Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Is this something you might be waiting for instead of going for the current 9.7 and 10.1 inch tablets?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
For that size touchscreen I'd probably prefer a convertible laptop. The 13.3 Android + Win 8 Samsung Ativ Q would be my dream machine. If it ever gets released, that is :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B822Un-WR44

I was enamored with the Ativ Q as well, until the rumors that it may not be released at all due to patent issues.

Alternatively, the Asus Transformer Book Trio caught my eye. Similar to the Ativ Q except in a slightly smaller form factor and lower resolution (still 1080p though) with a completely removable tablet. Heck you can even run the tablet separately in Android and the base as a Windows PC connected to an external display.

My enthusiasm is tempered a bit though as I picked up a Surface Pro 2 yesterday (and it's now packed up to go back). I haven't used Windows full-time in a few years and after a few hours, quickly remembered why I ditched it. It's OK as a desktop OS but really inadequate in the tablet format and Microsoft and Google's inability to play nice together limits it further. Pair it with Android in one device would improve this predicament but I really just don't like Windows very much.

Now if Apple would create a hybrid tablet/laptop that could run both iOS and OS X, I'd be all in. Heck, I'd even like to see a similar device with Android/Chrome OS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.