the iPhone. Hopefully it gets fixed.

andg

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2013

Here's a video that shows the problem:

Notice how the page jumps back after scrolling downwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghFRWGGBw0

It's really easy to reproduce, if you scroll downwards with an angle, then it will happen a lot. Seems very distracting compared to how scrolling worked in 10.8.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I haven't gone to Mavericks yet and I notice it after just updating safari...

So it seems i would have had these problems anyway as it is the update to safari rather than the upgrade to mavericks causing them.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Im noticing this in the App Store, if you don't swipe exactly straight up or down it's like it gets stuck.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Its not just safari its everything and it doesn't take much movement at all to make it happen. It is very annoying. I sent a bug report but we will see how that goes. Mavericks is great otherwise but this just isn't smooth like I would expect from apple. They usually take pride in the physics of scrolling and things like the bounce effect for the iPhone. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Do apple reply to bug reports, or is it just wait and see.

It is becoming more annoying each day, i thought i might have got used to it by now, i really can't believe there aren't loads more complaints.

punisher1-1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I have never got a response but I am surprised too that more people aren't complaining. I usually don't complain about all the little bugs especially after the initial release but this is real annoying. It's not only safari either I noticed it in almost all the apps. Not only does it jerk left to right but it sometimes bounces up and down. I think it has something to do with how the physics of the bounces and scrolling are jacked up.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I have been trying to work out if this is a maverick or a safari problem, i began to think it was a safari problem, but with some people having problems with apps i think it must be a maverick problem.

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
The scrolling issue appears in all apps where horizontal scrolling is possible.

I have it in Safari, Chrome, Mac App Store and so on

maverick7

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Oh damn it. Because of this thread I just realise that I notice the same bug :(

My bad it is really strange, luckily I use mouse more often then trackpad but it sucks anyway.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I have been trying to work out if this is a maverick or a safari problem, i began to think it was a safari problem, but with some people having problems with apps i think it must be a maverick problem.
Mavericks added a new scrolling mechanism that attempts to prefetch more content, i.e - instead of only rendering the visible area of a web-page or other content, it performs overdraw above and below the visible area (and to either side presumably) so that if you scroll then the newly visible content is already partially or fully available to display.

In theory it should be faster, but it's going to depend a lot on how aggressively Mavericks currently requests overdraw, how far it draws etc.

But I expect that will be the cause of any performance issues while scrolling, which is unfortunate as it's intended to do exactly the opposite, but in a web-browser that could mean drawing potentially expensive to render elements that aren't visible yet, but it should be done with a low priority so I'm not sure why it would cause issues.

The jitter is a strange one though, I'd say others are right that's most likely an issue with sensitivity of the track-pad; it's something Apple could definitely fix by making a better job of detecting when an action is mostly horizontal or vertical, and smoothing it accordingly, but it's kind of weird if Mountain Lion did this and Mavericks now doesn't.

TopherHengge

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
I've been experiencing the same thing.

In addition, I've also been experiencing some jitters when swiping through each page in Launchpad. Anyone else seeing this too? E.g., I'll try and swipe to the next page on the right and instead of swiping all the way over, it gets stuck in-between pages.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I wonder how long it will be before we see a software update and whether it will solve these problems, does anyone know if apple have actually acknowledged there is a problem.

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
I wonder how long it will be before we see a software update and whether it will solve these problems, does anyone know if apple have actually acknowledged there is a problem.

As far as i know is this bug there since DP1

iraklis9

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
The trackpad doesnt even respond to my swipe up/down sometimes. Odd.

I have exactly the same problem with magic mouse and scrolling. The mouse sometimes does not respond to vertical scrolling until the third or fourth attempt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.